• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - A Certain Motorcycling Duelist

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siliva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Despite its faults, I like the Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's manga. In a situation where duels pretty much have to overtake story in levels of importance, it does an okay job. It's always duelduelduelduel-plot-duelduelduelduel and the GX manga has the same problem (though GX fared a little better IMO)

Masashi Sato's artwork is probably the weakest of Takahashi's assistants though. YGO manga has never had Takeshi Obata-level backgrounds or anything, but I'm sure we can do better than speedlines everywhere. Mr. Sato's mentioned that he didn't have any assistants helping him out, which could attribute to that.

The anime does everyone's characterization a little more justice, until the series jumped the shark in the third season of course.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow Novik is writing for a manga now? I wonder if Temeraire will get one too down the line. Now that would be something.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd personally bump up Railgun's review grade by a letter, just due to the fact that we even have it here in the U.S. to begin with. (A big thank you to Seven Seas for that.) If you're familiar with the anime, you see the manga follows portions of it quite closely. Knowing the story from the anime beforehand allowed me to cut the manga some slack since I was already aware of what was going on.

And regardless of that, it was a fun read. The interactions between Misaka and Kuroko are a hoot. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the show.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Eyeshield 21 got a good review. I enjoy that series, and I am glad that Viz seems to actually want to finish it.

As for 5D's, I really like the anime, so I may check out the manga.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I read the first volume of Temeraire, and it wasn't that impressive. I probably wouldn't care for Novik's superhero graphic novel.

Nice to see Eyeshield 21 get reviewed. I may try to pick it up again.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out how someone goes from writing historical fiction dealing with dragons in the Napoleonic Wars (which still has a few books to go!) to writing what sounds like a pretty generic story about a school of superheroes. If that's not switching genres I don't know what is....
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I am really dying to find Railgun in a bookstore so I can check it out firsthand, since the print and translation quality are what concern me the most.

Having read much of the series online already (Yes, I admit it. I'm sorry up to a point these days, as I have developed a personal system I believe works well enough on the moral-scale) I know the cons brought up in this review are addressed in due course, so I'm determined to support this series... just as long as the aforementioned aspects are handled well. That hasn't been any real problem in the past when it comes to SS, so I'm very hopeful.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
I still don't understand why the Yugioh manga are popular. I enjoy the anime because of the action and animation added to the monsters. Reading the cards and only seeing pictures of the monsters sounds so boring. I would rather play the game at that point, especially since the duels in the series are dramatized. They will always get the right card at the right moment.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:46 am Reply with quote
I think Railgun starts off a bit disjointed, but as the series goes on it gets better. Also I like Railgun, both the manga and anime better than Index. I just like the characters and story more than Index.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Nice to see Eyeshield 21 get reviewed. I may try to pick it up again.

I'm not sure where you are/were up to, but volume 9 is pretty scarce...I started buying the series around this time last year and it seemed pretty much outta print. Good luck finding them though, Eyeshield 21 is the BEST!

When I read the back cover section for Grand Guignol Orchestra I thought 'ooohhh sounds interesting!'. Then I realised it was by Kaori Yuki and I remembered Angel Santuary and was like '...maybe I shouldn't give this one a chance...' Anime hyper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
I'd personally bump up Railgun's review grade by a letter, just due to the fact that we even have it here in the U.S. to begin with. (A big thank you to Seven Seas for that.) If you're familiar with the anime, you see the manga follows portions of it quite closely. Knowing the story from the anime beforehand allowed me to cut the manga some slack since I was already aware of what was going on.

And regardless of that, it was a fun read. The interactions between Misaka and Kuroko are a hoot. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the show.

Thank you for the positive thoughts about this series. After reading the review I questioned if I really wanted to buy this one. But I have already heard some good reviews of the title from friends, and now I think I will go ahead and get it.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
That review of Grand Guignol Orchestra is spot on. I want to like it far better than I do, because the art is so pretty and I love some of Kaori Yuki's earlier work (cough*Neji* *Blood Hound* *Boys Next Door* cough Viz) but I can barely remember who the characters are half the time...
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I could see myself buying and very much enjoying Liberty Vocational, though as general rule I'm wary of books where the author's name is in a larger font than the book's title.
Xagor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I still don't understand why the Yugioh manga are popular. I enjoy the anime because of the action and animation added to the monsters. Reading the cards and only seeing pictures of the monsters sounds so boring. I would rather play the game at that point, especially since the duels in the series are dramatized. They will always get the right card at the right moment.

Well one of the reason the manga still sells well in the West is the free card that comes with it. I know plenty of people who just buy it for that.
N.R.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Can someone please explain to me something about this new GITS manga? Is this is a manga version of the GITS:SAC anime, or a new manga?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2