×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Baki Hanma vs. Kengan Ashura Anime Special Review




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FilthyCasual



Joined: 01 Jun 2015
Posts: 2273
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:36 am Reply with quote
On the upside, the special had fun interactions and callouts to various materials. The buff guy competes with the buff guy. The two flip guys flip people. The old guys yuk it up. I especially appreciate the references to the Kengan/Baki crossover manga where Saw's dad fought Doppo, and the immediate cut to Akoya after Jack bit Raian had me cackling.

On the downside, holy mackerel were the fights boring. They were by and large samey slugfests without any sign of Kengan's signature choreography or even fluid animation. The first two picks may have been thematic, but damn were they dull. I can only hope that Baki usually has better animation and more interesting fights in its main series, because Kengan certainly does. Ohma vs. Baki was the best of the three fights in that they actually exchanged techniques, reacted to each other, and thought about how to gain an advantage instead of just whaling harder with reused animation, but it still doesn't redeem the other two brawls. Hell, they didn't even have Ohma hopping before his match! That's his thing!

Overall though, it was a fun watch. Baki seems like an interesting guy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
igiari21



Joined: 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(I) especially wish it had the kinds of introspection about masculinity that make me adore the Baki franchise


What are you even talking about? I like Baki. It's fantastic. How on earth is it introspective about masculinity??? It's just about fighting technique. Media have themes but I get the impression the reviewer is reading more into the series than is actually there.


Last edited by igiari21 on Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
D.E.D.E



Joined: 15 Mar 2014
Posts: 107
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:12 pm Reply with quote
igiari21 wrote:
Quote:
especially wish it had the kinds of introspection about masculinity that make me adore the Baki franchise


What are you even [i]talking about? I like Baki. It's fantastic. How on earth is it introspective about masculinity??? It's just about fighting technique. Media have themes but I get the impression the reviewer is reading more into the series than is actually there.


What I’ve been saying. Dude keeps talking about it Baki in his Kengan reviews and saying how Kengan has a conservative slant to Baki’s queer one…. Like, what show has he been watching?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Connor Dino



Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 322
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stelman257



Joined: 26 Jul 2013
Posts: 294
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:48 am Reply with quote
Oh yooo I totally missed that announcement. Though honestly where the latest anime season ended I would've totally fine stopping there, because man what a great ending.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stelman257



Joined: 26 Jul 2013
Posts: 294
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:52 am Reply with quote
igiari21 wrote:
What are you even talking about? I like Baki. It's fantastic. How on earth is it introspective about masculinity??? It's just about fighting technique. Media have themes but I get the impression the reviewer is reading more into the series than is actually there.

Lmao not at all, have you ever heard people say "Baki is what people think Jojo is?" They're both shows have that have a lot of different portrays and introspections about masculinity and how they portray their dudes. It's part of the reason they're so popular.

I don't disagree that this reviewer and Kengan Ashura absolutely don't vibe together, but he was tasked with reviewing it and that's what he's done. Hardly the only negative review of the show out there I can assure you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AsuraTheDestructor



Joined: 24 Dec 2013
Posts: 473
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
igiari21 wrote:
What are you even talking about? I like Baki. It's fantastic. How on earth is it introspective about masculinity??? It's just about fighting technique. Media have themes but I get the impression the reviewer is reading more into the series than is actually there.

Lmao not at all, have you ever heard people say "Baki is what people think Jojo is?" They're both shows have that have a lot of different portrays and introspections about masculinity and how they portray their dudes. It's part of the reason they're so popular.

I don't disagree that this reviewer and Kengan Ashura absolutely don't vibe together, but he was tasked with reviewing it and that's what he's done. Hardly the only negative review of the show out there I can assure you.


I wonder if people will feel the same way when "That" scene from the Sumo Arc manga gets adapted into Anime form.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Minos_Kurumada



Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 1121
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched it but I this should be a battle of narrators.

Each side should have is own narrator and the winner should be the one that can come up with the craziest BS to justify what his fighter is doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group