• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mix: Meisei Story (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: Mix: Meisei Story (TV)
Season 02: Mix: Meisei Story (TV 2)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 20 volumes, by Mitsuru Adachi)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: OLM

Genres: comedy, drama, slice of life

Themes: baseball, coming-of-age, school, sports

Plot Summary: 26 years after Meisei High conquered the Kōshien (national championship), a promising pitcher-catcher battery was formed in its middle school by the Tachibana step-brothers, Touma and Souichirou.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 6, 2019 (Saturday)
Available on: FUNimation, Hulu

Season 02 - April 1, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 24 episodes
Season 02: Pending

Total: 24 episodes
----------------------------------

I've become a pretty big Mitsuru Adaichi fan. Searched out all of his works I could find and have rated the major stuff and some of the less known stuff so I think I'm a pretty good judge of how this could go.

And fair warning- I've been reading the manga and wrote almost every word of the character descriptions on its wikipedia page. I filled it with spoilers, as they are descriptions of the characters as they are up to where I've read. Careful looking that up..

SO, the first two episodes.

I was really intrigued with the first episode. Full of quirky intros and a VERY all-ages feel. That certainly feels right. This story is not heavy on big drama moments so it will live on its good feelings.

The second episode stabilized the style and became exactly what I thought it would be. Full of sweet moments and contemplative in its back story.

From what I've seen and know, I think this could be a very pleasant show- but not likely to shake you in ways Adaichi's previous anime and manga did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Kou, I mean Tou, has a step-brother, and Aoba, whoops Otomi, lives with them rather than next door. It's hard to watch this without making constant mental references to Cross Game, one of the few shows I've given a ten rating at MAL.

Oh, and I find Nomo a lot cuter than Punchi so far.

I would have dropped this had it stayed on Funimation. Now that Crunchyroll is carrying it as well, I'll probably stick around for a while. From what I read online the story gets much better as it progresses. Hope so.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
Two baseball anime in one season - my cup runneth over! Very different animals though.

Mix is at least animated, even though it has less action going on. It's extremely laid back, and yet the episodes fly by. I really like how down-to-earth all these characters seem, especially Otomi. It's so refreshing to see a teenage anime girl with her shit together, and not spazzing out all the time or being shy and/or embarrassed about everything that confronts her. Her bros are pretty cool too.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Two baseball anime in one season - my cup runneth over! Very different animals though.

Three, if you count Cinderella Nine... although I'm close to dropping that one already.

Quote:

Mix is at least animated, even though it has less action going on. It's extremely laid back, and yet the episodes fly by. I really like how down-to-earth all these characters seem, especially Otomi. It's so refreshing to see a teenage anime girl with her shit together, and not spazzing out all the time or being shy and/or embarrassed about everything that confronts her. Her bros are pretty cool too.

Yeah, good female characters. The other girl shown in the credits is just as good. Even this series version of Cross Game's Risa (actually named 'Arisa') grows pretty tolerable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Risa was the manager who did absolutely nothing, right?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Risa was the manager who did absolutely nothing, right?

Yes, all snooty and entitled but secretly a softie. Arisa is not a perfect analogy but she starts off playing a nuisance role.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:16 pm Reply with quote
You can really feel their frustration with the situation, but I love they way they're so calmly sardonic about it all.
flylikegoldblum

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I had to make an account so I could talk about this series! I've never watched a sports anime before, but baseball was a big part of my childhood so I gave this a shot and I'm really glad I did. While it was slow out of the gate, by the end of episode 4 I was all in. It really captures that peaceful and nonverbal experience of playing the game. Hearing the crack of a bat pierce that quiet really took me back. Toma could definitely benefit from a little more fleshing out, but I love the sense of history and legacy and internal politics of the team angel so far. Most of all I love the quiet little moments like Soichiro playing catch with his step-dad in the backyard. I don't know, this series just really resonates with me. Now that I'm caught up I might try out Touch or Cross Game. Hope you're all enjoying it too!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote

Well, many revelations and convenient happenings this episode to get our boys where they need to be. Some character redemption as well.

I kinda lost track of the timeline though. Did we skip their freshman year? Otomi says she'll be in high school in the fall, but she's a year younger (at least - I though she was 2 years behind them), which would mean they're already in high school. Or was she using "we" in the sense of referring to her brothers, and she as part of their "team"? Weird.

Nice flashback in the snow though. And do I detect future love in the air for Tou?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure she meant her brothers are getting to high-school, her classmate even corrects her with "you mean 3rd year of junior high, right?". Just one of Adachi's 'character speaks as the narrator' jokes, I feel.

I'm pretty certain the new girl is going to be Sou's love interest, and that either it's gonna get real creepy with Otomi and Tou getting together or he's just gonna be by himself, just having fun with his balls and his bat.

What, it's a baseball show, it's wholesome.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:34 am Reply with quote
Did the dub say "Freshman"? The sub just said "9th grade" - the last year of middle school in Japan. In Episode One the boys were starting 8th grade and Otomi 7th. Last episode they finished the baseball year of that year. This episode just sped through Fall-Winter-Spring/Summer(the baseball season)-Fall again-and ended in the winter of the boy's 9th and Otomi's 8th grades..
They rushed through the year in the manga too.

But my impression was that the Nikaidou revelation seemed like a bigger deal. I think it's just that it reads better when you can take your time with it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:02 pm Reply with quote
No, freshman was my word. I know about our freshmen essentially being Japanese junior high seniors, but Otomi's dialog confused me (as I'm easily confused), after Sou's conversation at the fence with the former middle school captain.
Otomi: When spring arrives, then it's high school.
Natsuno: You'll be grade nine.
Otomi: We will be, yes.

And bah, I meant Sou as the one getting a serious love interest. I know them apart to see them, but I keep getting their names mixed up. Took me awhile before I could even do that. Embarassed
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
Oh, Okay.
"When spring arrives, then it's high school." is her talking about her brother's baseball future,not her own, which is what confuses Natsuno. Natsuno has reason to be excited for himself for the 9th grade because the absence of Tou means he gets to pitch and hopes to be a focal point. But Otomi, as is kind of her habit, discounts every guy apart from her brothers.

I am looking forward to the next few episodes. Haruka is a great addition to the cast and should complicate matters a little... but the story is still taking time on that front. Everyone cares more for baseball than romance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, so the "we" in "We will be, yes" refers to her and Natsuno? I misinterpreted her focus on her brothers as her nearly seeing things through their pov, but now that you say it, it's pretty obvious. I guess I needed italics to make that clear (We will be, yes). Embarassed
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote

Whoever balanced (or rather, failed to balance) the dialog and music tracks should be fired. The music was like 3 times louder than the dialog, so you could barely hear anyone talking. Thank goodness for subtitles.

I don't know why Funimation has so many problems with this. It used to be limited to their trailers for DVDs, but in the last few of years it's begun to creep into their online and even some main disk fare.

Anyway, this episode wasn't up to the level we've gotten so far. The dog story was stupid, and the gymnastics was kinda pointless. A lot of the jokes are starting to get a little tired from overuse. Though I did get a laugh out of Otomi repeatedly hanging up on that guy, who needed to assume it was his phone acting up. And I much enjoyed the pitching animation. Wish we could have some of that in Ace of Diamond. And I'm still really liking how laid back these kids are, even when they're kinda flustered. I guess they get it from their step/mother.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5