×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
ANN Newsletter • Can't visit ANN every day? Get the week's biggest and most interesting stories in your inbox every Sunday! read more

Forum - View topic
The Enemy Within in the War of 86




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stretch2424



Joined: 14 Mar 2008
Posts: 134
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:38 am Reply with quote
"unlike the Republic of Magnolia, no one is personally piloting Legion machines."

It wasn't until episode six that this began to dawn on me, and I wasn't completely certain until I read the confirmation here. Did I miss something in episode one? I was wondering why the personnel of Spearhead fought so hard and so effectively against the Legion despite being treated like crap by the Magnolia brass. So, they did it because as bad as Alba prejudices are, the Legion winning the war would be even worse. I wish this had been made clear earlier on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 1386
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
Stretch2424 wrote:
"unlike the Republic of Magnolia, no one is personally piloting Legion machines."

It wasn't until episode six that this began to dawn on me, and I wasn't completely certain until I read the confirmation here. Did I miss something in episode one? I was wondering why the personnel of Spearhead fought so hard and so effectively against the Legion despite being treated like crap by the Magnolia brass. So, they did it because as bad as Alba prejudices are, the Legion winning the war would be even worse. I wish this had been made clear earlier on.

When the team told Lena about the truth of Spearhead she asked them why they're still fighting for a Republic that turned on them and spat at them at every turn and Raiden talked about how they know from experience that there are some good Alban's and that they don't all deserve to die...that and their own pride that lets them carry on and keep fighting rather than just giving up and letting the Legion consume everything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 3008
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
So I get that the big revelation, the enemy use the brain of soldier, is supposed to lead to the Alba rethinking sacrificing the 86. But isn't a more natural decision by a society like Alba to just setup the machine to destroy the corpse if it ever fall in combat or, even better, to just setup the 86 brain so that it work like a poison pill if ever scavenged?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 1386
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So I get that the big revelation, the enemy use the brain of soldier, is supposed to lead to the Alba rethinking sacrificing the 86. But isn't a more natural decision by a society like Alba to just setup the machine to destroy the corpse if it ever fall in combat or, even better, to just setup the 86 brain so that it work like a poison pill if ever scavenged?

The only Alban that knows about the brain harvesting is Lena. She doesn't have any concrete evidence that would make them believe or care considering she got that information from the Eighty-Six.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
web0shi



Joined: 28 Nov 2016
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only Alban that knows about the brain harvesting is Lena. She doesn't have any concrete evidence that would make them believe or care considering she got that information from the Eighty-Six.


Shin's ESP ability is actually an evidence Lena can give for the military to take her seriously if she really wants to bring this up. But like what Annette mentioned in episode 6 about what they'll do to the Processors, it would mean putting his and probably the rest of the Spearhead's lives at risk as he gets turned into a guinea pig. Though at the end spoiler[Lena will include these in her reports (now that the Republic can't pluck Shin's brains out since he's gone) which only got dismissed as a bunch of bs.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group