• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BookLive Suspends Ranking of Kings Manga's English Release for Retranslation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
09jcg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunate this happened, but good on them for identifying it and fixing it early. First impressions are important. I'm not a fan of it, but its clear the RoK manga can become a very big deal here in the west
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
That's good to know. Ranking of Kings deserves better than the shoddy translation it just got.
NikamiYuhara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Hope this is a thorough retranslation and not just MTL with more editing.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:52 am Reply with quote
Well damn good for the fans, they got a big break here.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:00 am Reply with quote
Someone on twitter proved over half of the translation was copied from the scanlation that came out months before.
https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1509774854525898756

They pirated the pirates.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:55 am Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
Someone on twitter proved over half of the translation was copied from the scanlation that came out months before.

Am I surprised? No.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, that sucks (and copying off an online translation of the manga? Come on) but at least they're addressing some issues.
Charou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:14 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

Thank you for crediting the 'reader' who did all the legwork to bring this scandal to light. Katrina is not a nobody: her translations/localisations are very high quality (eg Interspecies Reviewers, O Maidens in your Savage Season, Kageki Shoujo, Dragon House Hunting).

For whatever reason, ANN seem inclined to dismiss her as 'a reader', probably because they only looked at the BookLive release, which is a ridiculously corporate piece of spin. Had ANN done their due diligence they'd know this is a much bigger deal than 'translation errors'.
Kendall TV

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:29 am Reply with quote
Once again, we have a company that can easily afford to pay more for a quality product, yet decide to try to go the cheap route anyway.

By hiring an agency, BookLive certainly saved money. And you can be sure the agency, Digital Dragon, didn't pay a good wage to the translator. It looks like the agency contracts with Indonesian talent. I've heard of agencies paying translators living in first-world countries 100 yen per page, which is basically nothing. And with the cost of living in Indonesia being extremely low, I wouldn't be surprised if the agency paid their RoK translator a fraction of that. No wonder the translator didn't give a crap about the work and was content with copying the already terrible scanlation. It's a sad and pathetic situation all around.

BookLive could have hired a well-known translator who has a strong page count and resume under their belt. Yes, it would have cost significantly more. But what's the real cost of BookLive's bad decision? I'm willing to bet most English manga readers have never heard of BookLive, and now their first encounter with the company is this disgraceful news.

I think everybody should take a look at the doc Katrina Leonoudakis made where she did a line-by-line comparison of BookLive's and the scanlator's versions because it really shows how dirty the translator did this series.

https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1510072654731964418

Somebody out there is bound to think that the scanlators agreed for their translation to be used by Digital Dragon or BookLive, but Katrina also found out that that's not the case.

https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1509898055453081601
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1