• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SPJA, Manga Companies Give to California Fire Evacuees

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that is really nice! Unfortunately, I think that money and supplies would be a more worthwhile donation.
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
There are many reasons donating manga makes sense for them. They produce it, so it's much cheaper for them to donate it than money, especially since they have already payed the licensing fees anyway.
At this point it serves the same purpose as the rest of the monetary and such aid: it isn't to save lives, but to make the lives of those harmed more livable.
Also, besides just being a good thing to do, it works a bit as free advertising; those who read manga donated might get hooked on it and become customers.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Oh, that is really nice! Unfortunately, I think that money and supplies would be a more worthwhile donation.

From the news reports I've seen, there's no shortage of any of those right now, but there's a lot of really horribly bored, frustrated and frightened kids in Qualcomm Stadium and other shelters in the area.

A nice and appropriate gesture, and one that could help the companies back in the long-term.
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
Wow that's awesome...and I'm guessing it will bring a lot of newcomers to the manga world.
Superflyz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

Most of the residents that have been evacuated are from "Upscale" neighborhoods, so I don't think money would be a problem for them (not a fact, but a generalization). Plus, since the 1993 Malibu wildfires, lots of people in So. Cal (including myself. I live in Long Beach) have invested in fire insurance.

Like a previous poster said, lots of people are just bored at shelters and are simply waiting for the fire fighters to Green light the trek back home.

...God it's hard to breathe here...
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
Right...I do hope they watch what they give. Don't give those girls princess ai. please. they've been through enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1