• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: IFC Interview with Mamoru Oshii

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be too surprised at the idea of a Cyborg having humanity, after all a Cyborg is originally a human being with cybernetic parts grafted onto them as an extension of their body so there should be no big deal. For example, Precis F. Neumann in Star Ocean EX would technically be a cyborg on the basis that she uses a cybernetic frame on her body or more to the point *rolls eyes* Cyborg 009, the main heroes are originally human with machine parts to enhance their capabilities.

It's androids that are machines from the start to the end that assume the shape of a lifeform. For example, Kurumi is completely synthetic in the since that she wasn't born but created but as such her likeness is to aesthetically and mentally resemble a human girl as much as possible although she is really a machine. It is more interesting for androids to act with human emotions to the extent of man, science and the struggle for creationism whereas with Cyborgs that kind of stuff isn't a breakthrough since the human brain may still be intact. So tell me, why does the idea of a cyborg showing a human side sound so abstract? Being PART machine only means that machine parts are grafted for life support or enhanced capabilities, not that your brain is expected to keel over.

People often confuse these terms, especially in the case of anime and I wouldn't be too surprised if Oshii was one of them.

Therefore, Cyborg and Android are NOT interchangable terms. Yes it DOES matter, stop complaining if you can't get your facts straight and get a dictionary.
skogga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Oshii's drivel about men and machines becoming equal is bunk. Reminds me of those scientists whose wet dream is to be downloaded into a robotic body to survive our so-called extinction. Becoming a machine to survive our corporeal demise is the scientific community's answer to the apocalype myth: the machines would somehow be able to re-create humans from the information they chose to download into them, namely themselves. Bullshit! If they're so set on these tin traps saving humanity from itself ipso-facto, then let's see those scientists get along without electricity, food or water alone in a desert for a few years. Whoever survives could just write a survival guide and that should suffice. Ever heard of RAISING KIDS? Happens all the time, that's how humanity goes on.

Cyborgs are obsolescent anyway. Biotechnology has the possibility of building a body from the ground up way beyond the abilities of a mechanical replacement, with perfect interface to whatever biological components we choose to grow around.

"There is no reality, only perception. But be careful not to misperceive."
genman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps machines in the future will be based on biotech? Then Oshii isn't too far off the mark, in your own estimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1