• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rica Matsumoto Says She Earned No Royalties From Iconic Japanese Pokémon Theme Song

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
I'm completely for giving singers extended royalties for successful songs (in fact, I think it should be a requirement), so if she requested it, I'd support her, but I also think this is one of those cases where her reputation, from the song or otherwise, outclasses the need for it. I am happy for her success! She deserves it. =)
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
As a side note, voice actors almost never receive royalties for songs unless they are releasing from a record company. Character songs and the like (the Pokémon opening was probably considered on the same level) are usually a complete buy-out.
-someone who has personal experience calling in voice actors for character songs/theme songs to games sung as the character, not as the artist “so-and-so” from a record label.
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:29 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I'm completely for giving singers extended royalties for successful songs (in fact, I think it should be a requirement), so if she requested it, I'd support her, but I also think this is one of those cases where her reputation, from the song or otherwise, outclasses the need for it. I am happy for her success! She deserves it. =)

For sure, thankfully she found success either way, but the way artists get paid is really scummy sometimes.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:54 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Character songs and the like (the Pokémon opening was probably considered on the same level) are usually a complete buy-out.

So when the CDs sell, the profit is directed towards the Production Committee right?
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this is still the case because she's sang many more songs since then.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
So when the CDs sell, the profit is directed towards the Production Committee right?
More like to the music publisher labels that release the CD, which nearly always are the part of production commitees.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I guess that's why Maaya Sakamoto refuses to do character songs.She's the only main VA who didn't sing in the Monogatari franchise,for example.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:00 pm Reply with quote
POKEMON
GETTO DA ZE!

I know she isn't struggling for money, but she should still get royalties for the iconic theme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Understandable why she doesn't get royalties for performing the song compared to a writer and/or composer of the song.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Similar happened with the English theme song, ending in a settlement, that's even worth more money

"Can’t Regret Them All: The Story of the Very Lucrative ‘Pokemon Theme’ - Lawsuits, buyouts and the corporate reality behind one of the biggest theme songs of all time."

Quote:
Quickly, the decision was made to put out an album of original music, and 4Kids once again turned to Loeffler and Siegler to make it happen. Paige was called back in to sing an extended version of the “Pokémon Theme,” as well as a new song called “Viridian City” penned by Loeffler and songwriter Neil Jason. The finished album, 2 B A Master, was completed in less than a month, Loeffler has said in interviews, and featured 13 original songs sung by various session vocalists and artists. Released June 29, 1999, via the Koch Records label (alongside Nintendo of America, 4Kids Entertainment and Cherry Lane Music Publishing), 2 B A Master proved to be another hit for the franchise: it was certified platinum by the RIAA, having sold 500,000 copies in the United States, in four months. By 2003, Koch president Bob Frank claimed it had sold three million copies worldwide.

Not everyone was making money, however. Several of the vocalists who worked on the album, including Paige, were unhappy with their contracts. For recording the show’s initial 60-second theme song — which ran through January of 2000 — Paige says he was paid “in the three figures, with the promise of future compensation on the album.” But in the time between signing his initial contract and the album’s release, the Pokémon franchise had ballooned into a $5 billion global operation, and Paige’s contract did not include royalties from licensed products that used his voice.

“Between the TV show and the completion of the album, there was a myriad of other products that came up as well that started using little sound bytes of the song,” Paige says. “How do you determine what the compensation should be for a sound byte coming off a plastic watch? Or a little pinball machine? Or a room greeter in a Blockbuster video store?”

Paige hired a lawyer to try to recoup royalties from seven different companies that used his voice, a process he says played out over more than a year. In the end, a settlement was negotiated out of court with each of the companies that were using his voice paying Paige a flat fee amounting to a total less than $100,000, the singer says. (While Paige declined to be more specific than that, the New York Post put the number in the mid-five figures.) By the end of 2000, with estimates placing Pokémon’s worldwide value north of $10 billion, Paige was out.

“If I had taken that horrible, horrible, record-breaking horrible contract, based on the amount of success that Pokémon had, I would have made more money off of that bad contract than I did in the settlement,” he says. “I wish it would have amounted, in financial compensation, to what it is really worth… If you think that the theme song contributed 1/1,000th of a percentage to the overall from the time it was recorded — which I think is kind of fair — it would probably be $100 million worth of revenue… Of course, it wasn’t deemed so and the revenue was much, much, much less than that. But it taught me in the future to make sure that I don’t work for people that don’t have my best interests at heart.”
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
What does "Girigiri no Giri" (ギリギリのギリ) mean?

Quote:
Instead, she signed a contract that earned her a flat fee of 100,000 yen (approximately US$771 in today's currency) per song.

"Per song" as in each new song she sings?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:15 pm Reply with quote
That kind of sucks, but I'm glad she was able to do well in-spite of that and not need the royalties...even if she more than deserves them.
Metamarphosis

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:23 am Reply with quote
How about Love Live seiyuu? Their CDs song sell almost 40-60K copies every release. Do they also not getting the royalties?
SHD

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 4:31 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

It's along the lines of "grinding on just barely" (a native speaker can think up a catchier translation). The show is a so-called "real life documentary" about people who persevere in their (usually dream) profession even though they can barely make ends meet just from that, and may need to work side jobs to stay afloat. Like, seiyuu, animators, performers, pro gamers, etc. It can show someone doing that in the present, or look back at the hard times someone had in their past before they found success.

Metamarphosis wrote:
How about Love Live seiyuu? Their CDs song sell almost 40-60K copies every release. Do they also not getting the royalties?

I would assume it's either that, but they receive compensation whenever they perform the song at events/etc., or they do get royalties through their labels somehow. But honestly I think it's the former...
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:30 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:

It's along the lines of "grinding on just barely" (a native speaker can think up a catchier translation). The show is a so-called "real life documentary" about people who persevere in their (usually dream) profession even though they can barely make ends meet just from that, and may need to work side jobs to stay afloat. Like, seiyuu, animators, performers, pro gamers, etc. It can show someone doing that in the present, or look back at the hard times someone had in their past before they found success.

I see. Thanks for your reply!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2