• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: J.K. Rowling Compares Zombie Land Saga TERF Meme to Anti-Suffragist Art

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RemGalleuSimp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:59 am Reply with quote
J.K Rowling is just such a horrid piece of shit it's unbelievable. Really wish she would just crawl into a hole somewhere and shut the hell up.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:02 am Reply with quote
yes, she s right, its the same, it's a treat of violence, regardless of agreeing or not with her that's a fact.
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:03 am Reply with quote
Cope and seeth Johanne

Seriously though, I think she's going senile if she thinks the two images are comparable
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:06 am Reply with quote
I can't believe people would sell the image of compliance through violence by suggesting Lily would ever even hold a gun.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:12 am Reply with quote
God, not her again. She's so utterly vile and disingenous.

Oh no, Ms. Rowling happened upon an anti-TERF image on the internet, how terrible. Meanwhile she's friends with and openly supporting people who have been harrassing trans people online and IRL, and openly calling for genocide on them for years now. To say nothing about the other kind of people she's been openly "standing up for"... (spoiler: people in bed with anti-women's rights and anti-LGBTQ+ activists, and actual, honest to god fascists)

Last edited by SHD on Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
thieftheodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:35 am Reply with quote
Why not separate author from their product? Cobalt mining is very inhumane yet I don't see people throwing out their electronics
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:37 am Reply with quote
I'll always be sad how Lily became such a hateful symbol by some very not-so-nice people. The show does not deserve to be associated with such hatred and violence. I remember this getting so bad the UK Parliament had to get involved with the death threats people were receiving.
Super_M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:39 am Reply with quote
How successful is Hogwarts Legacy boycott? Yep, that much people care in real life about twitter drama.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:47 am Reply with quote
Nobody is asking the real question here: Did JK Rowling have the picture on her phone saved somewhere to be used or did she just search "trans anime memes"?
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:59 am Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
How successful is Hogwarts Legacy boycott? Yep, that much people care in real life about twitter drama.

If anything, it backfired hard. Limited Run Games firing someone over wanting to play a Harry Potter game simply convinced people to spite-buy the game.

But yeah, buy if you want, boycott if you want, just try not to ruin someone's life for the crime of having terrible taste in video games.
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
I'll always be sad how Lily became such a hateful symbol by some very not-so-nice people. The show does not deserve to be associated with such hatred and violence. I remember this getting so bad the UK Parliament had to get involved with the death threats people were receiving.

Nobody was actually receiving death threats and all that happened in the UK parliament was that one person printed the meme out to complain about being sent it on twitter.
allnightclerk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
I can't believe people would sell the image of compliance through violence by suggesting Lily would ever even hold a gun.

Westerners co-opting Japanese media for their political debates is nothing new. Most of them being completely media illiterate is also a very common occurrence. People use that one meme of Goku and Vegeta to dunk on lolicons all the time as if Akira Toriyama himself didn't love drawing fanservice of young Bulma and Chichi and is a self-avowed lolicon himself. The whole point is to latch a popular character onto their political views regardless if it makes sense or not to make it seem more valid. For additional irony, the writers behind Zombieland Saga would most likely be classified as TERFs themselves by these people given the way they treat the character at times.
PipimiOden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:13 pm Reply with quote
thieftheodore wrote:
Why not separate author from their product? Cobalt mining is very inhumane yet I don't see people throwing out their electronics

you can't really avoid tech in this century when it's basically one of the only options for some people to survive in this economy
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Abraham Omosun wrote:
Nobody is asking the real question here: Did JK Rowling have the picture on her phone saved somewhere to be used or did she just search "trans anime memes"?

My bet is that she's seen it a million times levied at her and so she's using it as a political martyr badge. The problem here is that it's... an internet meme. On Twitter. If you want hate memes to rally yourself as a martyr, just:

1) Be popular enough that people care what you say.
2) Make a Twitter.
3) Post anything.
4) Screenshot the worst thing to be thrown your way.
5) Post it for all to see.

I don't want to simply sum it up as "Welcome to the internet, suck it up" because very, very few people deserve to be given SA and death threats on any platform (and no, Rowling is not one of them), but this is more or less how people on the internet fight with each other now. It's not shocking. It's expected. Rowling's Tweet means nothing, but it'll very clearly raise shouts of support and anger from those on her side, further solidifying a permanent disconnect between them and their political opponents.

I've long let go of my attachments to her or the HP series because of her behavior and rhetoric and it seems I'm constantly having to push back against everything she says in public now, but this has nothing to do with my leanings or opinion of her. I simultaneously wish people would stop threatening violence against her and also wish people would stop portraying themselves as martyrs just for having controversial opinions. It's all just frustrating.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:21 pm Reply with quote
thieftheodore wrote:

That's easy to say when you're not one of the people being ostracized, harassed, thrown out, domestically abused, murdered, driven to suicide or self-harm, raped, and having rights removed just for existing.

As for the cobalt mining: I don't see you giving your electronics away, either. Nice attempt at derailing the actual issue, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6