• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop does Star Trek

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Bishi SD Klingons in sailor suits I can hardly wait . Razz
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
... wow.

I wonder if it's going to be based on original characters, or if it'll be adding on to the already created stories.

EDIT: Oh wait. I should read better. *just noticed the Next Gen thing*
Kouga13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what It's going to be like, Star Trek in manga. Don't know, doesn't seem like something that'd work. Hopefully they'll surprise me Anime smile . Heh Cardassians in manga, can't wait!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:56 pm Reply with quote
It'll probably be some original character designs. Judging by how many Trekies there are out there, I don't think they (the Japanese staff) would want to upset them (the Trekies.) As long as they keep most of the stuff from TNG as accurate as possible, it might be interesting to see.

Ah, but what would I know, I don't even read manga... Embarassed, but TNG is my favorite Star Trek series. Wink

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:17 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting and admittedly cool step for Tokyopop, and I hope it turns out well for them.

Oh yeah, Mariana Sirtis is the HOTTEST woman in Star Trek EVER!
gnollman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Ooookay..... I'll have to be completely honest and say that I'd rather they didn't.... Star Trek's comic history hasn't been as illustrious as say, Dark Horse and Star Wars....

I'll check it out, but no high hopes....
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

I think she got better looking in the latter part of the series, but I'd rather go with Jeri Ryan. Although, I really like Marina's accent, not to mention she looked quite pretty in First Contact. Embarassed

gnollman wrote:
Ooookay..... I'll have to be completely honest and say that I'd rather they didn't.... Star Trek's comic history hasn't been as illustrious as say, Dark Horse and Star Wars....

Yeah, I kinda agree here. I never could really imagine any Star Trek in comic form, let alone something as great as TNG. It'd be interesting to see, but I sometimes think it could tarnish the original if not handled properly... Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Tokyopop will have to pay extra to use the likenesses of the actors from the show.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:01 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

You know... I never could understand why people foundher hot. I never found her hot on the show, and she certainly wasn't hot in person two months ago at the Montreal Anime Expo(given, no makeup artist, and 10 years older... but as I said, I never found her hot on the show).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:12 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I get the idea that all Tokyopop is interested in is acquiring the gold-pressed latinum. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kiwidomingobleu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:40 am Reply with quote
TNG's alright (Voyager's better of course :-p) But I can't see this doing well...Star Trek books and comics...yeah never been so good I think. But maybe this'll be better. We can hope
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:52 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
You know... I never could understand why people foundher hot. I never found her hot on the show, and she certainly wasn't hot in person two months ago at the Montreal Anime Expo(given, no makeup artist, and 10 years older... but as I said, I never found her hot on the show).

Well I don't find her "hot." I just thought she looked pretty. I paid more attention to here facial features rather than her body... Embarassed
kiwidomingobleu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:00 am Reply with quote
I didn't like either of the females on TNG, I don't know why people do. That series is all about...uhh...no wait I don't really like any of the characters in that series.

Actually, Ensign Ro was an okay character
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Zeiram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:04 am Reply with quote
Voyager's better? Bah, I mean they struggled to get their plot right. TNG was best in my opinion, they defined all the boundaries of the show, settng the bar for sci fi etc. Voyager set no bars, it bout made some of them monotonous.

I enjoyed both, have no affection for the femmes on the show.

Deep space nine was best and deserves some respect.

Now back on topic, I'll check it out, but no high hopes ^^ star trek is so outdated now, I wanna see more Leiji works.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:06 am Reply with quote
kiwidomingobleu wrote:
I didn't like either of the females on TNG, I don't know why people do. That series is all about...uhh...no wait I don't really like any of the characters in that series.

Actually, Ensign Ro was an okay character

Ro? Nah. I don't know what it is, but Bajourans (however you spell it) always seem to give off this really uptight and mean attitude. I liked all of the crew in TNG and I think Pichard's the best captain out of all the Star Trek series. Janeway is my 2nd.

I don't really have a thing for the girls in TNG, but I kinda thought Jeri Ryan's character was just interesting.

Are the releasing this manga in Japan first? Do they Japanese even like Star Trek over there?

EDIT: Oops, fogot to welcome you to the forum! Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2