• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Anime Network in Canada

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamakun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:32 am Reply with quote
GAH! WHAT?

How did this slip under my radar?!

Must... go... call now!

O.o

GAH!
phoelixian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote
If you get a busy signal. . . it's just me. The article on their site makes for an interesting read.
Tamakun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:47 am Reply with quote
I just went and took a look at the VOD on Rogers Digital Cable.

There's 6 selections. Nadesico movie, Samurai X movie, Spriggan, Sin, Voices of a Distant Star, and all of Beyblade.

It doesn't say if it's dubbed or subbed (my guess is that it's dubbed).

Well, it's a start...
MelancholyDevil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:37 pm Reply with quote
*sniff sniff* Even Canada got it before Louisiana did. I thought Texas was supposed to be some sort of mecca for anime...*sniff*
phoelixian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, it is a start. Hopefully, this will shake up "Teletoon" (Canadian mirror station for "Cartoon Network") enough to stir them into broadcasting more than just Manga Entertainment's anime - which I haven't seen on in a couple years now anyway. I don't even understand why they didn't finish the run of either Escaflowne or Gundam Wing (maybe these were on YTV; this is second hand info to me.)
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Canada?

CANADA?!

Ah, screw it. I'll just buy the DVDs. Mad
Luff-Chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
What? I agree with Swordfish_II, Poop, I want the Anime Network! Anime cry Not fair. Well, I will go buy MORE DVDs now.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:23 am Reply with quote
It isn't all across the US yet? Well... it will be by the end of the year. And think of it this way: Canada is a far smaller market than any American state you can name.

YTV aired Gundam Wing and Escaflowne, not Teletoon. But runs were finished, but both were cut. Gundam Wing was commercially slaughtered with an ungodly timeslot of 11:30pm.

Teletoon lost the rights to the Manga Entertainment stuff about five years ago. Since then, all they've aired is Cardcaptors and Megaman NT, both of which hold dubs so atrocious that I don't even count them.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
YTV aired Gundam Wing and Escaflowne, not Teletoon. But runs were finished, but both were cut. Gundam Wing was commercially slaughtered with an ungodly timeslot of 11:30pm.

Teletoon lost the rights to the Manga Entertainment stuff about five years ago. Since then, all they've aired is Cardcaptors and Megaman NT, both of which hold dubs so atrocious that I don't even count them.

Thanks for the info.

Tamakun, when you checked out the VOD with Roger's, did it look like the typical movie on demand channels like you have with Bell Satellite (the same movie ongoing over and over) or did it look like all 6 of those were in repetition the same day possibly giving room to broadcast more shows/films on that channel daily?
Tamakun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:16 pm Reply with quote
phoelixian wrote:
Tamakun, when you checked out the VOD with Roger's, did it look like the typical movie on demand channels like you have with Bell Satellite (the same movie ongoing over and over) or did it look like all 6 of those were in repetition the same day possibly giving room to broadcast more shows/films on that channel daily?

It's a Video-On-Demand (VOD) channel, or as Rogers puts it, "Rogers-On-Demand". When you go to a VOD channel on the Rogers Digital Box, it displays a browser of sorts with a number of selections. From there, you select "Anime" (not even listed as Anime Network), and from there you can choose what anime you wish to watch.

Being VOD, there is a charge to watch the anime. If I remember correctly, you can rent Voices of a Distant Star for $2.99, and you are given a 24-hour viewing window to watch it (you can watch it infinite times in a 24-hour period). You're also given basic VCR controls, too, so on top of being able to start it at any time, you can also pause it, rewind it, and fast-forward it. It's the same with the other animes, and all the other selections in the VOD channel (which includes recent movies, adult videos, kid's shows, informational shows, Free Stuff from atomfilms.com, etc).

The VOD system is wonderful - It's not like Pay-Per-View where you have to call and order it, then tune in at 9:05 to see it start, you can just click "Buy", and it starts. There's a slight delay as it buffers upon startup, but otherwise it's perfect.

The cost shows up on the Digital Cable Bill at the end of the month.

I figure they're testing the waters with this VOD - Rogers doesn't hype it as much as they could, which is a pity. I really like the VOD ability. I guess maybe once more people get Digital Boxes, then they'll advertise more of the Digital Features. If they can get more anime, I would be very satisfied.

I believe this is how the Anime Network started in the States, as well - being a VOD station. Look where it is now; so I'm hopeful that it will advance in the future.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Tamakun.

I'm hoping this grows into a mainstream station. The reason I compared it to Bell is because it is the tv access I have - not digital cable. Maybe something similar will show up there soon.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion... I don't think the Anime Network is ever going to grow into a mainstream station. Chances are it won't last for much more than another two years.
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
In my opinion... I don't think the Anime Network is ever going to grow into a mainstream station. Chances are it won't last for much more than another two years.

sadly that's probably true Crying or Very sad if it does, it'll probably be one of those channels you have to pay an extra $15 a month for (HBO, P-Boy etc)
phoelixian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote
RantingOtaku wrote:
sadly that's probably true Crying or Very sad if it does, it'll probably be one of those channels you have to pay an extra $15 a month for (HBO, P-Boy etc)

Even still, wouldn't you rather pay to have the station available than not have a station at all? I think it would be worth the $15/month.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:59 am Reply with quote
I still would've rather seen ADV cosolidating all of their shows into a rotating block like they do in the UK, and then farm it out to stations like Space. I think that's a much better way for them to promote their products.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2