• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: JAST USA: Valve Has No Plans to Reverse Full Metal Daemon Muramasa Steam Ban

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:06 pm Reply with quote
It has to be frustrating for these companies to have to deal with Steam due to its sheer size meaning it the most visible way to get in front of customers. You're better off going directly to the source to buy it both in terms of how much revenue they get, and that you can get an uncensored version without a separate patch (which oftentimes has an added cost). But when the alternative is less sales overall, they get stuck with whatever Steam decides is/is not acceptable at the moment.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:53 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, the only reason why CHAOS;HEAD NOAH's ban was reverted was very likely because Spike Chunsoft could had likely threatened Valve with withdrawn all his games from the platform in retalation, and Valve, very likely fearing that alienating a bigger Japanese publisher from the platform would cause a bad precedent between the Japanese videogame industry, just like what happened with both Disney and Marvel Comics with Capcom on regards with Marvel vs Capcom Infinity, maybe Valve chose to revert the ban rather than having both Spike Chunsoft and the whole Japanese VG industry against them.

Compare with both JAST and Nitro+, which doesn't have the same power, industry-wise, to influence a large company to change their decisions.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It has to be frustrating for these companies to have to deal with Steam due to its sheer size meaning it the most visible way to get in front of customers. You're better off going directly to the source to buy it both in terms of how much revenue they get, and that you can get an uncensored version without a separate patch (which oftentimes has an added cost). But when the alternative is less sales overall, they get stuck with whatever Steam decides is/is not acceptable at the moment.

Jastusa and Denpasoft are the way to go Very Happy
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes I don't even get the logic behind this. What is so important that they can't go back and rereview the game with their new guidelines?
UBWT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Rolling Eyes I don't even get the logic behind this. What is so important that they can't go back and rereview the game with their new guidelines?

As a general policy it makes sense, they likely don't want to re-review hundreds of shovelware titles that make up the bulk of their rejections, but that really shouldn't preclude them from taking a second look at the bigger titles like this or Dungeon Travelers 2.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:59 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:

You see, the reason they decided to approve Chaos;Head Noah was because they were getting a lot of heat from news sites. They approved it in order to lose some heat, but they don't actually have any intention of changing their policies.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:25 am Reply with quote
If a game is available on Steam and also anywhere else, I make it a point to buy from the anywhere else. But it's unfortunate that there aren't any real challengers to Steam's market share. (Please get your act together, Epic.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1