• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Legend(s) Reborn

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And then you have companies like Seven Seas, which has (smartly, I think) decided to focus more towards digital distribution. Oh, hey, that's another problem - digital distribution! Now that's a good way to distribute smaller titles directly to the fans, but without the nasty printing and shipping costs. No overhead! Yippee!

I'm not saying Seven Seas shouldn't pursue digital distribution for people who like reading manga that way, but there are at least a few us older fans who are physical media luddites who have no interest in reading manga if it's not printed on paper in a bound volume, so, if Seven Seas (or any other publisher) go digital-only for niche titles, a certain subset of the domestic manga fanbase will be frozen out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Nevermind me. Move along. Razz

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I was perfectly ready to give into the majesty of Honneamise...until the attempted rape scene. It's almost amazing how a less than a minute sequence can ruin an entire two-hour film. I don't think that's ever happened to me before...

I DID give into the majesty of Cowboy Bebop for awhile...until I grew older and realised that almost half of it's episodes are, in my opinion, pretty crappy.

I don't think adaptations of properties are a bad thing, as long as it's something legitamate and has real talent behind it, rather than just being a quick multimedia cash grap. I think Gankutsuou: The Count of the Monte Cristo is one of the best examples.

Last edited by Shenl742 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And then you have companies like Seven Seas, which has (smartly, I think) decided to focus more towards digital distribution. Oh, hey, that's another problem - digital distribution! Now that's a good way to distribute smaller titles directly to the fans, but without the nasty printing and shipping costs. No overhead! Yippee!

While I do do read a few manga scans online and on my desktop, I do not like reading manga on a screen that much. I just enjoy having the book in my hands. Now saying that I won't stop buying manga if it goes all digital, I just may be less inclined to buy them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I do not like reading manga on a screen that much. I just enjoy having the book in my hands. Now saying that I won't stop buying manga if it goes all digital, I just may be less inclined to buy them.

I think the presumption is that, if you're buying manga digitally, it'll be for an e-reader, which has a screen that reflects light like paper, not on a regular computer screen.

Not that I have any interest in reading manga on anything other than paper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
I do not like reading manga on a screen that much. I just enjoy having the book in my hands. Now saying that I won't stop buying manga if it goes all digital, I just may be less inclined to buy them.

I think the presumption is that, if you're buying manga digitally, it'll be for an e-reader, which has a screen that reflects light like paper, not on a regular computer screen.

Not that I have any interest in reading manga on anything other than paper.

Don't have an e-reader have no interest in them. It could be for an e-reader, or a PC. Who knows it could be both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
For anime I would appreciate it if there were a proper conclusion for The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Amatsuki, Juuni Kokuki, Fruits Basket – not that the boring main couple interests me, I want to see Shigure and Akito. Unfortunately, this series would need a remake. A proper adaptation of RG Veda would be nice as well.

For manga I would be pleased to see a proper conclusion for Nana. I hope that Ai Yazawa is doing well and someday she will be able to end it.
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I was perfectly ready to give into the majesty of Honneamise...until the attempted rape scene. It's almost amazing how a less than a minute sequence can ruin an entire two-hour film. I don't think that's ever happened to me before...

I DID give into the majesty of Cowboy Bebop for awhile...until I grew older and realised that almost half of it's episodes are, in my opinion, pretty crappy.

I don't think adaptations of properties are a bad thing, as long as it's something legitamate and has real talent behind it, rather than just being a quick multimedia cash grap. I think Gankutsuou: The Count of the Monte Cristo is one of the best examples.

True.

Also, inb4 someone mentions that Howl's Moving Castle is an adaptation of a British novel - oh, but the guy who sent the e-mail mentioned that one too!
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Answerfan is easy...His and Her Circumstances. My god, I'm never going to be able to deal with the non-ending.

Oh, and...

See you at the party, Richter!
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe there's a Howl's Moving Castle sequel I'm unaware of that's ripe for the big screen,
the author actually wrote two followups to the novel version of Howl's Moving Castle before she died. the first being Castle in the Air and the second House of Many Ways, but they both rely on the book canon to work as sequels and would take lots of retooling to be turned into sequels for the film version.
Starre257

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The sequel to Howl's Moving Castle is one of the most amazing books I have ever read. I'd recommend reading the first one first, even if you've seen the movie ten thousand times. The movie changed a lot from the book... (as someone posted as I was writing this.)

There's also a third one.

I would hate to see either of those made into an anime, though, because I didn't really like what was done with the first one, and I doubt anyone would want to reboot the whole thing.

As I've mentioned before, though, I would love to see the novel series Cirque du Freak (or The Saga of Darren Shan) adapted into an anime. There was a manga of it in Japan that's getting released in English by Yen Press now (up to vol. 9, which just came out). There's already been a movie of it, though, and it wasn't very good... as unlikely as an anime of that series is, I already have a list of voice actors I would want to have in it.

Also I'd love to see an anime of the 28 volume 1990's shoujo manga Red River, but an anime of a 28 volume 1990's shoujo manga is about as likely as a Cirque du Freak anime... *sigh*[/url]

Last edited by Starre257 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's a shame that even streaming is ending up like most of the anime DVD industry over here nowadays. You'd think that streaming would be a great way to let older titles get a chance to shine even a little since the licensing costs probably aren't quite as much as licensing for home video release, but it does look like the general feeling of "no one wants to watch older anime" seeps into the streaming mentality as well.

I also agree that the newer fans aren't exactly "anti-older anime", but rather they aren't going to be willing to search places like eBay and Amazon for these older titles on DVD (or, god help them, VHS or LD), especially when they can easily watch other titles easily online via streaming or by simply buying the newest releases. Streaming older anime would make it easier to for these people to check them out, but I think it's more that none of the places that stream anime are willing to risk as much as they used to. They'd rather stick with the usual Catch 22 that exists than try to break out of it and actually try something "new" with older animes. It might just be a side-effect of the bubble bursting than anything: If trying new things often helped lead to everything going wrong then why bother trying again, even when you have more knowledge about how to handle it?
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
For manga I would be pleased to see a proper conclusion for Nana. I hope that Ai Yazawa is doing well and someday she will be able to end it.

Very much seconded. Then after the manga is finished, they can start work on that second series of the anime...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Another barrier to newer fans' appreciation of older anime is a half-technical, half-mental issue: aspect ratio. With most older anime being 4:3 (16:9 TV anime were still a minority until 2006), and most people's screens being 16:9, you get people whinging about not wanting to see vertical black bars of neutral nothingness. They might otherwise find a particular series appealing, but they can't get over the pillarboxing.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I tried to read a page of Finnegan's Wake once. That did not work out very well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5