• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Making the Band

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(A quick google search suggests that Super Saiyan 4 and 5 exist in episodes I haven't seen. Great.)

Hate to say it, but you've been Dragonball AF 'ed. Laughing
Super Saiyan 4 "exists" in GT, if you count that as canon but SSJ5 is a made up part of an elaborate hoax known as Dragonball AF. Havng been a Dragonball fan for so long it's neat to see the rumors still floating around the net.

As for K-ON!, I always thought it looked really nice on Blu-ray, but maybe that's because I'm comparing it to the SD fullscreen version I had to suffer through when it was on TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fortunately the dub re-writing manages to add a little more depth

You've got to be f***ing kidding me. The only thing the dub "adds" is a bunch of b.s. changed dialogue that shouldn't be there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
And I thought I was the only one who considered the Boo saga as the worst one from the entire series. It seemed as if Toriyama was throwing random ideas like a Super Saiyan with no eyebrows or an eternal Fusion that does not work. After so much randomness, the arc ends with Goku ripping off the Namek arc, as he has to make a super Spirit Ball and Vegeta has to be beaten up in the process to make time. It appears that Dragon Ball GT took the same ideas from the Boo saga for its second half, considering how it ended.
sonryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
^ As I understand it, Toriyama wanted to end his Dragonball (Z) manga with the Cell arc, and it was the 'powers that be' (ie share holders?) that requested more from him (so they could make more money). If this is any kind of excuse, I'm sure Toriyama just wasn't into it when he was writing/illustrating the Buu arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Zags

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Haberkorn does his best to create a new character, but his voice is so distinct it's distracting.

Yup. I have nothing but agreement with you there.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
sonryu wrote:
^ As I understand it, Toriyama wanted to end his Dragonball (Z) manga with the Cell arc, and it was the 'powers that be' (ie share holders?) that requested more from him (so they could make more money). If this is any kind of excuse, I'm sure Toriyama just wasn't into it when he was writing/illustrating the Buu arc.

He actually wanted to end it with the Namek arc, leaving a closed ending with Goku, the only Super Saiyan existing, dieing in Namek leaving Earth's safety to his son. Last time I watched the Kai version from the series, I noted a weird plot hole in which Kuru, the Dragon Ball creator from Namek, is revived by a wish that said that everybody KILLED by Frieza and his men was revived. Guru had a natural death, so I suppose that both Vegeta and Krilling were supposed to stay dead in Toriyama's mind.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I wish people would stop insisting they know when Toriyama "really" wanted to end DB.

http://www.kanzentai.com/intended_end.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Aw. But....I really, really liked the Buu saga. It was just really fun!

Also, I like Super Buu more than the Fat Buu. Don't get me wrong, I still like the fat Buu, but the more evil Buu felt like more of a threat.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish people would stop insisting they know when Toriyama "really" wanted to end DB.

Well, you certainly can't deny that both the Freiza and Cell story arcs had definitive-enough endings that certainly indicate that both could have been the actual ending when they each happened.

Hell, even recently the end of the Hueco Mundo arc in Bleach was done as a way of actually ending the manga; Kubo Tite even admitted that he made that "ending" as such just in case Shuiesha wanted the manga to end right there. It's very likely Toriyama ended Freiza the way it did so that he could effectively say to Shueisha "There, it's over. Can I make a new title now?" Naturally, Sheuisha wanted more DB, and Toriyama later gave Cell a similarly-definitive ending, only to end up making more DB and giving the manga an open-ended finish for the longest time, which gave Toei the ability to make GT.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
Azusa is frustrated by Yui, who doesn't realize her strings have rusted, and has never even seen a guitar tuner.

I have an off suspicion that K-On! is secretly a magical girl show. Wait! Hear me out--except the creators forgot to mention this and then stripped all the Sailor Moon-esque stuff out of it (K-On! would rock if it had a Tuxedo Mask and talking magical black cat). How else can we explain Yui's magical, idiot-savant-like powers with the guitar (despite no previous musical experience, not having touched a guitar, no lessons or musical education), powers which appear to be fueled entirely by her cuteness, and the voracious inhalation of tea and sweets (the source of their magic?)?

K-On! is the un-magical gir, Magical Girl show.

Erin wrote:
That said, everything else on this disc was a rehash of the first half of the series... Speaking of which, “rich” is not a personality or characterization. It might be part of writing a real character, but you've got to add some other traits!

I heartily agree, but watching cute girls do cute things is like watching the otters at the zoo: you're there for the cuteness.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
The Fairy Tail dub is ok, 2nd to the JP version.
Don't like the change to Cancer's ebi.
Haberkorn was a bit off but now I'm used to it, Cherami is hit and miss with Lucy, same voice (Colleen) for strong women for Erza is boring but ok, Gray's voice is also hit and miss but like the Ice Make moments, Happy just sucks. Series starts off ok but will turn into the usual, characters level up during a fight and beat their superior opponent who has only taken about 35% of the attacks the hero received, whatever established logic gets a big crap on its head, spoiler[Lightning Fire Dragon Natsu thanks to Laxus giving his power to him, would have made more sense if he permanently used the the Godslayer fire Zancrow used]

Mashima's other big screw ups to me
I'm a Levy x Gajeel hater, I wanted her and Lucy to get together.
Mest better keep his ass away from Wendy.
The stuff in the spoiler.
daichi383

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
tsunayakuin wrote:
The Fairy Tail dub is ok, 2nd to the JP version.
Don't like the change to Cancer's ebi.
Haberkorn was a bit off but now I'm used to it, Cherami is hit and miss with Lucy, same voice (Colleen) for strong women for Erza is boring but ok, Gray's voice is also hit and miss but like the Ice Make moments, Happy just sucks. Series starts off ok but will turn into the usual, characters level up during a fight and beat their superior opponent who has only taken about 35% of the attacks the hero received, whatever established logic gets a big crap on its head, spoiler[Lightning Fire Dragon Natsu thanks to Laxus giving his power to him, would have made more sense if he permanently used the the Godslayer fire Zancrow used]

Mashima's other big screw ups to me
I'm a Levy x Gajeel hater, I wanted her and Lucy to get together.
Mest better keep his ass away from Wendy.
The stuff in the spoiler.

Its not that mashima screws up per se, its more that he's just the biggest friggin troll on the face of the planet Rolling Eyes
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Everybody's always ragging on K-On-but I must admit that I enjoy the series for what it is-and except for some light lessons on life it is mostly a moe comedy sol affair. My beef is that the blurays (for whatever undisclosed reason) don't have a lossless soundtrack.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Fortunately the dub re-writing manages to add a little more depth

You've got to be f***ing kidding me. The only thing the dub "adds" is a bunch of b.s. changed dialogue that shouldn't be there.

No, I'm not kidding. Besides the example I quoted in the column, there was a long modified speech where Vegeta is lamenting that he's not stronger than Goku. In the dub, Vegeta emphasizes that Goku always showed mercy to his opponents, but in the subs, Vegeta is only concerned about being number one. There are several other scenes where the dub tries to add in a little more drama to keep things interesting.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Well, you certainly can't deny that both the Freiza and Cell story arcs had definitive-enough endings that certainly indicate that both could have been the actual ending when they each happened.

Hell, even recently the end of the Hueco Mundo arc in Bleach was done as a way of actually ending the manga; Kubo Tite even admitted that he made that "ending" as such just in case Shuiesha wanted the manga to end right there. It's very likely Toriyama ended Freiza the way it did so that he could effectively say to Shueisha "There, it's over. Can I make a new title now?" Naturally, Sheuisha wanted more DB, and Toriyama later gave Cell a similarly-definitive ending, only to end up making more DB and giving the manga an open-ended finish for the longest time, which gave Toei the ability to make GT.

It sure looks as if Toriyama had carefully planned the Namek arc until Guru was revived even though it was not possible. Even the funny naming conventions the new characters had were lost in the Androids arc, and although it had its epic points, it was quite obvious that Toriyama was getting tired of the series by the Boo arc.

About the Kazentai source, it would be better to have actual interviews rather than theories versus theories.

However, although Bleach could have ended with Hueco Mundo it would have left some storylines opened such as Ichigo's father's past as a Soul Reaper which is hinted a lot across the arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3