• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Pokémon Feature Films to Open on Same Day in July

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Gotta catch 'em both!!
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Gotta catch 'em both!!

Nice!^

Awesome, can't wait for these to be dubbed!
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:02 pm Reply with quote
The headline could be a bit more clear. Until the last sentence of the first paragraph, my assumption was the two films would be competing with each other. A rather insane business decision, but it wouldn't be too surprising.

With two movies and two mini-movies, this thing'll probably total around three hours. I hope Japanese parents are more tolerant of Pokémon than American ones were back when the films were shown in theaters here, 'cause if the aversion is anything like it was here in 1999-2001, three straight hours of Pokémon in an enclosed space may drive most of the weaker parents to suicide.
Haterater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Are we sure its like that? From what I take with the article, its two movies competing with each other. That a theater will show the "Black" and the next time slot will be the "White" one.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Unless one of these films is a two hour hentai featuring Dawn's mom, I really couldn't care less.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
The headline could be a bit more clear. Until the last sentence of the first paragraph, my assumption was the two films would be competing with each other. A rather insane business decision, but it wouldn't be too surprising.

I don't know, sounds more like how the games should theoretically work (only get one.)

However, two full feature-length movies? Back-to-back? How many days in advance to you have to stop drinking to make it through that nightmare? I hope there is an intermission to let your eyes un-cross and take care of things.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Cool that a good way to kill 3 hours
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I'm just waiting for a Pokemon documentary to be made.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:16 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
At this point, I'm just waiting for a Pokemon documentary to be made.
A Pokuméntary?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote
I don't know, the Pokemon movies (except the first), as well as most anime films based on TV shows, are nothing but fillers to me. And I HATE fillers.

The movies take place and the series act as though they never happened by not knowing the Pokemon they encountered and claiming they'd never seen them before. So that being the case, why bother? They don't contribute anything to the show, even the Orange League has some sort of presence in the show and that's meant to be filler.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:39 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Gotta catch 'em both!!

Nice!^

Awesome, can't wait for these to be dubbed!

Hopefully we will be able to watch both of these films english dubbed next year.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not getting the impression that this is a double-feature. It's more like the 6:00 showing is Pokemon: White, and the 8:00 showing is Pokemon: Black. You buy tickets to one, watch it, and then (presumably) beg your parents to take you BACK to the theater to watch the SAME EXACT movie again.

Keep in mind that movies are, on average, 1500 Yen per person (over $15), and the parents have to buy a ticket too... and you're about to see a lot of disgruntled parents and one very smug company.

Then, next year, they can re-release the same movie again with Kyurem and get people to watch/buy it a THIRD time! Rolling Eyes
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
most anime films based on TV shows, are nothing but fillers to me. And I HATE fillers.
If a stand-alone film is nice as a self-contained story but then turns out to be part of a larger story that it doesn't contribute to, does it cease to be nice?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
I don't know, the Pokemon movies (except the first), as well as most anime films based on TV shows, are nothing but fillers to me. And I HATE fillers.

The movies take place and the series act as though they never happened by not knowing the Pokemon they encountered and claiming they'd never seen them before. So that being the case, why bother? They don't contribute anything to the show, even the Orange League has some sort of presence in the show and that's meant to be filler.

Dude, it's a kids' show. Anything that resmbles a concrete storyline within the show either:

-Lasts two, MAYBE three episodes
-Is spread out into monster-of-the-week format
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

That's not entirely true.

While the series doesn't always outright speak of the events that happen in the movies, it does occasionally make reference to them if only more subtle ways. Such as May's rival, Drew, being from a city only shown in the 7th movie. Ash still knowing the Aura in the series that he only learned in the 8th movie, and Dawn buying something in the 10th movie showing up on the series as well.

Also they do know the pokemon they meet from the movie. If a pokemon first seen in a movie shows up in the anime Ash and co's reactions are usually just "Hey, it's a insert movie pokemon!" Unlike in the movie they first appear in, where they usually say "what pokemon is that?" Example Ash knew what a Latios was in his league battle despite never seeing it before in the TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2