• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Satoshi Kon Book Adds Message by Black Swan's Aronofsky

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
I believe the director's name is Darren Aronofsky...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Aronofsky
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote
Not sure why teh director would do that. He basically told the press that he received no inspiration from Kon when making Black Swan. I lost all respect for that director when he did that, particularly with Kon passing away just a few months prior.
fightbait

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not sure why teh director would do that. He basically told the press that he received no inspiration from Kon when making Black Swan. I lost all respect for that director when he did that, particularly with Kon passing away just a few months prior.

That's a bit extreme. Maybe he wasn't inspired by Kon to make Black Swan. That isn't a bad thing. Would you rather he lie about it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
Considering his use of Mima's bath scene in Requiem for a Dream, I simply don't see that as a possibility. He wanted his movie to win awards, and he didn't want to give credit to his inspiration, so as to make it seem more original.

Had he not previously used Kon's material (not plagiarism though, he actually bought the rights to copy that scene), then I would not be so skeptical.

I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, as this kind of thing happens in Hollywood all the time. It just typically doesn't involve anime.

For the record, I've seen Black Swan. It's a great movie. It stands on its own. However, to deny any inspiration that was taken from Perfect Blue is pretty cold. It was blatant to me, although that's because I've seen Perfect Blue so many times, as it's one of my favorite animated movies.
shirow1160

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
Black Swan was a flaming turd. Satoshi Kon was the best. This hollywood crap is just lame.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's always funny to see people deny clear influence in their work (when it's not being a complete rip off otherwise)
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Great to see everyone here's a mind-reader who completely knows Aronofsky's intentions and thought process Rolling Eyes

Didn't Brian already go over this in an Answerman a while back?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

Indeed he did.

Answerman wrote:
I don't doubt that Perfect Blue had an influence on Black Swan, but I think it's a much more subtle influence than the premise might suggest.

Something like that is all Aronofsky would have had to say. That he wasn't outright inspired by Perfect Blue, but rather some themes from it perhaps subtly seeped into the work.

Something of that nature would have been perfectly fine to say. However, not giving a single iota of credit to Kon and denying his influence mere months after his much-too-soon passing really rubs me the wrong way.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Indeed he did.

Answerman wrote:
I don't doubt that Perfect Blue had an influence on Black Swan, but I think it's a much more subtle influence than the premise might suggest.

Something like that is all Aronofsky would have had to say. That he wasn't outright inspired by Perfect Blue, but rather some themes from it perhaps subtly seeped into the work.

Something of that nature would have been perfectly fine to say. However, not giving a single iota of credit to Kon mere months after his much-too-soon passing really rubs me the wrong way.

And it's nothing at all to get worked up about/

Really, I think this is all just more fandom BS where people claim fault from the "evil money-grubbing Hollywood" towards their own "Glorious Nippon".

And honestly, I think dragging all this into such a topic meant to commemorate Kon's memory is an even bigger slight against him then whatever percieved one Aronofsky supposedly did.

And Black Swan was a better film than Paprika (Kon's weakest effort in my opinion).

Yeah, I went there
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Indeed he did.

Answerman wrote:

Something of that nature would have been perfectly fine to say. However, not giving a single iota of credit to Kon mere months after his much-too-soon passing really rubs me the wrong way.

Really, I think this is all just more fandom BS where people claim fault from the "evil money-grubbing Hollywood" towards their own "Glorious Nippon".

And honestly, I think dragging all this into such a topic meant to commemorate Kon's memory is an even bigger slight against him then whatever percieved one Aronofsky supposedly did.

And Black Swan was a better film than Paprika (Kon's weakest effort in my opinion).

Yeah, I went there

Um, Inception is the Paprika rip off, Black Swan is the Perfect Blue rip off. Wink Just FYI
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Indeed he did.

Answerman wrote:

Yeah, I went there

Um, Inception is the Paprika rip off, Black Swan is the Perfect Blue rip off. Wink Just FYI

Well aware of that, I'm just drawing distinctions between the last released works of Kon/Aronofsky.

Inception was also better than Paprika, for the record.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh for [BRRRRRM]'s sake. Even in a thread about a book memorializing a great director like Satoshi Kon these blind anime fans are playing the old tired "huur duur Hollywood sucks, animu is amazing" card? Really? Also if anyone thinks Aronofsky is a Hollywood insider, they're talking out of their bum hole.

Even Nolan wasn't really big in Hollywood until recently with the success of Dark Knight. And if anything seeing an outsider like Nolan get a seat within Hollywood should be a good thing. We should applaud directors like him and Aronofsky along with Kon. We shouldn't be drawing lines in the sand based on country. If we do draw lines, they're on the same side as Kon.

As much as I love them, Paprika nor Inception is far far from the first movie about diving into someone dream states. If you think Inception ripped off Paprika, then you need to watch or at least learn a ton more about film and storytelling. Pull your head out of your butt, or whatever Japanese name you're calling your butt, and wake the heck up. Heck, I wish Nolan had put in inception some of the more psychedelic and imaginative imagery Kon had used for his dream states. David freaking Lynch has done proper dream states closer to that.

Even with Perfect Blue and Black Swan there's a pretty damn big different. In particular, Mima spoiler[wasn't the psychopath trying to kill herself]. There are a number of other thrillers about celebrities and obsession, of their own or their fans. I hate to break it to you,Perfect Blue isn't a lone flower in the field. It is unique and stands out with Kon's vision, but it's not alone in the genre. By calling out any film with a similar setting, you take away from Kon's brilliant film. It's like a close minded Trekkie having a fit any time some new show comes out and is set aboard a star ship.

Oh. And if anyone says Joss Whedon ripped off Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, do everyone a favor and slap yourself in the face. This is just more of that same crap. Stop it. Just stop it.
Shenl742 wrote:
Inception was also better than Paprika, for the record.
Eh. Paprika did some things better. Inception did other things better. Both were fantastic films.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Oh for [BRRRRRM]'s sake. Even in a thread about a book memorializing a great director like Satoshi Kon these blind anime fans are playing the old tired "huur duur Hollywood sucks, animu is amazing" card? Really?

Anime-hating anime fans seem to be all the new rage around here. It's like you can't prefer anime without being called out or something.

And it's more of the fact of not paying respect to the people you've been 'inspired' by. It's the Irate Gamer Philosophy that annoys people.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
Bah, Paprika and Inception BOTH ripped off Dreamscape, obviously Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
Oh for [BRRRRRM]'s sake. Even in a thread about a book memorializing a great director like Satoshi Kon these blind anime fans are playing the old tired "huur duur Hollywood sucks, animu is amazing" card? Really?

Anime-hating anime fans seem to be all the new rage around here. It's like you can't prefer anime without being called out or something.

"Preferring anime" is different from being ludicrously partisan. People who treat anime like it's a political cause and are willing to trash an auteur like Aronofsky because of some perceived sleight are, in my opinion, only closing themselves off to how much great stuff there is out there.

Anime directors lift themes, stories, characters and even shots from classic American movies all the time, but the same people who are whining about this never seem to notice or care about any of that.

Film, like every other creative medium, is a big melting pot, and focusing so much on "I SAW THIS KINDA THING WELL MAYBE NOT EXACTLY THIS BUT SORTA THIS THING KINDA IN AN ANIME BEFORE I SAW IT IN THIS MOVIE EFF YOU HOLLYWOOD STEALIN FROM ANIME" isn't an actually criticism, it's a disingenuous smokescreen that allows partisan weirdos to keep the "anime >>>>> every other form of entertainment" argument rolling along. I never get the sense that these people actually sat down and watched any of the films they're screaming about and then thoughtfully analyzed and criticized them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4