• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The ANN Aftershow - Made in Abyss: Problematic Masterpiece?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes the fetishism & body-horror and other "weirdness" get ratcheted up with this next-oh so long- story arc.

If this coming season covers the entire arc...
FunkyDude88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Yes the fetishism & body-horror and other "weirdness" get ratcheted up with this next-oh so long- story arc.

Nice! That's some good news to hear
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I hate the word "problematic" so much. Made in Abyss is so great even because its author expresses himself freely, imho.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Made in Abyss has content that many viewers find uncomfortable, but that is not unique to this show. Anime as a medium is full of sketchy crap. I got weirded out by anime when I first encountered anime, but I became used to it over the years.

I am looking forward to MiA season 2, and I find it a bit baffling that after 5 years people still bring up the pedophile fetishes elements.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Made in Abyss is one of those series I really love, but can't recommend to friends unless they're already into it. Laughing
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I am looking forward to MiA season 2, and I find it a bit baffling that after 5 years people still bring up the pedophile fetishes elements.
Are there people who say that? It's a pretty core part of the series so it's hard to think people can enjoy the series if loli/shota stuff bothers them. The creator is pretty open about his interests in every public appearance and interview from what I have seen.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

Because MiA's "pedophile fetishes elements" are a ongoing - and a bit more of a thing - occurrence in the manga?

Be prepared for a new round of MiA's pedophile fetishes elements.
This season may adapt certain scenes involving kids' orifices being spoiler[sniffed and in another, licked clean.] And that's just a mild spoiler,not even the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I've never read the manga, and didn't find anything in the anime so far that bothered me especially, but definitely found some scenes in the movie downright uncomfortable, and not just in an I-empathize-with-your-pain kind of way.
pikabot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:06 am Reply with quote
The Made in Abyss author clearly has a great imagination and eye for visual design. There's a lot of cool stuff in there. Unfortunately, he's decided he'd rather write a fetish manga than an adventure manga. Shame.

Quote:
I find it a bit baffling that after 5 years people still bring up the pedophile fetishes elements.

Those elements haven't gone away or gotten better during the past five years!
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:12 am Reply with quote
I'm glad my opinion has already been said, but to put it in a more polite way, not all art has to be for everyone. I think Made in Abyss as it is now is better than Made in Abyss with a publisher standing over the author's shoulder telling him what he should and shouldn't write. Calling this, Goblin Slayer, or God forbid freaking Shield Hero problematic just because it isn't for your sensibilities is a bit silly when we allow works like Death Note, Future Diary, and Sword Art Online to have their harmless 15 minutes of fame.

I don't think any of those anime are even problematic by the way. I'm just pointing out a double standard I've been noticing. To me, problematic art isn't something that fetishizes something that would be harmful and unforgivable in real life, but something that conveys to its audience that the problematic thing in question is "cool" and you should do it. The things in Made in Abyss, more often than not, are played for horror. Sure, you can tell the author was into it, but I get the feeling he's often making you uncomfortable on purpose.
pikabot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:16 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
The things in Made in Abyss, more often than not, are played for horror. Sure, you can tell the author was into it, but I get the feeling he's often making you uncomfortable on purpose.

The author puts pin-up art of the protagonists under the dust jackets.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:10 pm Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
Quote:
I find it a bit baffling that after 5 years people still bring up the pedophile fetishes elements.

Those elements haven't gone away or gotten better during the past five years!

And why should it be an issue whether or nor they've gone away or gotten better?
There are those of us who've no issues with them, and 5 years should have been long enough for those who can't stomach it to look for something other to enjoy, instead of continuing to beat a dead horse...

It's the artist's personal style, and personally I enjoy it.
pikabot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but people are allowed to have and express an opinion on a series that is still ongoing and continues to receive new adaptations and critical acclaim, even if it's negative. It's still very much a current topic even if it has been around for five years.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:13 pm Reply with quote
For those who are confused why we're talking about this show right now: did you actually listen to the podcast or did you see the word 'problematic' and jump into the comment section?

We revisited the movie (which isn't five years old, it's two and has only been legally streaming since June 2021, which is why I think people in here definitely didn't bother to listen to what we talked about) as a way to catch up before the second season premieres in a few weeks. ANN has released "everything you need to know..." type articles prior to an anime's new season multiple times, including for Attack on Titan.

At no point did we shame people who enjoy this series. ALL of us said we consider it a masterpiece and one of the best shows currently available; just that we have a hard time recommending it to other people who aren't familiar with what it is, or we feel like we can't openly watch it in mixed company. I do not get why people are being defensive or acting like we can't talk about Made in Abyss right now when a new season is imminent, other than to be weirdly defensive about critiquing the show. There are going to be viewers who didn't watch it during its original run that hear about the new season and think "I've heard about this, what's it about?" That might not be you personally, but it's not a non-existent number of people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:59 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
I do not get why people are being defensive or acting like we can't talk about Made in Abyss right now when a new season is imminent, other than to be weirdly defensive about critiquing the show.

I think when something pops up in the news that has even an ounce of fetishistic content, folks who specifically enjoy that content(both in these forums and elsewhere) need to come to its defense, as if not doing so is like admitting that said content is maybe not the best/frowned upon by the majority.

Do I personally enjoy the various fetishes depicted in MiA? Or how some of the characters(who are children) are sometimes treated? Shit no! But I do enjoy the characters themselves, the world, lore, and overall story. So I try pretty hard to get past the squicky stuff. But I can't recommend the series to people I know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4