• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inu x Boku Secret Service (Inu × Boku SS) (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Inu x Boku Secret Service (TV) or Inu × Boku SS

Plot Summary wrote:
The socially-inept Ririchiyo has come here to improve himself. She meets secret service bodyguard Soushi, who is assigned to protect residents. He has a request of her: "Please make me your dog."

I delibertly left the first part of the plot summary as I did not read it before watching, and I want to go through the experience watching.

Ok so the main character loli looking girl who seems to be a compulsive tsundere. Yes we are very familiar with the loli tsundere, but hey this uses it as a defence mecahnism from being from a rich family, and apparently trauma. But will really have a male lead that can take her behaviour and not be turned away? Well the dude is a white haired bishounen with two different eye colour, who takes his abuse almost like he is a masochist, and the only alternative for not serving her is a self proclaimed execution. The chemestry between the two could be funny, him being a cross between a buttler and secret service makes it kind of like Hayate, except this guy really nearly falls into stalker catagorey.

So now we look at a couple other characters: We have a kind of air head, cute girl who is somehow a secret service, seems a bit improbable but might have some fun latter on. Oh and we have a big breasted woman from secret service, who probably is dangerous attributes, but she has an affinity for MC's cuteness, probably play the part of scary yuri character. Oh we finally learn about the trauma, people picked on her for only being important because of family, and others just being nice because of her family, with their own goals.

Ok so into the third part. Oh no some guy with a spoiler[gun is threatening her. Wait, why is she not afraid, why are her eyes glowing, what is going on here? What, there yokai in this show, that is pretty sweet. So the guy who was a dog is a kitsune (I get it), girl who started out cool but went very emotional is a Yuki-onna (also get it). Now what is cute airhead, hmm her clothes dissapeared, Shocked she is a giant skellaton also called a *looks on web* Gashadokuro.] Ok now it has something running for it, was not too excited about it before, but now I am interested.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised to see spoiler[all of them being a supernatural being ] as it seemed like a normal anime. Anyway when I saw the PV of this anime, I was thinking that girl was an exact clone of the loli detective in Kamisama no mechou.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
please, tell me this anime is for girls. I don't why I like it.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
It's manga counterpart is published in a shonen magazine. Girls do read shonen mags but the content isn't made with them in mind.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
Why should what gender it aimed at affect if you like something Spotlessden, plenty of guys enjoy some shoujo like Kimi ni Todoke. The guy is pretty bishounen, so there is reason for girls to like it.

I am waiting for my sis to finish to see what she thinks of it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
Well, this is certainly a show case for the Japanese fetish for obsequious behaviour (for some reason I'm reminded of Churchill's famous quote about Germans, "They are either at your throat or at your feet") but I dig it. We rarely see a tsundere who realizes she's a tsundere right off that bat so that's kind of a new wrinkle. I too was unaware of the yokai (or half-yokai) element of the show, but I always like that kind of stuff, so it's cool with me. Glad to see there is a yuri horndog in the mix, too.
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
My reaction to this is sort of like the thread opener, except in reverse. and with opposite results.

1)Oh, a tsun lolibait MC who understands she's kind of a bitch all the time. It's like this show knows it's an anime already or something.

2)Scraggly dude friend seems kinda cool

3)Oh boy, a butler. One with no self worth and an ambiguous past relationship with Rearcheerio. Ahahaha, a seppuku gag. So funny.

4)Service, service, bad dream service, service, bad dream

5)Dandere with red hair? this show sure is breaking the mold! Oh, can't forget perverse adult lesbian/bisexual lolicon.

6)Hashy backstory of how being rich has led Rearcheerio into a life of loneliness and self-hate. Ominous janitors.

7)Oh no, one of them magically procured a sizable gun in the middle of Japan somehow! Maybe those secret service dudes know kung fu or some other method of self defense? I mean surely there's a reason they all wear suits...

8)????

9)AND THEN EVERYTHING STEPPED INTO GENERIC BRAND GENERIC LIGHT NOVEL TERRITORY. IT WAS ALL BAD.
dropped, the end.

Frankly, I'm amazed at how restraining themselves from showing off all the derpy yokai mystical juju actually made it all the worse when it happened.

I mean, as unfunny and uninteresting as the interactions for the first 2/3 of the episode were, I at least hoped it'd continue with the half-assed humor. I would at least give it the four-episode chance.

But naw, sitting through "woolooloo magical transformation mystic yokai desu behold minnatachi no amazing powers" with my lips curled behind my teeth once is enough for me.

Also, the cool guy is a scroll. The hell's up with that, seriously?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Ririchiyo seems to be part Oni, she was shown with a mask in the OP, and mosnter form, aswell as cool horns, I guess that kind of plays against what she looks like. Smile I was reminded of Haruhi-chan with Haruhi's weird take on the legend. Well despite acting tsun all the time she can be surprisingly honest in writen form, I am not minding her character, she aint selfish.

I liked the seperate comparisons of Soushi to dogs, first being a golden reteiver in being really clingy, and then manipulative like a cocker spanuel. Not sure if I had seen black bishie sparkles before. He calls Renshou big brother now.

I don't quite understand what you had against the Youkai reveal Konopan, I was happy that there could be a good reason for Soushi to honor her so mcuh rather than what realistic thing they could make. So what is wrong with Renshou being a Ittan-momen, I hapen to think it makes him more interesting.

It seems that we have had two false calls of something more dangerous hapening, I wonder if we will see next what they are looking out for, or at least the school that she is there to attend.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
I loved the first scene with Ririchiyo and Rensyo, both how he understands her and that instant tsundere thing she was doing, badmouthing him and then immediately showing concern and offering ready help.
"I was just practicing my handwriting! Also!... this lifts curry stains"

Although I hope they add some depth to Soushi soon. His puppy act is funny and it can definitely work as a show's running gag, but the way it's his only defining feature is getting old pretty damn quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
silencer226

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
So far, I think this show has been alright. Its just been two episodes, I honestly thought she would turn out being a vampire, not whatever the hell she turned into. I don't really like Soushi, he's strong, but I can't fathom why he would put up with someone like her Razz.

Despite me saying that, I'm partly watching because I think Ririchiyo is adorable, bitchy, but adorable. Embarassed

Edit: But Rensyo makes me chuckle sometimes, spoiler[like when they were trapped in episode 2 and he was like "Then let's go to sleep",] that totally would have been my attitude for that situation.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
silencer226 wrote:

Despite me saying that, I'm partly watching because I think Ririchiyo is adorable, bitchy, but adorable. Embarassed

Maybe I've seen way too many bad tsunderes, but she doesn't really seem that bitchy to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Eh, cute show. Although I agree with SM that the puppy dog thing is going to get real old fast if that gong is hit too much. I do like how they work in that there is an element of manipulation to his seemingly innocent puppy dog devotion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
So it is not just that that she was born into the family, but that she just hapened to have a lot of youkai blood. It was rather sad that she was kept around fakes spoiler[instead of being the love of her parents, and when she said how jealouse she was of her sister her father hit, as if he hated her.] Mixed with her cold facade she is probably one of my favourite characters this season. I don't know if it was intentional but I found the part where she spoiler[tipped water on her head after he stood up for her was kind of awesome.] She aint any normal boring tsundere.

Looks like Karuta might become Ririchiyo's friend, would be good that she doesn't take everything she says at face value. The Yuki-onna has also grown onto me a bit, I found her bits of pervyness funny, was she smelling a bra, but also genuinly kind. It is kind of unexpected that she is Renshou's guard, but some what refreshing, I liked the bit where she spoiler[talked about shreding him, and Ririchiyo looked shocked.]

New characters look possibly interesting, don't see bunny eared buttlers too often.
swienke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
New characters look possibly interesting, don't see bunny eared buttlers too often.

Especially bunny-eared butlers voiced by Mamoru Miyano. That alone is enough to make me bounce around my room in barely contained delight. Laughing

Btw, am I the only one who sort of got Fruits Basket vibes from this episode? The way she was treated by her family really reminds me of the way that spoiler[the Zodiac members were treated by the Sohma family: with a type of false reverence that treated them more as objects than people.] I don't think this is going to end up as tragic as FB did, but the fact that it has a bit of a similar atmosphere has made me actually kind of excited for this show.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
yeah it sort of was a fruit basket moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6