• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders Delays Payments as Execs Depart; B&N Sales Up

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, this is bad news for me. Borders is my favorite book store chain--I love the staff at my local store, the rewards program is great and I buy the majority of my manga there. I hope things turn around for them soon.

(I'm happy to hear that B&N's sales have gone up, even if I don't like them as much. It's nice to see any "real life" book store do well...although I hope we don't get into a scenario where our only choices are Barnes and Noble or online stores.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Borders is the only shop in my town that carries manga, and I try to support them as much as I can rather than going to the internet first (local economy and all that). I've got $70 in gift certificates right now, too, and a whole bunch of Berserk that needs to be bought, so I hope it stays afloat for at least the near future.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Same here. I try to support my local Borders also. I hadn't bought anything from them in a while because my local one rarely gets new stuff. Just recently they had some manga I wanted. Finally.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
(I'm happy to hear that B&N's sales have gone up, even if I don't like them as much. It's nice to see any "real life" book store do well...although I hope we don't get into a scenario where our only choices are Barnes and Noble or online stores.)

The thing is, B&N's sales increase is mostly due to the Nook e-reader and online sales. So I don't know that this is good news for B&N's brick-and-mortar stores.

Sadly, I have a feeling our children will look on the era of physical bookstores as something as quaint and antiquated as our grandparents getting milk delivered to their door. Sad

------RM
darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
What am I not getting here? Borders has a FREE rewards program (although you can pay to upgrade it); B&N has one you have to pay for.

Did they expand faster than they should have? Mismanaged funds?

I honestly hope they don't go out of business. Sad
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
I too hope they can pull it together. I like B&N, but I really like Borders. My local store is usually my first stop when book shopping and the manager is an anime and manga fan. Hopefuly this is just a blip in their reorganization and everything will work out just fine.
tigertora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
borders is the store near me and there manga section has been shrinking over time. The staff seems nice at the local borders but you would think that they would get more books on the shelf.

I do hope that the whole nook think is not the wave of the future the whole read the screen thing just dose not work for me. I like a good book to hold in the hand when I read.
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
I work at barnes and noble and I gotta say the sales increase definitely came from the sales of nook ereaders and ebooks. In fact, on Christmas day so many people were downloading ebooks that the servers crashed. I'm certain in the future barnes and noble will eventually shut down stores as less people buy physical books and more ebooks. All of us will have to some day drive further distances just to go to a bookstore as the major stores will stay open and the smaller ones close.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote
Given that there is a very limited e-manga selection anywhere in the world right now, I cannot understand the expense in getting a e-reader.

Likewise, I rather have tangible items rather than a digital copy.
FMABleach

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
I hope the issue with Borders is not the reason volume 4 of D-Gray Man that I ordered from them is on backorder. T__T

I want to support them as much as possible. B&N seems to be ok at the moment I think?

I hope Borders can survive through this. Sad
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Same here. I try to support my local Borders also. I hadn't bought anything from them in a while because my local one rarely gets new stuff. Just recently they had some manga I wanted. Finally.

Ditto!

If you aren't getting a good selection, then go to their online store. If you use their "ship to store" option, the order will count as a sale to your local store. That's how I'm actually supporting my local store. I just bought $60 worth of anime and manga last month and the manager at my local Waldenbooks was very thankful for it. Smile
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
I buy most of my manga at Borders and give them a lot of business. The Borders by me has recently expanded there manga section. If they go out of business I see my manga purchases going down. I don't have much luck ordering new books online. When I get a manga they usually look like they have been chewed on and read a few times. Honestly if I am going to buy a new manga or book, I want one in good condition and that is something most online retailers can't seem to handle unfortunately. I hope Borders does not go under, but that does not seem very realistic at this point.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
Ditto!

If you aren't getting a good selection, then go to their online store. If you use their "ship to store" option, the order will count as a sale to your local store. That's how I'm actually supporting my local store. I just bought $60 worth of anime and manga last month and the manager at my local Waldenbooks was very thankful for it. Smile

Really? Wow, I always thought I was cheating the stores no matter where I shipped it to. I will now always ship-to-store, regardless of my Borders+ status! xD I want my local store to survive. Anime cry
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
When executives start abandoning ship, out look is cloudy at best. Use those gift cards quickly if you have them.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
I buy most of my manga at Borders and give them a lot of business. The Borders by me has recently expanded there manga section. If they go out of business I see my manga purchases going down. I don't have much luck ordering new books online. When I get a manga they usually look like they have been chewed on and read a few times. Honestly if I am going to buy a new manga or book, I want one in good condition and that is something most online retailers can't seem to handle unfortunately. I hope Borders does not go under, but that does not seem very realistic at this point.

...where are you ordering from? Because I've never had problems with Amazon, Hastings, or Borders' websites. Hastings "used" books are normally "new" quality, actually.

Actually, no-- one time a book Amazon sent me had a ripped cover. I emailed them about it, and they mailed me a replacement immediately. Retailers want to keep your business; if you let them know you're unhappy, normally they'll do whatever they can to fix it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2