• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anime from Gainax

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eva-01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:00 pm Reply with quote
wow a new anime. thats neato! evangelion is my fav, i hope this one is good too! Exclamation
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:09 am Reply with quote
Eva-01 wrote:
wow a new anime. thats neato! evangelion is my fav, i hope this one is good too! Exclamation

Don't get your hopes up too much. The title makes it sounds pretty much like a third season of Mahoromatic Wink
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:10 am Reply with quote
And that is a bad thing *how*?!?

Mahoromatic easily could have gone another season or two, though of course now, trying to squeeze anything into the storyline will just look ugly.

Plus this means that Gunbuster 2 (assuming there was even going to be a Gunbuster 2) is going to get pushed even further back, which in my book is in no way a bad thing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:25 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Plus this means that Gunbuster 2 (assuming there was even going to be a Gunbuster 2) is going to get pushed even further back, which in my book is in no way a bad thing!

You don't want to see Gunbuster 2? Is this because you expect it not to live up to the original, or because you didn't like the original?
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:57 am Reply with quote
Come on, we need more Anno. I just got off of anti-psycotics from his last movie, I am behind now.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:57 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

You don't want to see Gunbuster 2? Is this because you expect it not to live up to the original, or because you didn't like the original?

Not even a question of "not living up" to the original, just think the original is as good as it is *because* it's self-contained, and wraps up neatly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bnewhall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else at least slightly disturbed by the fact that the main character in that image is apparently grabbing the girl's butt?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
Eva-01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:08 pm Reply with quote
i fined that very disturbing. Shocked
J.J. Sonick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:05 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
And that is a bad thing *how*?!?

Perhaps it would be a bad thing because Mahoromatic is dumb, pandering, over-stuffed with cheap fan service, and completely un-innovative -- the complete antithesis of the groundbreaking work Gainax had been turning out up to this point. If Gainax continues to follow the Mahoromatic route of sloppily throwing together a bunch of fanboy-pleasing elements in a moderately well-animated package to guarantee a hit, they'll certainly become a steadier business then they've ever been, but they'll lose what made them so unique -- how they consistently pushed anime in new directions while retaining well-known and loved traditional anime elements (Eva, Kare Kano and FLCL are the prime examples of this combination).

I can only hope that Tsurumaki (FLCL) or Anno will produce something under Gainax that will reverse the Mahoromatic trend, but with Anno apparently involved in a live-action version of Cutie Honey, I guess I have to put all my hope in Tsurumaki.

-- a Gainax fan hoping Gainax doesn't go down the path of least resistance.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first few episodes of marohmatic, and while I wasn't driven to see any more I think it had bright spots; more sensitivity to the nuances of human relations and emotions than is usual for this stuff sometimes. I can't make any bold claims for it, but if you must have cheezy sentimental sex comedies, it's got Love Hina, Tenchi et al beat from what I've seen.

Anyway, it's always fun to watch people hyperventilate over how much they hate fanservice. It's possible to neither love nor hate it, but to take it lightly and move on. Kinda like Bamboo Dong does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
J.J. Sonick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm not opposed to fan service on principle. It just depends on how it's used. Project A-ko, for instance, has countless panty shots, but the movie's such a fun, ridiculous ride that that's just one part of its enjoyable silliness.

In Mahoromatic, on the other hand, it seems they throw in a big dollop of mind-numbing fan service several times an episode out of sheer laziness, in place of developing the characters or plot in more detail. I would have found the relationship between Suguru and Maho touching, and Maho's secret moving, but the over-reliance on fan service nullified any emotional attachment I could give the characters.

The older-woman going after an elementary school kid is a good example. It exists in FLCL as well (with both Haruko and Mamimi going after Naota), but there it is actually treated with "sensitivity to the nuances of human relationships" as Mamimi goes after Naota precisely because it's safe (he'll never "swing the bat") and it's another form of escape for her, and Haruko is using Naota for his N.O. channel, but a relationship does build up between them. The teacher in Mahoromatic, on the other hand, is just a tedious and lazy fan-service joke.

If Mahoromatic came from another studio, I'd be able to just let it go as something silly but not my cup of tea. But I hold a higher standard for Gainax, and I fear that Mahoromatic's success will make them shy away from pushing anime to evolve as they've done before.

But this thread was supposed to be about their new series, which might be the best thing since sliced bread. If it's like Mahoromatic, though, it'd be hard to convince me of that. Wink
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I don't think you should hold Gainex in as high regards as you do. They are a production company after all and wouldn't do these series unless it was something they actually wanted to do. Don't forget, these are the same people that did Ebichu almost 5 years ago. I find them quite capable of doing both ecchi fanservice titles and more meaningful dramatic story driven titles and doing them both very well. It would be unfortunate to restrict them to just one or the other.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:41 pm Reply with quote
You dissing Ebichu? It is great work by Anno. Only he could get us to understand the mindset of furries. Laughing
J.J. Sonick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, the high regard I place them in is purely based on their output:

Wings of Honeamise
Otaku No Video
Gunbuster
Nadia (flawed but good)
Evangelion
His and Her Circumstances
FLCL

There's a dedication to quality and willingness to combine the traditional with the experimental in each of those titles that just isn't consistently found in any other studio's output (other studios might have a few titles that also have that combination, but never as a consistent thread in their output).

As for Ebichu, it's certainly not a classic, but it works for me because it's adult and crass and funny from the get-go, not an akward mix of undulating boob fanservice with a sentimental adolescent love story.

In terms of being "what they wanted to do", the Mahoromatic director and Gainax boss Hiroyuki Yamaga at Fanimecom held a 3-hour lecture on directing anime in which he talked about how Mahoromatic was specifically engineered to appeal to a certain anime-buying demographic in urban Japan, and had nothing do with his personal passions (of which he said he could never make into anime because no one would watch it.)

Of course, it is always dangerous to idealize a business, but for many years Gainax made things that were both hits with the fans and pushed anime in new directions. Hopefully they will continue to do so. Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:04 pm Reply with quote
"In terms of being "what they wanted to do", the Mahoromatic director and Gainax boss Hiroyuki Yamaga at Fanimecom held a 3-hour lecture on directing anime in which he talked about how Mahoromatic was specifically engineered to appeal to a certain anime-buying demographic in urban Japan, and had nothing do with his personal passions (of which he said he could never make into anime because no one would watch it.) "

I never get tired of being right about these things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2