• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Gundam: Reconguista in G Compilation Film Opens in Japan on July 22

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:11 am Reply with quote
Annoyingly both of these are region locked on YouTube, but you can at least see the trailer on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/gundam_reco/status/1381895433262411778

Thank you for the translation of Tomino's comments on the other video.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I'll ever understand why these compilation movies are a thing. I mean, I know why they repackaged the 1979 show back in the day, but everything since?
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
I don't think I'll ever understand why these compilation movies are a thing. I mean, I know why they repackaged the 1979 show back in the day, but everything since?

Well, the Madoka Magica compilation movies are pretty good.

I've also read comments online saying the G-Reco movies do improve the pacing and storyline. But, yeah, I do think it's weird seeing Tomino saying he made this for kids.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Some things can be improved by doing them, like the animation usually. I wish ZZ Gundam had gotten one instead because that show needs to be fixed or something in compilation movie form.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
The waifu Aida is looking magnificent in the center of that artwork as she should. I wish there was a retcon of events. Tomino fumbled the bag on my spoiler[ship].
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

Most have had a recut version, yes.
08th has Miller's Report. 0083 has Afterglow of Zeon. Zeta has ANT. Seed, Destiny and 00 have the Special Editions. Turn A has its movies. Age has MoE. The only ones that don't are OVAs a la 0080, Unicorn, etc or movies like CCA and Narrative. The only shows that don't have recaps yet are IBO and ZZ.

There's also Fighters/Divers but that's basically its own thing at this point.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:06 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:

Most have had a recut version, yes.
08th has Miller's Report. 0083 has Afterglow of Zeon. Zeta has ANT. Seed, Destiny and 00 have the Special Editions. Turn A has its movies. Age has MoE. The only ones that don't are OVAs a la 0080, Unicorn, etc or movies like CCA and Narrative. The only shows that don't have recaps yet are IBO and ZZ.

There's also Fighters/Divers but that's basically its own thing at this point.

Unicorn and Origin actually got the opposite treatment, Sunrise decided to just cut them up and repackage them as TV shows. Wing also has an OVA version that retold or summed up the whole show.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote
Compilations are frequently just "celebration" movies more than anything. They're typically not long enough to function as a replacement for the show, unless the original show was short (Madoka Magica). Although that's always arguable, as with the first Gundam movies.

G-Reco is 26 episodes turned in 5 movies, which is unusual. Even with cuts and additions, it's pretty apparent this will cover the entire story pretty thoroughly - so far each movie accounts for about 5 episodes. So this is trying to be the definitive version.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
The waifu Aida is looking magnificent in the center of that artwork as she should. I wish there was a retcon of events. Tomino fumbled the bag on my spoiler[ship].

Do you expect a different ending then the tv show ?
The Bandsaw Vigilante

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Also, Tomino has since attempted to (verbally at conventions, at least) retcon the timeframe-setting of G Reco to AFTER the events of Turn A Gundam, despite Turn A taking place some 10,000 years after the end of the Universal Century and the Reconguista in G TV show making several very explicit references to only 1,014 years having passed since the end of the UC.

For anyone who's seen the new G Reco compilation-films, has Tomino actually changed anything on this front, or is the chronology still the same as before?
leonard.lim.944023

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The Bandsaw Vigilante wrote:
Also, Tomino has since attempted to (verbally at conventions, at least) retcon the timeframe-setting of G Reco to AFTER the events of Turn A Gundam, despite Turn A taking place some 10,000 years after the end of the Universal Century and the Reconguista in G TV show making several very explicit references to only 1,014 years having passed since the end of the UC.

For anyone who's seen the new G Reco compilation-films, has Tomino actually changed anything on this front, or is the chronology still the same as before?

Greco and turn a are still officially non canon.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vNbixIXIxXM&t=1s
https://www.lisani.jp/gundam40th/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1