• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lapis Re:LiGHTs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, this show was painful to watch. It's completely obvious that this is little more than a soulless cash grab and nothing else. It could have been something great if they not only cut down half the cast, focused more on the world they live in, and not focused so much on shilling cute girls and giant leaps in logic that makes everyone dumber than a sack of bricks. And the main conflict could have been resolved in five minutes if Tiara and her sister had just talked to each other!! Oh, and that creepy siscon girl Tsubaki is a creepy siscon who really shouldn't be there.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't have high expectations going into this but was pleasantly surprised. It's not something I'll ever watch again but it entertained me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I liked it for what it is: an idol show with cute girls and cliché tropes and very basic writing. Not the best anime, but not complete trash.
Bayuro2.0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of idol girls animes, I really enjoyed watching this show. It can be compared to the likes of Love Live, Revue Starlight etc. but with plenty of magic. Because of being a girl dominated anime, yuri undertones are inevitable. My favorite pair of course Tiara and Rosetta. I also like their songs especially the ones sung by LiGHTs.

Last edited by Bayuro2.0 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
My only regret is that it only last for a single cour, as a fan since the first album i already knew when it was announced that i would like the anime and it was better than what i expected, keep in mind that most idol animes ( or rather idol franchise in general ) are and are meant to be superficial SoL which emphasize on the characters rather than the plot, don't overthink and enjoy the cuteness.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:30 am Reply with quote
I had a lot of fun with this show. I'll agree that it's more for genre enthusiasts, but I would eagerly watch a sequel.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:06 am Reply with quote
In some ways I feel like it was one of the dark horses of the season. Sure it was not perfect, had some questionable choices - like the panty-stealing siscon, which is something that could have been skipped - but overall landed on its feet; for me, the final episode is something that matters on the overall impression when I judge a show and they went all out on that one. It was done in a way that makes me wish for a sequel (which might never come). But mostly, it had fun with its premise: an interesting take on magic which in this case casted by whistling with two fingers, a medieval magitek world with idols wielding monster-repelling magic through songs, also with some fun episodes like the one about chasing a duck through town or a haunted mansion that is not what it seems. But the characters were fun too, like Maryberry who talks through a board she invented because she's too shy and has a story arc midway spoiler[and her board becomes plot relevant at the finale when it turn out Tiara's sister is using something similar because she can't talk anymore without exerting herself], or Lavie, who's not the sharpest tool in the shed but she thinks otherwise and unwittingly sabotages the team constantly. It's certainly not for everyone and I'm aware I have specific tastes that is not aligned with the mainstream most of the time, but it's certainly worth a try for those with similar tastes.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Knowing from months before it began that its purpose for existence was to sell 20+ characters to gacha whales, my expectations weren't high, but it ended up being my favorite new show of the summer. If anything, I could have enjoyed it more if it had given up on having "main characters" at all, and focused equally on all of them as a sort of anthology series. But yeah, that final episode was fire. Would pull for SSR Chloe (the headmistress).

Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't fully dropped it but I'm not exactly in a rush to watch past episode 5. Every episode so far has had a wonderful comic moment that's worth watching but like the music, the comedy's not the main point of the series so there's no promise or expectation that it'll be there.

And since even selling the series isn't the point of the series, it's hard to get interested in continuing. The utter complete opposite of Bang Dream season 2 and 3 which even though selling the franchise and its legion of characters was a primary point, each season had distinct story arcs compelling the viewer to watch further.

It needed a better identity more than just "prologue" to a game or manga and that way, Bang Dream is a bad example as its best parts are developmental chapters in a multimedia story that already exists with a built in audience. Then again, I'm picking up the Bang Dream lore as I go along because those two seasons were so compelling about the stories of Popping Party, Roselia and RAS.

In the end, I'd say this series was just done wrong and that's getting too common as these MM adaptations refuse to step on the toes of other parts of the franchise.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Among moe fans, Bang Dream 2 is the current textbook example of a gacha show that went full ensemble at the expense of anything else. I don't even remember what its main arc was supposed to be... wasn't it just setup for season 3? I'd rank Lapis above Bang Dream 2, but well below the outstanding Bang Dream 3.

It's worth noting that Pastel Palettes, Hello Happy World, and what's that other one called... Afterglow, pretty much got shoved out of the limelight in season 3 to make room for the three featured groups.

Anyone who's seen Girls und Panzer (not a gacha show, though there was a gacha much later) or Shirobako knows just how well a huge cast can be handled. (But please don't pull Mizushima away from GuP Finale to direct gacha ads, he still needs to try to get it done by 2026)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1