• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Canvas 2, Venus to Mamoru, Macademi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this batch proves more entertaining than the last couple (though I'm still enjoying the heck out of Demonbane Wink ). I've never even heard of any of these shows; will check out accordingly. If anything, Crunchyroll has been good at keeping me occupied during winter break, and that's a good thing indeed.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. Now there is a show I never expected to be mentioned ever. I did like Canvas 2 since it actually had an adult protagonist as well as an adult relationship. Some of the girls were even sort of charming. But yeah, Kiri ftw.

Even though spoiler[the ending really really sucked. Darn you cousin love!]

And if anybody wants to know, you do not have to watch the first Canvas before you watch Canvas 2. In fact, do not watch the first Canvas as it is a complete mess.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Cool up to 10 new simulcasts on Crunchy for Winter. Plus whatever Funi, Anime Network and ANN can provide. I really hope that simulcasts can become more profitable so it continues and expands.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised with the amount of simulcasts they managed to get. If they are all from the new season then they have over half the shows airing.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:28 pm Reply with quote
-Canvas 2: Ah yes, this one. It had me going in one direction and then it went in a completely different one. Did not like the ending.

-Venus to Mamoru: I remember this having a much longer name. Anyway, now this one was cute. For some reason I never actually finished it. Well, here's an excuse.

-Magician's Academy: THIS SHOW IS HILARIOUS. 'Nuff said.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly, those who do "URL diving" to try to detect which series have pages being set up list Wandering Son among the pages detected.

I find this bizarre, since its a noitaminA block series, and I wouldn't imagine that the contract between Fiji and Funimation that started Spring 2010 is for anything less than a full year. So would that be some form of pass by Funimation? That would seem odd.

Even more surprising would be a shared stream between Funimation and Crunchyroll, as all the common streams they had before were not so much shared streams as parallel streams ~ non-exclusive streaming rights obtained Crunchyroll from one source and then non-exclusive streaming rights obtained by Funimation as part of a broader license acquisition.

Crunchyroll obviously does not have a hard objection to sharing a stream ~ they share Naruto and Bleach with Viz, they shared that Demon Prince series with TAN before TAN started getting exclusive content ~ but a thawing of the relationship between Crunchyroll and Funimation would be welcome news.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Surprisingly, those who do "URL diving" to try to detect which series have pages being set up list Wandering Son among the pages detected.

I find this bizarre, since its a noitaminA block series, and I wouldn't imagine that the contract between Fiji and Funimation that started Spring 2010 is for anything less than a full year. So would that be some form of pass by Funimation? That would seem odd.

Even more surprising would be a shared stream between Funimation and Crunchyroll, as all the common streams they had before were not so much shared streams as parallel streams ~ non-exclusive streaming rights obtained Crunchyroll from one source and then non-exclusive streaming rights obtained by Funimation as part of a broader license acquisition.

Crunchyroll obviously does not have a hard objection to sharing a stream ~ they share Naruto and Bleach with Viz, they shared that Demon Prince series with TAN before TAN started getting exclusive content ~ but a thawing of the relationship between Crunchyroll and Funimation would be welcome news.

Wandering Son wouldn't be a FUNimation title anyways as FUNimation does not produce sub only anime. I'd say it was a "pass" by FUNimation.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:
Cool up to 10 new simulcasts on Crunchy for Winter. Plus whatever Funi, Anime Network and ANN can provide. I really hope that simulcasts can become more profitable so it continues and expands.

I don't look for much from Funimation this time, based on their Fall performance, and TAN will have their usual one (Freezing, I wager).

ANN will be the real wildcard here, since we only have a single season as precedent.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Wandering Son wouldn't be a FUNimation title anyways as FUNimation does not produce sub only anime. I'd say it was a "pass" by FUNimation.
That was my first guess, on that exact basis ... but FUNimation streamed that live action noitaminA show, as TAO pointed out ... so, well, I dunno.

I don't really place bets on what will happen, but a shared stream would definitely be the most interesting outcome.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Wait, I don't understand what you're saying at all. Funimation would clearly dub it later, like they'll probably be doing for Kuragehime and the rest of the noitaminA shows they've acquired. It's not like the shows are dubbed beforehand... The show being only subbed at the beginning of the season wouldn't have anything to do with whether or not Funimation acquired it.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Wait, I don't understand what you're saying at all. Funimation would clearly dub it later, like they'll probably be doing for Kuragehime and the rest of the noitaminA shows they've acquired. It's not like the shows are dubbed beforehand... The show being only subbed at the beginning of the season wouldn't have anything to do with whether or not Funimation acquired it.
I believe that hikaru004 is saying that neither Funimation nor anyone else would dub it, because it won't earn back the cost of a dub, and therefore they won't pick up the DVD license, because they are not going to license a sub-only release.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
LeanGreen wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
I believe that hikaru004 is saying that neither Funimation nor anyone else would dub it, because it won't earn back the cost of a dub, and therefore they won't pick up the DVD license, because they are not going to license a sub-only release.

Alright, I can see that being a good reason. The wording just seriously confused me. Anime smile + sweatdrop Although in my opinion, I think a cross-dressing show (no matter if it's serious or not) would sell better than a hugely experimental show like The Tatami Galaxy.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
There's be no indication thus far that they have anything other than streaming rights for any of their noitaminA partership simulcasts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
There's be no indication thus far that they have anything other than streaming rights for any of their noitaminA partership simulcasts.
However, from an ANNCast interview, the story is that they pick up the streams intending to pick up the license if they can make it work out.

TheAncientOne wrote:
ANN will be the real wildcard here, since we only have a single season as precedent.
Indeed. And it doesn't seem like their model fits with sharing a stream as well as, say, TAN's model or Viz's model.
getsugatenshoumke79

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Indeed. And it doesn't seem like their model fits with sharing a stream as well as, say, TAN's model or Viz's model.
Well, ANN's the new kid on the block in terms of simulcasting, so they may need time to build their simulcasting muscles before thinking about sharing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2