Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shin chan Season 3 Part 1


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zetsuie



Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 192
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
its sad they can't even spring for a sub of this Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8044
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
its sad they can't even spring for a sub of this Sad


The explanation goes that it's because Shin-chan episodes are pasted together from segments of the original program, so having a Japanese with subtitles version would make little sense when the segments originally might have nothing to do with each other. Though I would argue that the segments don't need to, because that's how the show is to begin with.

Ah well. Perhaps if Funimation licenses one of the movies it'll include both language tracks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TitanXL



Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 4036
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
its sad they can't even spring for a sub of this Sad


Impossible. They digitally paint edit stuff for the jokes and switch episodes around, and while Shin-chan isn't really a plot-driven series, there is definite continuity and a timeline. For example... Himawari wasn't in the show originally.. Misae being pregnant with her and giving birth to her was a part of the show (fans actually got to choose the baby's name as part of a promotion/contest) The dub kind of kept a bit of that timeline in with their house blowing up and them having to move into some apartments for awhile, though it was drastically changed.

I haven't seen a bulk of the Japanese episodes, just about a hundred or so and the movies.. but I'm curious if there's a list of which episodes Funi uses.. it'd be interesting to see just how much they hop around. Can't be anything before 1999 though since that was when Ai was first introduced.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
redranger



Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 263
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
Shin Chan really does look like shit, huh?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msgundam2



Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 270
Location: Indiana USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
"Art : D"
It's called a art style. What next complain about The Simpson being yellow or South Park looking like cutout shapes of construction paper?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16495
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
"Art : D"
It's called a art style.


Yes, and it's an ugly art style. (The Simpsons, contrarily, is immensely better.) What's your point?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence



Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 2047
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
zetsuie wrote:
its sad they can't even spring for a sub of this Sad


You could still go for the KIKU-TV su.....oh wait.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AilisKnil



Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Posts: 87
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Another example of how Funimation still manages to hold the industry back. It's 2011; if you're going to license something, then do it right. The little edits are really cute and all but they have no business being in an official release. Funimation is stuck a decade in the past, back when garbage like Robotech was considered acceptable. I will never understand how this terrible company manages to remain popular.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike Hazama



Joined: 13 Dec 2011
Posts: 45
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
Another example of how Funimation still manages to hold the industry back. It's 2011; if you're going to license something, then do it right. The little edits are really cute and all but they have no business being in an official release. Funimation is stuck a decade in the past, back when garbage like Robotech was considered acceptable. I will never understand how this terrible company manages to remain popular.


They're popular because it's one botched show out of however many they have where they give proper releases and dubs to. Where as companies like 4Kids ruin every single show they touch.

I agree the dub is pretty poor and very disrespectful, but this is an 800+ episode series we're talking about. There's no way it'd air the way it is currently; let alone sell in it's entirety on DVD. They even struggle with sales for Keroro Gunsou, which is far more in tuned to what anime fans actually like. Keroro Gunsou has a similar heavily altered dub, but they don't swap episodes or edit the footage so an uncut sub is viable.

There are countries besides the US which show a true to the original Shin-chan, and are even somewhat close to how many episodes Japan has, but it just wouldn't fly in America in it's current state. America is very backwards when it comes to a lot of anime the rest of the world likes, so some dubs like these are the only chance they have to appeal to the adult animation fandom here which loves shows like Family Guy and South Park. Though I guess it's not really the same show anymore so it doesn't matter if the new version succeeds or not Confused

It's just like the Super Sentai franchise. There's no way American TV would let a Japanese program air with Japanese actors and subtitles outside a foreign language channel. So they had to whitewash all of them into Power Rangers and reshoot stuff, while the original versions of Super Sentai actually aired in other countries at times. Sad It's an unfortunate fact of life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:
"Art : D"
It's called a art style.


Yes, and it's an ugly art style. (The Simpsons, contrarily, is immensely better.) What's your point?


Your a pretty spot on reviewer Key and more often than not, I do enjoy reading your reviews. I have great respect for anyone that takes time to see series for it' is and takes to the time to truly understand that.

Okay fair enough the art style certainly isn't the show's strong point and maybe it's not as modernized as shows produced in 2011-2012, but the series has two-three aspects of this show that make up for the art.

The first aspect is the fact that Shin Chan has such a exceptional, talented and brilliant voice actors. There may be some great female voice actors (Wendy Lee, Luci Christan etc) but in my opinion, Laura Bailey is easily the only female voice actor that is truly not afraid to be truly hilarious and truly is talented with understanding the characters. Let's not forget how creative she is, when I watch Shin Chan, it's very obvious she isn't reading letter for letter on the script and really does enjoy what she does.

Another bonus is that Chris Sabbat is part of this show as well. Although I am likely always to think of him as being Picolo's voice actor, but man, hearing him on Shin Chan is entirely new experience and really is something that can only be described as exceptional. I will say there are other great voice actors in this show, but there is too many to list.

Another great aspect of this show is that the characters truly don't conform to any standards of that time period. Shin is anything but normal or stereotypical, the same could be said about the other characters. Shin doesn't apologize for what he does, he doesn't try to be someone he is not and above all is nothing but a endless amount of hilarity.

The last aspect of Shin Chan that works very well for them is that Shin Chan (the series) has a plot and it's mostly comedic. Nothing (to me) is worse than watching a show that is depressing, bleak or boring. Shin Chan for the most part is more hilarious than not because of the off the wall humor and sometimes borderline offensive humor as well.

Yes, the artwork may not look as nice as some newer anime, but what it lacks in art style, it makes up in characters, excellent voice actors and actually has a plot to a certain degree.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sunday Silence



Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 2047
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Mike Hazama wrote:
It's an unfortunate fact of life.


And it's an unfortunate fact of life people that want the original stuff are left to resort to illegal means, and spending the potential profit that could've been reaped by the companies elsewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike Hazama



Joined: 13 Dec 2011
Posts: 45
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
True that. I'd buy up every single DVD/BD of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider if they were released.

Owning Kamen Rider Fourze and OOO and W and etc on BD would be awesome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
merr



Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Posts: 239
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Mike Hazama wrote:
It's an unfortunate fact of life.


And it's an unfortunate fact of life people that want the original stuff are left to resort to illegal means, and spending the potential profit that could've been reaped by the companies elsewhere.

What potential profit? If this show could've made money in its unaltered state, don't you think Funimation would've released it that way? Or do they just hate money? The Japanese version of the show has been around for decades. It's not like ADV and Geneon were champing at the bit to license it way before Funi came along. Even with the profits Funi makes from the dub, I doubt the extra costs of licensing and production would make it feasible for them to include the Japanese version.

Basically, you're in the same position you'd be in if Funi's dub didn't exist at all. So why are people complaining and acting as though Funi has somehow stolen something away from you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16495
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
Another example of how Funimation still manages to hold the industry back. It's 2011; if you're going to license something, then do it right. The little edits are really cute and all but they have no business being in an official release. Funimation is stuck a decade in the past, back when garbage like Robotech was considered acceptable. I will never understand how this terrible company manages to remain popular.


You're utterly missing the point. This is a parody dub, not one that was ever meant to be treated as a seriously accurate portrayal of the original content. (And I know I'm far from the only one who finds it damned funny.) Don't try for even a second to treat this like it's symptomatic of what's wrong with the American anime industry. It is an exception, one that Funi never tries to disguise as the original.

And Teriyaki Terrier: You hardly need to convince me that this one's got some great dub performances. An earlier release did get mentioned in my end-of-year dub honors back in 2009.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AilisKnil



Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Posts: 87
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
Shin-chan is hardly an exception to Funimation's repertoire of botched releases. For example, how many times has their terrible DVD compression been brought up and never dealt with? Perhaps if this particular release came from a more respectable company, I would be more okay with it, but to me it's just one of the many straws that Funimation keeps adding to. Frankly, I find their practices insulting as a consumer, and it's a wonder they have so many fans to dance around them as they consistently churn out sub-par products.

And surely Funimation never tries to pass this dub off as faithful to the original content, but they in no way - as far as I can tell - make any attempt to distinguish it. I do find it funny, but I will never allow that to obscure the fact that Funimation is doing a complete disservice to the original show. This basically amounts to taking an artist's work, replacing all the bits you're able to with the least amount of money possible, and releasing it in such a butchered state simply to sell more copies. Like I said, it's wonderful, but a professional company that should, ideally, be releasing anime in formats as close to the original as possible should not be doing this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group