• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto Shippuden The Movie: Bonds DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
I didn't enjoy the first 4 regular Naruto movie (they weren't done that well) so when I watched the first Shippuden movie I was very surprised. The movie was very good. Good character interaction, story, suspense, everything was done well so when I looked up info for the 2nd Shippuden, I was glad it was most of the same people that created the first movie.

Unfortunately the standard that was set for the first Shippuden wasn't met for the 2nd Shippuden. The movie was ok but the quality wasn't there like the first Shippuden movie.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised the dub got a better score than the original one considering I only heard trolling comments about Naruto's English voice.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
This is actually my favorite Naruto film so far, but I do agree with most of the flaws that are present in the review.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I'm surprised the dub got a better score than the original one considering I only heard trolling comments about Naruto's English voice.

Really? I've usually heard nothing but praise for it. Are these trolling comments coming from audio purists?
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
This movie is terrible and the next 2 are even worse. Which is sad because the first 2 Naruto and the first Shippuden film's are at least entertaining.
blackseer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
This movie is terrible and the next 2 are even worse. Which is sad because the first 2 Naruto and the first Shippuden film's are at least entertaining.

I actually liked the next Naruto movie. I felt like they decided to forget about story and just do a lot of battle scenes, which was better than horrible stories.

And IMHO, this is the worst of them all, even worse than the third Naruto movie.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
sainta wrote:

Really? I've usually heard nothing but praise for it. Are these trolling comments coming from audio purists?

You must not poke around on Viz's Naruto forum! Wink Some people from the online Naruto fanbase criticize poor Maile just because she's a girl (without realizing that the Japanese voice is also a girl). I've never seen "real" criticism for her though... only trolling criticism about her image, age, gender, etc. I've seen some trolling fans who have said that Naruto's English dub is actually WORSE than the 4Kids One Piece dub! Maile has won an Emmy for another series. I believe that any actor who has won that kind of award is at least "good"!

To Maile: If you're reading this, save yourself some grief... don't read the official Naruto forums, or any nasty or hateful comments that come your way from the "trolling fans".

Some Dragon Ball Z movies lack basic story structure, but were still enjoyable. Those movies and some of the Naruto movies are still enjoyable, as long as you don't think of them as high art!
braves

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Everything I've heard about Shippuden movie 3 is that it's far and away the best one. What I know for sure is that I see Akitoshi Yokoyama storyboarded a section of movie 3, so I know that it'll be better than this one (which I mildly enjoyed).

Animation-wise this movie had some nice moments (Hidetsugu Ito's parts for example), but I realized I'm not a fan of Mamoru Sasaki's (chief animation director) style. Can't really peg down exactly why, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

You must not poke around on Viz's Naruto forum! Wink Some people from the online Naruto fanbase criticize poor Maile just because she's a girl (without realizing that the Japanese voice is also a girl). I've never seen "real" criticism for her though... only trolling criticism about her image, age, gender, etc. I've seen some trolling fans who have said that Naruto's English dub is actually WORSE than the 4Kids One Piece dub! Maile has won an Emmy for another series. I believe that any actor who has won that kind of award is at least "good"!

Worst than the OP 4Kids dub!? No way! I actually really enjoy Maile in Shippuden. WAY more than when Naruto was younger (I didn't mind his voice in that one either though). I think she has really gotten into Naruto's role over the years. I can't imagine his voice any other way now, but that's usually how it is for me.

And I hate the fact that people STILL diss women voicing male roles. What's wrong w/ people? If they're good then what's the problem!?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Some Dragon Ball Z movies lack basic story structure, but were still enjoyable. Those movies and some of the Naruto movies are still enjoyable, as long as you don't think of them as high art!

Not to start a flame war, but I think that generally, DBZ films (and OVAs) are much, much better than Naruto films (and OVAs).
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
sainta wrote:

have a nasty feeling that's the case. Typical for those dub haters. Especially some of the moronic otakus i've seen at conventions out there thinking that EVERY SINGLE ENGLISH DUB IS BEING DONE BY THE HORROR THAT IS 4KIDS & BEING REDUCED TO A KIDS SHOW!!!!!!!

As for this movie, it's not bad. at least it's better than Guardian of the Cressent Moon Kingdom movie. that one leaves something to be desired.

and i definitely liked that tornado rasengan. it definitely pack a wallop, and the notice of corrupting chakra into a dark form and the intro of a 0 tails is definitely something to give props for.

HOWEVER, it kinda sucks that his rasengan always get upgraded and become super powerful in the movies and not in the anime series outside of filler eps

for eg:

1st movie: powered by " rainbow chakra " a.k.a raindow rasengan.

2nd movie: upgraded by the stone of gelel.

3rd movie: somehow got powered up by the lunar cresent moon.

1st shippuden movie: powered by that priestess's own power.

2nd movie: massively upgraded by the 9 tails chakra,aka the tornado rasengan.

See the pattern? they always and i mean they always do that for every single movie. They've haven't done that once with Bleach or any of the Shouen Jump series. It's starting to wonder if there's some kind of favouritism when it comes to narutoor something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:34 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

To Maile: If you're reading this, save yourself some grief... don't read the official Naruto forums, or any nasty or hateful comments that come your way from the "trolling fans".

They criticize her for being a girl? Wow, dark ages sexism much? And if they don't realize Naruto's voice in Japanese is also provided by a girl, then these people are either incredibly stupid or incredibly stupid weeaboos who think Naruto is their gateway anime. How they can even call her voice worse than the abomination that was 4Kids I'll never know.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
They're also stunningly ignorant of general animation voice-over practices, considering that young male characters have always been frequently voiced by women.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
They're also stunningly ignorant of general animation voice-over practices, considering that young male characters have always been frequently voiced by women.

Truth has been spoken. They probably think some actual young boy voices Naruto in Japanese. Lamebrains I tell you! Anime hyper
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
I thought it was a pretty darn good film compared to the previous films. Sure it had nowhere to go because of the nature of said shonen films but hey, it was fun. I'm hoping to get this on bluray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2