• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Mushi Mushi?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With the American football season nearly upon us, one major question arises: just how geeky is it to enter a NFL fantasy football league and name your team the Devil Bats?

Answer: Very. Surprised

It's all good, though. You still write my favorite segment on this site.

Also, you say Serenity is the worst American Manga title you've ever read, but have you seen the new Free Runner Amerimanga?

It combines the terriblely annoying and pretentious subculture of Parkour with bland character designs literally ripped out of Air Gear, and a painfully trite youth culture story. It's not the kind of awfulness found in generic Christian fiction, but it's an entirely different kind of bad.

Last edited by Invader_Spooch on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me. I should plan on getting my copy of the Last Uniform. Gotta support the Strawberry Line! Cool
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I was really disappointed by The Last Uniform. I knew the art wasn't very good, but I found almost all of the characters dull and uninteresting and most of the dialogue was equally bland and by the numbers. I might get the remaining two volumes but only if there is a RightStuf sale/deal for them.

I'm interested in Mushishi as it sounds like something I would like, but I'm just collecting too much at the moment. I need to finish a few other series before I pick it up.

Sugar Sugar Rune also sounds interesting. Something else to add to my list....

Ahhh, yes, Serenity. I remember hearing about that a couple years ago. I glanced at a few pages. Hooo, boy, talk about unintentionally hilarious.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't been able to find Mushi-Shi volume two in stores! Anime hyper I'll keep looking, though. While I'm at it maybe I can finally pick up volume one of Sugar Sugar Rune. I've been wanting to read that one for a very, very long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
I love Moyoco Anno's Happy Mania and Flowers & Bees. When I first heard that she had made a series for younger girls I was very curious about what it would be like. I'm glad that Sugar Sugar Rune is getting such a positive reception. I just got the latest volume, along with Mushishi 2, in the mail today. It looks like I'm in for some happy times.

I really like your Best and Worst ever section! I get a kick out of the Worst and have discovered some new titles in the Best.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am Reply with quote
omg, i read Serenity online like a year ago. I remember cringing and not even finishing what they had up. It as horrible. I feel sorry for the manga fan who asks for manga for their birthday/christmas/ insert situation for gifts here
and they recieve this garbage.

it reminds me of those Bible Games AVGN reviewedt

As for the other manga- i'm going to try sugar sugar rune.

nice column!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
I've bought Mushishi v. 1, and still haven't read it...the little bit of the anime I've seen was so much prettier, I can't get it out of my head when I'm reading the first manga chapter Confused

And I've just finished Sugar Sugar Rune v. 5, and only in volume 5 has it completely won me over. It IS aimed at young girls, so it was a predictable for the older readers in the first 2 or so volumes, but once Vanilla turns evil - something I didn't see coming - it gets much more interesting. Just in case anyone checks it out and thinks the first volumes are bad...it does get better IMO. And yeah, the world Anno has created is pretty amazing!!

And Fumi Yoshinaga is my favorite mangaka EVER, so no amount of bad press can stop me from buying one of her works!! (do prefer her stories that take place in modern times though...just personal preference Smile) Lovers in the Night was pretty cute, and it is totally stupid that it was published before Truly, Kindly.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With the American football season nearly upon us, one major question arises: just how geeky is it to enter a NFL fantasy football league and name your team the Devil Bats?

Very; but awesome at the same time. As much as I love football, I never got into the whole Fantasy thing. But If I did I'd name my team that too.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote
Sugar-Sugar Rune definitely sounds like it's something to check out, I've heard good things about it here and elsewhere on the forum.

Because that's just what I need, another series to check out Smile
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With the American football season nearly upon us, one major question arises: just how geeky is it to enter a NFL fantasy football league

I think liking football is normal, joining a fantasy team is the geeky part.
Quote:
and name your team the Devil Bats?
therefore what you name your team is irrelevant. Enjoy your geekiness!

I may have to check out Sugar Sugar Rune, thanks.
coconutpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
Ouch! Granted, Serenity's chracters are cardboard for the first volume, but things honestly get better in volume 2! Bashing the whole series is harsh.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
No way in hell naming your fantasy football team 'the Devilbats' is geeky, only pure awesomeness. Now, playing fantasy football is extremely geeky, the Devilbats name will inject some coolness into the fold.

The Last Uniform was cute although I bit boring in some parts, but it is a light hearted title.

I must buy Mushishi when I get the chance. I love the covers for it!

I like Sugar Sugar Rune but I don't think it's really all that. Yeah, it's a very enjoyable read, likeable characters and has awesome art but it doesn't impress me enough to give it more than a B really.

And I love Fumi Yoshinaga. I think it's pretty impressive to jam an enjoyable story into a oneshot. Although it was stupid of Blu to release this AFTER the first book when the first book is clearly the SECOND one. I enjoyed the first story with the guy who thought he killed his ex and started to live with another guy he met in the park.

coconutpenguin wrote:
Ouch! Granted, Serenity's chracters are cardboard for the first volume, but things honestly get better in volume 2! Bashing the whole series is harsh.

I agree, which is why Im kinda against the wall with the Worst/Best Manga section because it's not advisable to judge a series with the first volume. Serenity has a horrendous first volume that would shame any self-repecting Christian. The later volumes do improve in that it fleshes out the characters of the prayer group as we see them as flawed (although the part with the Jesus rave made me cringe). The only thing that didn't change is the god-awful art. I don't like Christian fiction because it seems too preachy for me and too readily quoting the Bible instead of really explaining the moral behind the verse (although I don't think they shouldn't use verses at all, but it best to keep it at the back of the book as footnotes), I rather read the Bible which is usually more entertaining anyway. The one title that I really like that deals with faith and sexuality is American Virgin from Vertigo. The main character is a youth Evangelical minister with a campaign that promotes absentience until marriage having a crisis of faith of sorts when his fiancee is killed during her time at the Peace Corps.

But Serenity is worth a glace through but still extremely average with one glowing spot that it shows the prayer group in a different, unflattering light at times.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Hah! I was looking forward to this column (even more than usual!) ever since I got the latest volume of Sugar Sugar Rune last week, because I knew you'd review it. I really love the series, and I know it was one of your earlier reviews of the manga that got me interested. I'd seen it before and thought "cute, but...too cute?" Realizing there was more to it than just the cute (and even that is done in such a fun, stylish way) made it a lot more appealing.

So I just wanted to say thank you for always offering your thoughts on a great variety of different manga, and let you know your reviews have helped yet another reader :D
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
omg, i read Serenity online like a year ago. I remember cringing and not even finishing what they had up. It as horrible. I feel sorry for the manga fan who asks for manga for their birthday/christmas/ insert situation for gifts here
and they recieve this garbage.

Somehow I think the kind of people most likely to read this aren't allowed to celebrate birthdays or Christmas. because trees are, y'know, pagan. Laughing

ArielTsuki wrote:
I don't like Christian fiction because it seems too preachy for me and too readily quoting the Bible instead of really explaining the moral behind the verse (although I don't think they shouldn't use verses at all, but it best to keep it at the back of the book as footnotes), I rather read the Bible which is usually more entertaining anyway. The one title that I really like that deals with faith and sexuality is American Virgin from Vertigo. The main character is a youth Evangelical minister with a campaign that promotes absentience until marriage having a crisis of faith of sorts when his fiancee is killed during her time at the Peace Corps.

I totally know how you feel. I think a lot of the "pop-culture-ization" of Christianity in America is, frankly, just plain weird. I grew up in a typical Catholic tradition, so my personal view involves a lot of grandness and history, and it seems cheap to turn that into an apocalyptic war-action book series, or an album of hard rock songs, or ... a manga. Anime hyper I actually follow the daily Bible readings myself -- when it comes to religion, why bother with comics and novels when you can go straight to the source?

I did like Craig Thompson's struggle with his faith in the graphic novel "Blankets," though, even if he did cop out at the end.

I'm a bit relieved to hear from others that Serenity gets better in the later volumes, but speaking from a personal viewpoint (which I didn't want to include in the review), I think I'm simply the wrong denomination for it.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Serenity was at least entertaining, of a sorts. I've read stuff that was far, far more boring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3