• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reviews

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Not sure where elso to post this:
What ever happened to the Reviews? There hasn't been any new reviews in what seems like a month.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I believe SakechanBD has been busy with school. Now where was it... animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3730

Hmm, but that would be last weekend. Good question.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I would have had some reviews up, but I was busy doing the fall preview guide and i've had to fill in for Answerman a lot lately due to Rebecca's busy schedule. You can expect some new review (at least from me) starting next week.

-Z
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Various circumstances including school, illness, injury and other work have kept most the reviewers from getting a significant number of reviews done lately.

Hopefuly this will be changing for the better in the near future.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. It just seemed odd since there is usually at least one review a week minimum and nothing for a while.
Ryuko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Illness? Injury??

Anime cry Poor reviewers.. GET BETTER SOON, you guys!!!
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of reviews, that reminds me. Why don't you guys review whole series instead of individual DVDs? It's not that I'm ungrateful, but It makes deciding what to buy a hellva lot harder. As a matter of fact, it's reasons like that, that made me start a "What to buy" thread (sorry if I'm using punctuation incorrectly, I'm not exactaly sure how to use these 1." 2.'). It sort of defetes the purpose. Hmmm, anyway.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:28 pm Reply with quote
#1Evafan wrote:
Speaking of reviews, that reminds me. Why don't you guys review whole series instead of individual DVDs?

It's kind of hard to review a whole series before the whole series is out, that's the problem.

One option would be to base the review on the screener we receive, such that we can judge the quality of the English voice acting & directing, and base the rest of the review on fansubs.

We'd base it on the Japanese original, und we have done some previews that way, but none of the staff is fluent enough in Japanese to adequately review a show based on the Japanese original. To do that I'd have to drop all our current reviewers and get new ones. Not happening.

The problem with basing reviews on fansubs is that, as we've seen with Hellsing, a bad Fansub can make a great show seem like it sucks.

The problem with basing a review of the English dub on the first volume, is that the dub often improves as the episodes progress.

So see, we're kinda stuck, unless you want to wait for the final volume to come out before we review it...

But we are thinking of ways to chaneg our review format to make it better. Please feel free to make suggestions, nothing is going to change right away, but if we can work out a significantly improved way to do it, we'll make the changes.

-t
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:41 pm Reply with quote
The guy who can ban me if he wanted to, or as I like to call him, Tempest, wrote:
It's kind of hard to review a whole series before the whole series is out, that's the problem.

But can't you just review 'em one at a time as they come out? Like Excel Saga (the only one I can think of off the top of my head), you have DVD #2 (or 3..can't remember) and #5 reviewed, and all of it has been out. Besides, it might be to the poeple reading these reviews advantege to see a review for all volumes. In the Excel Saga volume 5 review, the reviewer (I think it was Zac) said, the show was showing no sighs of plot devolepment, and in a review I read on the net for volume 6, they said all the show's plot devolepment was in the last DVD. The statement in # 5's review almost turned me off from the show.

And if you do decide to review (*is getting tried of typing that word*) all the DVDs in a series, maybe you could give the whole show an overall score...maybe.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:06 pm Reply with quote
#1Evafan wrote:

But can't you just review 'em one at a time as they come out? Like Excel Saga (the only one I can think of off the top of my head), you have DVD #2 (or 3..can't remember) and #5 reviewed, and all of it has been out.

Ahh, that's an issue of quantity. We certainly want to review every DVD that comes out. And we've tried, but in the past we've failed.

A few new changes to the site might make it possible though, but that remains to be seen.
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:18 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
We certainly want to review every DVD that comes out. And we've tried, but in the past we've failed.

You guys don't have to review every DVD under the sun, you can pick n choose what you wanna review, even if it's just the stuff in your personal collection. I don't expect you to have the resources to review everything. I'm talking about a whole series. Don't just review one or two DVDs in a series, it won't help me at all, because it dosen't give me enough information on that particular series.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:04 pm Reply with quote
"In the Excel Saga volume 5 review, the reviewer (I think it was Zac) said, the show was showing no sighs of plot devolepment, and in a review I read on the net for volume 6, they said all the show's plot devolepment was in the last DVD. The statement in # 5's review almost turned me off from the show."

There's a problem; you don't seem to know what you actually want us to do.

My review of Excel Saga volume 5 is correct. There is no plot development. It's all in the last volume of the series. What good would it do me to say, in a review of volume 5, "Oh, well, all the plot development happens in volume 6, so that excuses the fact that this volume has none."? That doesn't make it a bad review or incomplete; you're just upset that a review of volume 6 wasn't ready yet. This doesn't mean there's some huge problem with our review process (aside from being incredibly slow).

We try and keep up to date on current volumes of new releases; normally we don't really keep very current, but we do strive to be so. I don't see anything wrong with the way we do reviews now. We do volumes of series as we get to them. Doing entire shows all at once is really hard, plus, you don't have a review up until the final volume of something is out, long after it's considered new or hot. That really doesn't help us very much.

In any case, I suppose we'll look in to our review process, but we need to do each individual volume, or institute something where we only do entire series... frankly, that's not really the best idea. Some series have slow middles, uninvolving endings, bad starts, etc and so on, which is why it's good to have reviews of all the volumes.

I think a problem with this complaint is that reviews - by their very nature - are someone's opinion. You cannot put on us the weight of saying exactly what you need to hear in order to convince you to buy or not buy a show. We say what we think about it, and provide examples to back up our points, and that's it. People always endlessly complain about reviews. Normally they go on about how the review was bad or misleading, usually when they didn't agree with the reviewer's opinion. If you write a negative review of an anime series, there will always be a very loud, annoying vocal minority that will invariably call your credibility, writing skills and intelligence immediately in to question after reading a revew they disagreed with. It's highly trying, and it makes writing reviews almost not worth it, but we keep going anyway. I've gotten so much hate mail over various reviews - even positive ones that have slightly negative statements (listing both the plusses and the minuses of something is a big no-no to a lot of fans who only want to hear positive things about their favorite shows). There really is no happy medium, there's no way to please everyone. We write our opinion of a DVD and try and place it in context with the rest of the series. It should go without saying that this is one volume of many and that the show could either get worse or better; if you'd rather we start tacking a disclaimer on the end of every review that isn't the final volume, I suppose that's an idea, but it assumes a severe lack of common sense on the part of the reader (although I put huge disclaimers on my Fall preview guide, look where that got me: endless complaining from people who totally disregarded the diclaimer and wanted to just complain anyway). Reviews are not the be-all, end-all of product opinion. It's always best to read a smattering of reviews from your favorite critics (prefferably people who share your tastes or who you trust know what they're talking about) and then make up your mind on your own based on the show's premise and what you've heard.

But don't flay the person who wrote the review. Unless they went out of their way to specifically use the review to attack something else, it's just an opinion. No more, no less.
-Z
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
There's a problem; you don't seem to know what you actually want us to do.

I'm just asking you to review all volumes in a series(I know it's a little much). Just keep reviewing 'em the way you've been doing, 'cept, all the volumes in a series.

Quote:
My review of Excel Saga volume 5 is correct. There is no plot development. It's all in the last volume of the series. What good would it do me to say, in a review of volume 5, "Oh, well, all the plot development happens in volume 6, so that excuses the fact that this volume has none."?

I never said your review was bad or incorrect, but it almost turned me off from the series because you said neither that volume, or the rest of the series (before vol. 6) had any plot devolepment. If you don't like volume #5 (or even the the show), then who cares, but because I assumed that volume #6 wouldn't have any plot devolement, I almost didn't give the show a chance (who wants a show with 26 episodes an zero plot devolement). Granted, my assumption was all my fault, but the review is what confused me in the first place. A simple review of the last volume would've easily remedy this, even if you didn't like that volume either.

Quote:
Doing entire shows all at once is really hard

I never said or ask you to do 'em all at once.

Quote:
Some series have slow middles, uninvolving endings, bad starts, etc and so on, which is why it's good to have reviews of all the volumes.

That's what I'm asking you to do, reviews of all volumes

Quote:
I think a problem with this complaint is that reviews - by their very nature - are someone's opinion.

Quote:
If you write a negative review of an anime series, there will always be a very loud, annoying vocal minority that will invariably call your credibility, writing skills and intelligence immediately in to question after reading a revew they disagreed with.

I'm not complainig about what you said about the DVDs, because I couldn't care less. Those are your opinions.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:23 pm Reply with quote
No, no, Evafan, I'm not attacking you in my post there, I'm just saying that these are some of the things reviewers have to deal with. It was more of a rant.

-Z
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, next time someone e-mails you bitching, send 'em a two worded response that says Fu@k off. The single greatest expresion ever made. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2