• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fist of the North Star Volume 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
Might be wishful thinking on my part, but I really hope Kinnikuman ends up getting a proper English release like this as well.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Might be wishful thinking on my part, but I really hope Kinnikuman ends up getting a proper English release like this as well.

Unfortunately, that'll be a never-ending wish. Kinnikuman is both longer & older than Fist, even without taking into consideration it's return a decade ago (which now makes it literally more than twice as long!), the Ultimate Muscle manga was a notorious bomb that apparently became a sort of black sheep at Viz, and there's been no new efforts for the franchise on the anime front ever since the UM manga's final volume came out. At least Fist of the North Star has had a decade+ of new anime productions & re-releases of the old stuff in North America that have allowed it to see a bit of a resurgence in fan appreciation.

And I say this as someone who absolutely loved Ultimate Muscle, and would absolutely love to own the OG manga as well.
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I too would absolutely kill for an official Kinnikuman release.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that thinks the first half of Hokuto no Ken is an absolute classic while the 2nd half gets rarely discussed or re-adapted because it retcons crucial details of characters that almost ruins the story as a whole ?
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks the first half of Hokuto no Ken is an absolute classic while the 2nd half gets rarely discussed or re-adapted because it retcons crucial details of characters that almost ruins the story as a whole ?

no you're not the only one. Furthermore, there are 3 parts including the post-Kaioh events.

But the series concludes just fine post-Raoh.
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Those early sections are SO iconic. But then again, I think most would agree that HnK goes a bit too long - once again, setting the rule for all shonen fighting stuff going forward Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Editors not wanting to cancel the series, and well, you see what happens. Even the ultra faithful second Hokuto Musou game essentially fast forwarded from Kaioh to the last arc.

Last edited by Beatdigga on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Grant D Clown wrote:
Those early sections are SO iconic. But then again, I think most would agree that HnK goes a bit too long - once again, setting the rule for all shonen fighting stuff going forward Laughing

Oh, Fist wasn't exactly the standard setter for shonen fighting manga going on for longer than intended; it was just one of the more notable ones. This has been a thing with Shonen Jump since the very beginning, since the magazine's first real hit in the late 60s & early 70s, Otoko Ippiki Gaki Daisho by Hiroshi Motomiya (which helped inspire Tetsuo Hara to become a mangaka, in fact), literally tried to end early by killing off its lead character, only for the editor to use correction tape (i.e. White Out) to remove the killing blow & even the kanji for "End" before it went to print. Motomiya then had to make the next chapter be about how everyone got the lead to the hospital to save his life, before continuing the series. Then, after being allowed to end Gaki Daisho, Motomiya had to return to it once again after his next manga bombed, before finally being allowed to end it, once & for all.

I mean... damn.

To no surprise, Motomiya actually banned anything past Volume 11 of Gaki Daisho to ever get re-released until 2018, when he finally dropped the ban for Jump's 50th Anniversary. To be fair, that's a completely justified thing to do, I'd argue. I don't know if Hara & Buronson had it better or worse, honestly.
Grant D Clown
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Fair point!
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:

Your not no, its a common opinion that the quality declines after the Raoh Saga.

Which makes sense when you find out the creators originally intended to end Ken after the Raoh Saga but were forced to continue it because the series was too popular, scrambling them to come up with new content after they had decided to end it.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:

Even ignoring retcons the 2nd half isn't very well written. And then manages to get even worse once Ken leaves Asura and the manga just sort of meanders for a couple volumes until it limps to the finish line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1