• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion Inspires Real Operation Yashima After Quake

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote
Oh, Evangelion, is there anything you can't do?

That's a rhetorical question, please don't answer that, anyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
I've seen the movie don't really get it.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
In support, I suggest foreign users unite for Operation Ya Shima-pan. Very Happy

(Yes, I'm odd. Thanks for asking.)
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:30 am Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:

Thats because its a TV series reference which has not made it into the movies.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:36 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

But they did that operation at the end of the first Rebuild movie!

Maybe they renamed it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Nayu wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

Maybe they renamed it...

Hmmm, its entirely possible they didn't even use the name in the movies since they don't really go into nearly as much detail in them. I'm a bit fuzzy having not watched it in a while....
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
From what I remember, basically Misato gets permission to use a super duper positron rifle. The rifle is so massive that it takes the entire electric grid power of Tokyo-3 (maybe even the prefecture? Or more?) to fire it.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Nayu wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

Maybe they renamed it...

I'm positive "Yashima" was mentioned in the movie... but I don't have it on hand to check so I can't say for certain.

Megiddo wrote:
(maybe even the prefecture? Or more?)

The whole country; although I recall having done some calculations for fun a couple years ago comparing the gun's ostensible energy requirements to the output of Japan's national grid, and the numbers didn't seem to add up--but that's neither here nor there.

In any case, hopefully the problems affecting the Fukushima reactor remain minor. Supposedly the risk of the situation there escalating beyond anything on the order of Three Mile Island is non-existent, which is comforting.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
Yes, both Episode 6 and Evangelion 1.11 (and 1.0 and 1.01) mention the name "Operation Yashima", you even see a closeup of the official letter for it at some point (in the 1.0 film, Ritsuko says the name when discussing Misato's plan with her).

Anyway, this is awesome (and in a strange way, heartwarming with banding together) news. I hope this Operation was indeed a success! (It's already 11:30-ish PM there.)
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
This is really a pretty meaningless reference unless you're explicitly looking for it... Kind of like saying "Today in Yakushima, a serial killer boarded a train and killed three people. In the anime series Baccano, several killers board a transcontinental and begin killing people."

Yeah...

But in other news, due to the energy conservation, it seems several online game providers shut down their servers, including World of Warcraft, Metal Gear Online, and Perfect World.
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
This is really a pretty meaningless reference unless you're explicitly looking for it... Kind of like saying "Today in Yakushima, a serial killer boarded a train and killed three people. In the anime series Baccano, several killers board a transcontinental and begin killing people."

Yeah...

But in other news, due to the energy conservation, it seems several online game providers shut down their servers, including World of Warcraft, Metal Gear Online, and Perfect World.

It just shows how prevalent and recognizable the series is to the people.

I don't really care how they do it as long as the stuff they reference serves the purpose.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Its not meaningless considering the Nuclear reactor they are having trouble with are reactors that require outside power to cool themselves down, and if the explosion in one of those reactors is any sign of whats going on they need all the power off the grid they can spare for cooling purposes once they get the plant back up on the grid..... I think thats a pretty close link. There even shipping outside generators and batteries.

Turn off your power to kill the angle

Turn off your power to help cool the nuclear reactor

Explosion
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

The type of cooling system in trouble
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20110311/ts_csm/369146
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Its not meaningless considering the Nuclear reactor they are having trouble with are reactors that require outside power to cool themselves down, and if the explosion in one of those reactors is any sign of whats going on they need all the power off the grid they can spare for cooling purposes once they get the plant back up on the grid..... I think thats a pretty close link. There even shipping outside generators and batteries.

Turn off your power to kill the angle

Turn off your power to help cool the nuclear reactor

Explosion
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

The type of cooling system in trouble
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20110311/ts_csm/369146
Except that reactor was already shutdown by auto failsafe controls when the first shock hit, and still is, so there isn't any draw on those plants that a power reduction would affect. If anything it will help to reduce the extra strain on the other power plants that have taken up the extra load, when these came off line. Wink
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
But the heat doesn't vanish immediately after shut-down.

If the decay-heat isn't cooled down then that could lead to a Very Bad Thing. That's why it's so important to fly power sources to the reactor so they can get its cooling system operational.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
But the heat doesn't vanish immediately after shut-down.

If the decay-heat isn't cooled down then that could lead to a Very Bad Thing. That's why it's so important to fly power sources to the reactor so they can get its cooling system operational.
Correct, and this is happening as we type. It 's running on batteries at the moment and that is what they are "flying" to it, feresh batteries, also trying to get those diesel genny's working again too. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2