• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Toriko DVD Set 1 & 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I just can't get used to Ian Sinclair as Toriko. He's a cool enough voice actor in my estimation but Borderlands solidified him as "a man of 2 voices" in my head, and neither of those fit the character for me.

Not to mention that just looking at the character I "hear" David Matranga. You know what I'm talking about Wink

That said, I think that the dub is pretty good but I still can't get behind the show. While I'm a fan of the "deep" shows that Torkio most definitely is not (as the review states), I've enjoyed my share of "fluff" shows over the years. After Shelf Life lauded Torkio I felt compelled to re-examine it and even after doing so I just can't see the appeal. Oh well.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Toriko is a pretty standard Jump battle shonen. It'll likely be the next to get up to 250-300+ episodes now that Jump is doing everything in their power to promote it (even putting Toriko in specials and video games alongside Luffy and Goku).

If you like battle shonens, you should like it. If you don't, you probably won't. Thats about what it comes down to.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Toriko is a pretty standard Jump battle shonen. It'll likely be the next to get up to 250-300+ episodes now that Jump is doing everything in their power to promote it (even putting Toriko in specials and video games alongside Luffy and Goku).

If you like battle shonens, you should like it. If you don't, you probably won't. Thats about what it comes down to.
I can't say that I really care for battle shounen any longer. I still watch some of it, but not as intently as I once did. While battle shounen is all pretty much "cut from the same cloth" I still encounter some that I don't like, despite liking others. I've enjoyed Bleach & Naruto but couldn't stand One Piece & Fairy Tale. For some reason, the same "meh-ness" (something between "apathy" and "repulsion") that I feel for those 2 shows is what I feel for Toriko.

My working theory is that I, viewing this immediately after Golgo 13, expected it to have a more serious side to it. Now I know that there's nothing serious about Toriko.

Though if Matranga were voicing the main character that'd give the show enough "extrinsic quality" (nostalgia, hilarity) that I'd have bought all 3 parts of this from Funi.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Quick question: do the episodes on these DVDs have the next episode previews? Because the simulcast episodes don't.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Quick question: do the episodes on these DVDs have the next episode previews? Because the simulcast episodes don't.

Yes they do, someone I know streamed a few episodes of the dub where I watched it and the previews are kept intact.

Why they're not on the streams has more to do with Toei than anyone else since the Digimon Xros Wars & Saint Seiya Omega streams on Crunchyroll are also missing the previews.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thank you. I might get this show eventually then, though it's pretty low on my anime priority list.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Ah, thank you. I might get this show eventually then, though it's pretty low on my anime priority list.

Considering the show is so cheap (only $24 per volume), what you might consider doing is using it as a "placeholder" title in case you're ordering something from RightStuf but don't have enough for free shipping. Works out a lot better than blind boxes if you ask me. Cool

As far as the show itself goes, I love it. I pre-ordered all four volumes as soon as they were available and have been happy as a clam ever since. Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:

Same here, I'll most likely wait until they release bigger sets though. I did like what I saw of the dub but I don't have much room anymore for their current sets especially for a show this long.
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Standard?

The whole thing seems to be made on drugs.
In fact, Toriko makes Bobobo bo bo bobo seem normal by comparison.

Seriously, from what I've seen in Toriko (both manga and anime), trying to understand what's going on in the series is an excercise in futility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1