• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Court Hands Suspended Sentence to act-age Manga Writer Tatsuya Matsuki for Indecent Act

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
I can see all of this ending up with act-age continuation, and anime adaptation announcement.
Nate148

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:29 am Reply with quote
I don't unless some one vouses for him even then it would be a new thing
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:31 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
I can see all of this ending up with act-age continuation, and anime adaptation announcement.

Stranger things have happened, but I can't imagine the artist working with him after this. Who wants to be associated with his work?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:38 am Reply with quote
They went through extraordinary measures to cut ties with him. I doubt he'll ever write for Shueisha again; I'm pretty sure his crimes are considered worse than Nobuhiro Watsuki's or Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro's.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:38 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

Shiro Usuzaki, the artist for the series, publicly denounced him and is already working with a different writer on a recently published one-shot. That combined with the total delisting of anything act-age related in the wake of his arrest makes me very certain that won't happen.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:

Stranger things have happened, but I can't imagine the artist working with him after this. Who wants to be associated with his work?
Personally, I don't read manga, but from what I found out, a lot of people liked it.

As for why artists would decide to work again with Matsuki, I don't know - my guts tell me that there won't actually be any kind of continuation; it is really weird feeling, because at the same time it seems that anything can happen, especially now that his sentence was changed.

Who knows, both writer, and artists HAD to spend a lot of time together, so they at least know each other to some degree; maybe if Matsuki simply says something like Look, I was [expletive] idiot, pervert, loser, moron - I really fucked up, and I deserve everything that is happening to me, but this manga isn't only mine, it belongs to both of us.
I will never do, or try some bullshit like that again, so let us continue, not for me, but for you, and your wonderful art, and for all those fans that I dissapointed."

Maybe if he did something like that, then maaaaybe Usazaki would agree to work with him again.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

I seriously doubt it. He might write a new series after his probation though.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Psajdak wrote:

Shiro Usuzaki, the artist for the series, publicly denounced him and is already working with a different writer on a recently published one-shot. That combined with the total delisting of anything act-age related in the wake of his arrest makes me very certain that won't happen.

Yeah, he can be quietly shoved aside, she found a new partner in less than a year.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:47 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

maybe if Matsuki simply says something like Look, I was [expletive] idiot, pervert, loser, moron - I really fucked up, and I deserve everything that is happening to me, but this manga isn't only mine, it belongs to both of us.
I will never do, or try some bullshit like that again, so let us continue, not for me, but for you, and your wonderful art, and for all those fans that I dissapointed."

Maybe if he did something like that, then maaaaybe Usazaki would agree to work with him again.

I mean, he made a bunch of excuses for his behavior instead of saying anything like you're suggesting. Act-Age is long dead and he'll likely end up a pariah. The thought that saying the right words would make the artist drop their morals and current work to team up again is laughable. Not to mention what extra damage this news may have brought to the victims.

Last edited by Gem-Bug on Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:50 am Reply with quote
A man sexually assaults two children and the courts tell him "well okay we'll let you go if you promise to behave"

Absolutely baffling. The only message this sends is "don't get caught next time".
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
A man sexually assaults two children and the courts tell him "well okay we'll let you go if you promise to behave"

Absolutely baffling. The only message this sends is "don't get caught next time".

Seriously, this is utterly disgusting. And it's hardly an issue confined to Japan either: just how many attorneys in the US have successfully used the vile "she was asking for it" defense to get their clients out of hot water? Wherever it happens, it's nauseating.
Ryanion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
He is extremely lucky that he's getting the suspension. Hopefully he will learn from his crimes and try to do better and not touch people he shouldn't touch. And thankfully that's all it was. I hope he never thought about doing worse to the girls. That's a major no-no.
Dovah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
just how many attorneys in the US have successfully used the vile "she was asking for it" defense to get their clients out of hot water? Wherever it happens, it's nauseating.

As far as I know, we have no idea if that's what's happened in this particular case. You're assuming the worst without any evidence to support it.

If the man is successfully rehabilitated (again we don't know the details; what does good behavior mean?) over the 3 years, does it matter if he gets a sentence or not? Where do we draw the line between seeking justice and fulfilling the need for revenge? These are questions as old as the concept of justice itself, and they have never been given an answer that's satisfied everyone.

I'm not defending the man or his actions, I just don't think it's wise to make any conclusions about the details of this case or the motivations behind the decision until we know the details.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:19 am Reply with quote
Dovah wrote:
Quote:
just how many attorneys in the US have successfully used the vile "she was asking for it" defense to get their clients out of hot water? Wherever it happens, it's nauseating.

As far as I know, we have no idea if that's what's happened in this particular case. You're assuming the worst without any evidence to support it.

If the man is successfully rehabilitated (again we don't know the details; what does good behavior mean?) over the 3 years, does it matter if he gets a sentence or not? Where do we draw the line between seeking justice and fulfilling the need for revenge? These are questions as old as the concept of justice itself, and they have never been given an answer that's satisfied everyone.

I'm not defending the man or his actions, I just don't think it's wise to make any conclusions about the details of this case or the motivations behind the decision until we know the details.

We know the details. This has been covered and he admitted to it. It's really odd to declare you're not defending him if you can't even be bothered to know that much before stepping in to defend him.
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:15 am Reply with quote
Dovah wrote:
Quote:

Sex offenders do not get rehabilitated by a judge wagging their finger at them. You can't say "what's the line between justice and revenge??" when approximately zero justice has been done. In this case the judge is putting other people at risk by taking a dude who groped children's word that he was really super sorry and he'll never do it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3