• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Official Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi Website here.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:11 pm Reply with quote
ANN's shortest ever news article.

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
frood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:09 pm Reply with quote
yay! (shortest post ever!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:32 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
ANN's shortest ever news article.

At least that's what the dancing mushrooms told you after they ate your article. Smile
king_micah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:50 am Reply with quote
That is one nice site.
I really want to hear what Abeno sounds like.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:16 am Reply with quote
Sexy-sexy fanservice. Looks very....strange and entertaining. Can't wait! Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:23 am Reply with quote
as i've said a million times before, this could be the show to topple Excel Saga as funniest anime. at it's core it's even nice touching story when you find out spoiler[Sasshi was creating all these worlds, so he didn't have to go home and face change]
eva05

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:47 am Reply with quote
Has anyone seen a sample of this? I have all the Japanese DVDs and wouldn't mind getting subbed versions but ADV doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to mastering their DVDs. Sad

j
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I think that, unfortunately (and as with a few of Gainax shows), people will judge it based solely off the first couple of episodes, and think it's just "more of the same". (Ironically enough, the way I see it, it *is* more of the same... - the same theme that Gainax has been exploring in all of their titles - what is "reality" and how is it created...and why does it matter)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Redcoffin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:34 pm Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
Has anyone seen a sample of this? j

I guess a lot of people have, since the first episode came out as a promo in the December Newtype USA. The only issue that's going to raise comment is the way ADV represented the characters' working-class Tokyo speech by having them speak "Southern-style" USA English. Since ADV is located in Houston, Texas and there are a lot of people down here who speak that way, they got the accent right. But it's not something we're used to hearing in anime... Overall it looks like a wonderful, fun show.
lobotomoy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:58 am Reply with quote
Redcoffin wrote:
... The only issue that's going to raise comment is the way ADV represented the characters' working-class Tokyo speech by having them speak "Southern-style" USA English. Since ADV is located in Houston, Texas and there are a lot of people down here who speak that way, they got the accent right. But it's not something we're used to hearing in anime... Overall it looks like a wonderful, fun show.

IIRC, this show actually takes place in Osaka. In most dubs, if there is a character who speaks in an Osaka dialect in the Japanese version, that character would speak in a Southern accent in the dub. I haven't heard the dub for Abenobashi yet, but it sounds reasonable to have the characters speak in a Southern accent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redcoffin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:17 am Reply with quote
lobotomoy wrote:
IIRC, this show actually takes place in Osaka.

Oops, my bad. I still think it's a difficult judgment call on the part of the translators. The other alternative would have been to forget about speech style at all, but that poses its own problems. From what I have heard, the Osaka dialect tends to sound rather gutteral and abrupt, not much like the rather laid back speech of Southerners. There is probably a better analogue among the British dialects, but that would be harder for ADV to reproduce, and in any case all British dialects tend to sound "intellectual" to Americans, so you can't win. I'm certainly glad they didn't have the characters speaking like the Bronx or Boston or New Jersey...
gnollman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I'd prefer they not bother to try to replicate the Kansai (Osaka) dialect with an English equivalent. I'll be honest, I don't tend to watch dubs, but one of the things that has always driven me away from them is the treatment of the Kansai dialect. The end product in the dub is hideous....

As a speaker of Japanese who can actually fake the Kansai dialect with some small skill, I'd rather just listen to the Japanese....
ultrabot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:23 am Reply with quote
Redcoffin wrote:
I'm certainly glad they didn't have the characters speaking like the Bronx or Boston or New Jersey...

that would probably be funnier, having the whole script in broken new-yorker english or ebonics, oh the hilarity that would ensue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1