• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: How do you prefer to watch anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow I didn't know fansubs were considered download to own. Confused

If the acting is good then I prefer dubs. Stuff like Vampire Princess Miyu and the like are unwatchable dubbed. But in general the newer it is the better chance the acting is going to be acceptable. Though I generally like to watch both the sub and dub. But as time grows short these days, I am doing that less and less.

TV and DVDs/BDs for the other questions.

Typos

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I prefer to watch an episode or two a night, and that is how I deal with older shows, but I don't have the self-control to wait for a new show to be completely released.
interestedno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I used to have to watch an entire series (e.g., InuYasha) in at most three sittings, much like the marathon, but now I prefer just a couple of episodes if I really like the series, or one if I think it's okay. Most definitely and always do I watch subbed; the whole reason why I didn't like anime before was because it was dubbed, and I also prefer to watch anime on my 24" (viewable) computer rather than a tv. I do watch fansubs, but I also buy everything I watch more than one episode of, though I wait for a complete series box set.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I missed that fansubs were included under "download to own" the second time. Did my resubmit update my voting?

As to what I prefer and practice, I prefer to own the stuff I like (on DVD that is) over only watching it illegally. However, I prefer even more to watch something before I buy it and only then buy the things I liked. Therefore I watch everything as fansubs first, then buy some of it later. (Yes, I know this is only possible because fansubs/illegal downloads exist in the first place, and wouldn't happen in an 'ideal'/completely legal world.)

I'm explaining here because I think the survey didn't really capture this method.

Yes, marathoning ftw. In fact, I only buy complete series and don't really understand why DVD companies don't release all the DVDs for a series at the same time.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
There was a time when I could watch an entire series in a sitting but those days are long dead. I don't even like to watch an entire anime series without some other show in between. I burn out on shows fast. I dont think this is a mark against the shows though. They are meant to be viewed weekly. Plus spaced out viewing decreases a lot of the irritating recap in animes. It's annoying to see so many flashbacks to stuff you just saw an hour ago. It's not as annoying when the last episode you watched was weeks ago.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Even given a good dub, I now usuall prefer to watch anime in its original Japanese with subtitles. If it's a top-notch dub, I'll usually switch it up every time I rewatch. I tend to rewatch every anime I have on DVD once every year, so I'm not adversed to watching the dubs from time to time if they're at least decent.

I will never, ever get acostumed to relying on downloading anime. Fansubs until the licensed version is released is one thing, but it's just so much better to watch something I love on professional DVDs with my DVD/television set up. Even watching legally released downloadable versions seems alien to me. I don't want anime on my computer. I want it on television when possible. I only settle for the former when necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
It's annoying to see so many flashbacks to stuff you just saw an hour ago.

Even more so when the end of the last scene before the eyecatch/commercial break is shown again directly after it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
For me I'll watch a show in both the English dub and Japanese sub if the DVD has both. If the DVD just have the Japanese I will watch it as well.

I try to watch as many episodes as I can in a given time period. If I have a 2 hour window to watch episodes I will try watch 2 hours worth of episodes. I usually marathon like that since I do have limited time to watch the way I want to. I rarely do an episode or two at a time anymore since I did that when I had like maybe 1 or 2 DVD's that I haven't watched yet, well now I have like a larger amount maybe 10+ that I have to work though so I try and get what I can done in the time that I have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Some of the questions were tough to answer, like what screens I prefer to watch on. I answered TV's because I like to connect my laptop to large TV's and watch my fansubs on them. I'm sure tons of others do this through PS3's and 360's as well, so answering for TV's doesn't mean everyone is doing it legally.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm having trouble answering the questions when some of the questions don't even apply. Such as dubbed or subtitled. Are you referring to this as English dubbed? Or are you talking about either dub. And as for preferences, I think raw should be a choice to fill out as well. I don't think I can participate in the survey unless I see something that applies to people who don't even watch either kind with an English dub or subtitles.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Dubbed and DVD for me. That's how I got into anime and that's how I prefer it. I'll watch subbed as a preview (only legal now, I stopped watching fansubs awhile back) but that's all at this point. I buy a lot of DVDs and I watch them on my nice big widescreen HD TV. Very Happy
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Subbed only, DVD, on my 27" screen TV. Fansubs I watch on my laptop, but this is most definitely not my preferred way, as it usually gets stuck, has crappy illegible fonts, bad grammar, sound and video is not synched properly, and whatever that annoying thing is when it makes big squares all over, breaking up the picture, and then dies. But I do like watching stuff coming out in Japan for preview purposes, or if it looks like it might be a while until it comes out in the U.S., if ever.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I'm having trouble answering the questions when some of the questions don't even apply. Such as dubbed or subtitled. Are you referring to this as English dubbed? Or are you talking about either dub. And as for preferences, I think raw should be a choice to fill out as well. I don't think I can participate in the survey unless I see something that applies to people who don't even watch either kind with an English dub or subtitles.

I'm sure they mean English dub since that's generally what is meant by "dub."
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Wow I didn't know fansubs were considered download to own. Confused

That was a mistake, I've removed it, but the survey's going to end up skewed that way now... oh well...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
That was a mistake, I've removed it, but the survey's going to end up skewed that way now... oh well...

You could always start it over, it hasn't been open that long. Or you could do nothing and just leave it if it's not that big of a deal, and just maybe make an addendum in the title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4