• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mamoru Hosoda Unveils New Belle Anime Film's Teaser

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
That scene near the end reminded me of Bokura no War Game then I read the synopsis and that's why. lol They actually mentioned it this time. I'm watching it just for that now.
catbot158

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, a girl that calls herself Belle online, and is attractive towards others...and she meets a monstrous creature in a palace-like world....

Tale as old as time,
True as it can be~
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
They've already decided on the English localized title? Why does it have to be completely different from the original Japanese? (Or is the JP one just a subtitle?)
RockSplash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
They've already decided on the English localized title? Why does it have to be completely different from the original Japanese? (Or is the JP one just a subtitle?)

They want something marketable. Most American titles are 5 words or shorter. Its just a difference in taste. Plus, getting tickets for belle is a lot easier than dragons and freckles or whatever the original title was.
GainaxFanboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:21 pm Reply with quote
It looks gorgeous.
zero-r

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:24 pm Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
Hmm, a girl that calls herself Belle online, and is attractive towards others...and she meets a monstrous creature in a palace-like world....

Tale as old as time,
True as it can be~

For real.... there is no need to call it "Belle" (or "The Princess of Dragons and Freckles"), you can just call it "Beauty and The Beast version 2.0"... Because that's what this is, right? A modernize take of that story (as an anime).
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
Beauty and the Beast in anime form with a dash of commentary on social media? Okay.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote
Back to the best bits of Summer Wars and maybe even Digimon.

Looks like fun. There are a couple of Hosoda films I haven't gotten yet (I guess, just The Boy and the Beast, maybe this weekend), but I've enjoyed the one's I have seen.

And I really like the aesthetic of his e-universe bits.
Posts Sometimes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Ryū to Sobakasu no Hime, literally "The Princess of Dragons and Freckles")

...Are you sure that's the translation you want to go with? Maybe it's just me, but "The Dragon and the Freckle Princess" sounds more like what the title is meant to say in this case.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The film Suzu, a 17-year-old high school student who lost her mother at an early age due to an accident, and is now living in an unpopulated rural town with her father.

Ironically, he is the SAME Hosoda who created ''Wolf Children'' about single mother raising children whose father is dead and after that he's switching to dead mom cliche in his newer movies (''The Boy and The Beast'' and now ''Belle'', ugh). Not gonna lie, I'm dissapointed on Hosoda.
Reminds me of Makoto Shinkai and his movies, which the MC's father in ''Children Who Chase Lost Voice'' is dead while mother is alive but after that Shinkai switches to dead mom cliche in newer movies, ''Your Name''(Yotsuba and possibly Taki) and ''Weathering with You''(Hina and Moka). Go figure. Rolling Eyes

Basically it's The Boy and The Beast 2.0 but with female MC.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
Lancelotginus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Hosoda really needs to bring back Satoku Okudera to write the screenplays for his movies. With her help Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Wolf Children were well done and enjoyable. Without her, Boy and the Beast and Mirai were barely watchable.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:03 am Reply with quote
Summer Wars and Our War Game are my favorite Hosoda works so I'm down for them remaking Our War Game again even after the recent Digimon reboot had already done another modern retelling of Our War Game.
SouthParkboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the teaser it looks interesting and it's Summer Wars + Beauty and the Beast by way of Jem and the Holograms or any other magical idol girl animated product of the 80's and maybe a little bit of Ready Player One and Wreck-It Ralph. Also I bet you $20 GKIDS is so going to get USA rights to this film in the upcoming of this 2021.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1