Chiaki Kuriyama, Kei Tanaka Star in Manga-Based Shikeidai no 72-Jikan
posted on by Sarah Nelkin
Japanese television channel NHK announced a live-action television adaptation of Chie Shinohara's one-shot manga Shikeidai no 72-Jikan (The Gallows' 72 Hours). The first special will premiere on Japan's NHK BS Premium channel on November 26. The second and final episode will debut on December 3.
The suspense story revolves around five young women and men who are caught up in a search to find the truth behind a man's apparent suicide. When the group is locked in a secluded house, they are told that one of them murdered the man. If the culprit does not confess within 72 hours, all five trapped people will die.
The cast for the drama is as follows:
- Chiaki Kuriyama (Battle Royale, Kill Bill, The Sky Crawlers) as pharmaceutical company employee Kiriko Natsuki
- Kei Tanaka (.hack//The Movie, Library War, Tokyo University Story) as IT company president Takaaki Himuro
- Daichi Mao as Kaoru, the dead man's mother
- Shō Aoyagi as Satoshi Nikaidō
- Aimi Satsukawa as Yuka Matsubara
- Marie Machida as Mayumi Takayanagi
The one-shot was originally published in the Tōbō Kyūkō (Escape Express) collection of Shinohara's one-shots in 1996. The story then ran in the November 1997 issue of Shogakukan's Petit Comic magazine. It was compiled a second time in the Umi ni Ochiru Tsubame (A Sparrow That Falls into the Sea) volume with other one-shot manga by Shinohara.
Source: Comic Natalie