• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Film Earns Estimated US$71 Million in U.S. Opening Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:56 pm Reply with quote
The 3rd Sonic movie had better take place in Tokyo. That’s where Sega’s main headquarters are.
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the film, but all the wedding plotline was so forced and unnecessary, just a excuse to give "character development" to pointless characters who nobody cares about.
Zen119

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Glad that the movie doing good at the box office. I really hope Jim Carrey will make an exception for this one and return for the third movie before he truly retires just to complete the trilogy.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Why is the movie not coming out in Japan till like four months later?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:26 pm Reply with quote
ZetMoon80 wrote:
I enjoyed the film, but all the wedding plotline was so forced and unnecessary, just a excuse to give "character development" to pointless characters who nobody cares about.

It did suddenly feel like a whole 'nother movie at that part, but I think the intention was to, hastily albeit, introduce G.U.N. into the universe thereby cementing the possibilities of the third movie, at least going by the aftercredits. Overall I felt the Colonel character's acting was pretty much on autopilot.

If they decide to throw in the female hedgehog Amy whatever, I at least want her to be voiced by Rachel Bloom. Always preferred the Satam characters but that book's pretty much closed; I've had plenty of time to get over it anyway.
Lann

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:48 am Reply with quote
Okay I've had enough of people saying that the wedding plotline sucked. It was a much needed side step to take a breather from the action, and I laughed a lot during it.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:53 am Reply with quote
Those box-office numbers are incredible, I'm not sure if Sonic 2 will be able to top Warcraft, which I think it's still the highest-grossing video game adaptation, but I'm pretty sure it can out gross Uncharted.
It's also nice to see so much positivity towards Sonic, aside for the first movie I don't remember so much positivity surrounding the brand since the release of Sonic Mania back in 2017. I hope we'll be getting more information about Sonic Origins and Sonic Frontiers.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:40 am Reply with quote
All of this bodes well for the sequel. Fingers crossed. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and am hoping they introduce Amy and Rouge as well as Shadow.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
Okay I've had enough of people saying that the wedding plotline sucked. It was a much needed side step to take a breather from the action, and I laughed a lot during it.

I liked it a lot too! Easily one of my favorite scenes.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
And it deserves it too. A fantastic movie from start to finish. I even liked the wedding plot line, since it brought in (spoiler) and helped with some thematic bits setting up Team Sonic in a way
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:21 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
The 3rd Sonic movie had better take place in Tokyo. That’s where Sega’s main headquarters are.

I mean yeah Sega is based in Tokyo but it’s not like the game has to feature Tokyo considering the only Sonic game I can think of that featured Tokyo was Mario & Sonic at the 2020 Olympics.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Will Eggman come back for the third movie? Or will [not wanna spoil the stinger] be the main primary villain.

I'm hoping Jim Carrey gets a huge dumpster truck filled with cash and agrees to a fourth movie.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I mean yeah Sega is based in Tokyo but it’s not like the game has to feature Tokyo considering the only Sonic game I can think of that featured Tokyo was Mario & Sonic at the 2020 Olympics.

True, but it would be very exciting nonetheless. Of course, I may be biased since I actually had the pleasure to visit there two months before the pandemic put everything to a standstill. I think it would be a lot of fun seeing Tails play Virtua Fighter in an arcade in Akihabara.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Let me clarify that I enjoyed the movie, wedding plotline included, only stating that the scene itself had a bit of tonal whiplash. It was entertaining and I liked it, even though it essentially stopped the plot temporarily.

And I stand by my statement that the Colonel was acting all goofy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1