• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Gymnastics Samurai (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote

(The) Gymnastics Samurai (TV)

Genres: Sports

Plot Summary: In 2002, the world of Japanese men's gymnastics was still strong. Shotaro Aragaki devoted his entire life to the sport, but it didn't go as he'd planned. His coach Amakusa suggests he retires, and his daughter Rei agrees. But then an encounter comes that changes the fate of the Aragaki family forever.
----------------------------------

Original MAPPA anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Looks like a good show, I am interested to watch more. Also want to see more that cool grandma.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 (finale)

This seems to be one of the rare shows with a little shorter length. I guess that solved something.

My opinion on the show, I think it turned into a little disappointed. Cam in a little bit expecting that it might be a Yuri on Ice, and never quite reached those levels, which is probably an unfair level of expectations. If I had to pick out a best episode, it would have to be the one where Rei had essentially been left on her own, she tried to put up a brave face but things fell to pieces, and then everyone comes together to find her. That felt the most emotionally invested, especially when we see what Big Bird means to her.

I think the show had a bunch of interesting pieces, the up and comer who wants to prove himself, and super cool grandma who evidently has her hands in things. But I think that it just did not use all the pieces in an interesting way, like the and comer that does feel like something to make an easy comparison to Yuri on Ice, he kind of felt a bit underused and distant from the other cast than the OP might have had you thought. It does kind of feel like we stick quite a bit to our lead character as a pillar, which maybe does not always feel the most interesting. Of course we also have Rei and Leo, but Rei;s support of her father often felt like not getting in his way, but Rei's movie interest could be cute. Most memorable was her Edward Scizorhand costume. Also when Rei had that friend. Rei just kind of came across as the more interesting character over our actual main character. And I would have loved to see more of her grandmother.

It did not really otherwise manage to get me excited over it, and I would say managed to coast by on generally being high level as MAPPA. I am not going to take jabs much, I understand what it even did was not easy, and I am probably lacking some appreciation for what I could describe as otherwise high quality. I did like the opening, it had a fun sense its own quirky attitude, which I might have liked if it appeared in the rest of the show. My rating is Good (7/10), it is worth seeing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1