• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, January 10-16 [2011-01-21]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Black Butler volume 1? Are you serious? The thing came out January 2010.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

*points to self* Power of the fujoshi. The fact that the second Hetalia volume has stayed at #1 for three weeks, along with volume one being on the list and 'Black Butler'...I won't lie, it made my day. Smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
Huh, Black Butler must seriously be working out for Yen Press. I wish I could see the 2010 BookScan data for that one. But with a series like that, there is already a strong fanbase. After the first wave buys it, then others begin to for multiple reasons (word of mouth, seeing the sales, etc.).

I'm happy Hetalia is doing so well, but I get a sinking, regretful feeling whenever I buy the volumes. I love the series, but there are some issues that irk me every time I read the TP edition. At least my mind tends to ignore/forget about the issues until they actually come up. Still annoying, though I'll continue to buy...
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

That was my initial thought too. But if you look on Amazon you'll see that the Black Butler anime part 1 was released. The may be a bit of a stretch on my part, but I think that may have boosted the manga back onto the chart.
On another note, Yay!! Yotsuba&! is on the list!! Razz
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote
It would not be unusual for the anime to inspire people to buy the manga for Kuroshitsuji. It is a superior experience for my money
I often suspected some of the manga companies licensed manga based on if the anime had been licensed.
LKK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I often suspected some of the manga companies licensed manga based on if the anime had been licensed.

Or even if an anime has been produced at all, licensed in the US or not. The fact that an anime was made for Stigmata no Qwaser is the only reasonable explanation I can come up with for why Tokyopop licensed the manga.
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Huh, Black Butler must seriously be working out for Yen Press. I wish I could see the 2010 BookScan data for that one. But with a series like that, there is already a strong fanbase. After the first wave buys it, then others begin to for multiple reasons (word of mouth, seeing the sales, etc.).

I'm happy Hetalia is doing so well, but I get a sinking, regretful feeling whenever I buy the volumes. I love the series, but there are some issues that irk me every time I read the TP edition. At least my mind tends to ignore/forget about the issues until they actually come up. Still annoying, though I'll continue to buy...

I'd like to see that info on Black Butler too! It seems to be doing REALLY well. Which is great Very Happy Because I'd be heartbroken if they canceled their releases due to poor sales or something.

I feel that regret almost every time I buy something from Tokyopop ._. Especially sitting on the shelf next to a book that was released by someone who actually took the time to make sure it came out right.
For example, Yen Press.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1