• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NISA Anime Industry Panel

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
:<

Quote:
with roughly a quarter of the room full

Sad. Oh well. At least I can look forward to snagging Katanagatari whenever they release it.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just saw the price, episode count, episode length. Fuuuuuuuuuck that shit.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mitsu then explained that he understood that NIS's prices were high, but he felt justified in the amount of value they've added to the product, and that they needed to “be responsible” with their business model by not adding English dubs, which would need to be funded by their video game revenue.

I can dig that. I have no problem with that.

However, why are their standard editions still $45-$50 and still split by cour? They're essentially rereleases, but are still fairly expensive and still split. That's absurd, NISA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
EDIT: Nevermind. Just saw the price, episode count, episode length. Fuuuuuuuuuck that shit.

You're getting six episodes, 50 minutes each, which is at least equivalent to a 13 episode half series set. It'll MRSP for $70 which is no more than what S23 sells it's 13 episode sets for and only a bit more than Funimation. Plus, unlike either of those two, NISA gives you a fancy collector's box and artbook. WTF would it take to please you?
Rolling Eyes
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
You apparently forgot that these are sub-only....
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
John Casey wrote:

You're getting six episodes, 50 minutes each, which is at least equivalent to a 13 episode half series set. It'll MRSP for $70 which is no more than what S23 sells it's 13 episode sets for and only a bit more than Funimation. Plus, unlike either of those two, NISA gives you a fancy collector's box and artbook. WTF would it take to please you?
Rolling Eyes

He is a whiny bitch. Unless all releases follow Funimation's business model he is going to rant about his personal value system.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Did you forget they're DVD/BD combos?

And nowadays, Funimation does give you an art box. Maybe not a book, but it does give you an art box. And one that actually fits on your shelf, too!

Last edited by The King of Harts on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Yo, JC. Looks like you got problems with more peepz than I thought, man. Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

Oh. You're one of those people. Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one asked them why they thought their Go Nagai property would sell at the prices they charge, when his other stuff only does well with a niche segment of fans.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
John Casey wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Worth it to me. I have really liked the NIS sets so far, my only complaint being the size of the boxes makes shelving a problem.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:

*sigh* These types of people truly have become more annoying than the sub-elitists... Rolling Eyes
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
John Casey wrote:

*sigh* These types of people truly have become more annoying than the sub-elitists... Rolling Eyes

You should probably be grateful they didn't add a dub, guys. Have you played their games? It's a good thing there's a Japanese audio option, because the dubbing is TER-RIB-BLE. I'm just proud of NIS for doing such a good job translating (unlike in many of their games where they add lines or cut things out).

Katanagatari... I was disappointed that it would only come with the first 6, but if you think about it, it does have 6 near-hour long episodes, both DVD AND Blu-Ray (give the DVD's to your friend...?), and the special features (book, box, creditless). It's actually a pretty good deal.

And sub-fanatics aren't that bad. We just don't like bad translations and voices. And nothing beats the original (although it's kind of fun to see what people do for their English version).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Um ... I am reading the article correctly, aren't I? NISA is releasing Kimi ni Todoke? Yes?

Funi who? Sentai what? NISA just ascended to Godliness in my books. Based on what they've released in the past this title makes a ton of sense for them and I will be buying the shit out of it.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
And nothing beats the original (although it's kind of fun to see what people do for their English version).
Uh, not quite. There's a good number of dubs out their superior to their sub counterparts.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
KIMI NI TODOKE Smile Smile
I know NIS releases are really expensive but I love my copy of toradora, and the amount of qaulity that their releases are.
I will be picking up katanagitari
I am praying for a bang zoom dub of toradora. though I am worried about the slow transition to a normal release from the premium releases.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3