• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Sample Entries and Posting Links

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:03 pm Reply with quote
We at ANN highly appreciate those who have contributed to keeping the Encyclopedia up-to-date and accurate as possible. However, there have been a few who have abused their submission privileges simply to spam the Encyclopedia. Two key points of discussion on this topic are sample entries and links.

I. Sample Entries
Under Episode Titles, Opening Theme and Ending Theme, there are sample entries to give members an idea of how to properly post their entries. Members MUST NOT, under all circumstances, copy and paste the sample entries and submit them on the Encyclopedia. Doing so will result in an immediate ban from ANN.

II. Official Website/Links
Official website submissions must be directly related to the anime title and hosted by the official production companies. Links submissions (which focus on unofficial fansites) must also be directly related to the anime title. Anyone posting links to fansubs or scanlations will be banned without question.

In addition, links to anime bootleg companies or other retailers are absolutely not allowed. For instance, if you just bought Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence on DVD from Amazon Japan, don't even think about posting the link to the sale as an Official Site.

If you find any entries that directly violate the guidelines, submit an error report and the moderating crew will deal with the errors as soon as possible.

Last edited by areaseven on Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Vekou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:39 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
In addition, links to [This URL is a known Bootlegging website] or other retailers are absolutely not allowed. For instance, if you just bought Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence on DVD from Amazon Japan, don't even think about posting the link to the sale as an Official Site.

Heh. I reported that one about a month ago. I was reading down the page and I noticed, in all capital letters, an "official site" titled "I BOUGHT THE DVD ON AMAZON JAPAN!!!!!!!". I guess their heart was in the right place, but their head was up their...
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of sample entries, is there a way to prevent would-be Spammers from entering the following information? I'm getting tired of people committing the same violations everyday.

Quote:
Episode Titles
009. The ninth episode out of 100 EDITED: 07. The seventh episode out of 98 because 2 episodes were cut
15. Usagi Upset! Rei-chan's First Date JP: Usagi aseru! Rei-chan hatsu date EDITED: 12. An Unnatural Phenomena
019. (1997-08-05) Menokurage Dokukurage JP: Menokurage Dokukurage EDITED: 018. (1998-10-01) Tentacool and Tentacruel
038. (1997-12-16) Electric Soldier Porygon JP: Dennou Senshi Porigon REM: This is the infamous seizure episode

Volumes
#1. Falling from the Sky

Opening Themes
#2: "Hesitation" by Megumi Hayashibara (eps 2-6)

Ending Themes
#2: "Fly Me to the Moon" by Megumi Hayashibara
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Addendum: Quizilla Links

What is Quizilla? It's a website that enables you to make your own multiple-choice trivia based on your hobbies and favorites. Anime fans use Quizilla to make personality tests to determine which characters best suit whoever takes them.

While they're anime-related, Quizilla links provide practically zero information on specific anime titles. Therefore, posting Quizilla links on the Encyclopedia is highly discouraged. Besides, most people have better things to do than trying to figure out which Uninhabited Planet Survive character they are. Isn't that right, chris keck?
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Addendum: You Tube

Lately, there's been a craze over You Tube, a website that hosts streaming videos of just about anything, including anime. Many anime titles on You Tube are fansubs. And even if several other featured anime titles are already licensed, the licensors do not authorize nor endorse their broadcast through You Tube.

In short, You Tube links are treated in the same manner as fansub, scanlation and bootleg links - they will be taken down immediately and the user responsible for the entries will be banned from the Encyclopedia.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:31 am Reply with quote
Addendum: Naruto and Bleach Links

With the vast popularity of Naruto and Bleach, it's no surprise that fansites are sprouting by the dozens, if not hundreds. However, many of these fansites contain illegal download links. Despite the fact that the two titles have been licensed, the people in charge of the fansites continue to violate copyright laws by posting newer episodes or volumes.

With that in mind, the following fansites are banned from the Encyclopedia:

Naruto
Naruto Chaos
Naruto Chuushin
Naruto Community
NarutoFan
Naruto Island
Naruto-Kun
Naruto Mania
Naruto World

Bleach
Bleach 7
Bleach Exile
Bleach Insainity
Bleach Portal
BleachTV
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Addendum: Parody and Hate Pages

Under no circumstances are you allowed to post parody sites or links aimed at deriding the credibility of an anime/manga title, staff or cast member, or production company. Many people in the anime and entertainment industry frequent this site at a daily basis, and the last thing ANN needs is bad PR because GATSU thought it was funny to post links to anti-Quentin Tarantino sites or Newgrounds games where you have Golgo 13 assassinate certain celebrities.

Such links are tantamount to an immediate ban from the Encyclopedia. No questions asked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1