• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chocolate Bund Cake

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I can't even begin to express my jealously over that manga collection and furthermore, the awesome shelving situation.

I hate to say I had the same type of reaction to Dance in the Vampire Bund. I knew what it was like and tried to have an open mind but I was still creeped out Sad
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't realized G.E. 3-9 was on DVD now. I may have to pick that up. I enjoyed it a lot more than the much more recent Galaxy Railways. I saw it back when SyFy was SciFi and had their late night anime airings and I recorded things on VHS. Anyone remember those days? Galaxy Express 999 has held up a lot better than some other '70s anime so it's definitely time to upgrade my recorded VHS copy to a DVD.

Also, that is an impressive amount of manga.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I can't say that agree much with Erin about Dance in the Vampire Bund except that it looks good on BD. I found nothing creepy about the nudity, then again I do not have much of a problem with sexualized minors (I am a pretty messed up person I know.)

Nice shelves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Erin Finnegan wrote:
Every time I hear the title Dance in the Vampire Bund, I first think of the word bung, and then of delicious bundt cake. Surely someone has made a vampire themed bundt cake by now, with raspberry syrup on top or inside…

Vampire-themed bundt cake aside, didn't Zac Bertschy say the same, exact thing when he first heard of the title as he mentioned on that episode of ANNCast where he talked about the editing/free speech complains with that show? And that was over a year ago.

Quote:
I'm neutral towards vampires and werewolves

If you've ever seen any of the Twilight films (I'll admit I haven't seen them myself), was your reaction, "Vampires and werewolves, huh? ....Eh."

Last edited by Hypeathon on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleased to see Galaxy Express 999 mentioned and ranked as Shelf-Worthy, no less. I got my copy last Monday and loved the Hell out of watching it (I also can't seem to shut up about here). I haven't felt so good watching anything in a long time. I had watched it on The Sci-Fi Channel some time in the nineties, so it's part of my 'foundation' when it comes to anime. Of course, then so is Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight, but I wouldn't watch that again unless it came in a gift basket with a fifth of cask strength scotch and some very dark cigars.

I'm half sheepish to admit so, but Maetel was and is my favorite thing about the film. I always seemed to be drawn to supporting casts, not that I minded Tetsuro, but she is beguiling in her melancholy. Her maternal role is further accentuated if one prefers to romanize her name as Maeter (I don't, but it is valid). My second favorite thing is probably its melancholy tone, which I think that you characterized very well. In third place would be the anachronistic technology. Not just the train, but also the Queen Emeraldas, which appears to be an eighteenth century first rate strapped to a dirigible.

I was caught off guard by the shower scene. I suspect that The Sci-Fi Channel might have cut that, among other things, back when they aired it. What's really odd is how subdued Tetsuro's reaction to it is. There was no nosebleed or frantic denial of having seen anything or nothin'. That was actually oddly refreshing. The absence of overt moralizing over revenge being bad, was another refreshing change of pace. Further bonus points for nobody giving Tetsuro a, "if you kill him, you're as bad as he is," speech. I hate those.

My favorite planet is Saturn (not visited in the film), but the Pluto scenes from Galaxy Express 999 are perhaps my favorite part. They had an enchanting melancholy to them and Shadow was damned unnerving; enough so that I remembered her for the thirteen or fourteen years since I saw the film last.

I enjoyed the English dub greatly, especially Katheen Barr as Maetel. It was also cool to hear Scott McNeil show up. There's something somehow so fitting about voice of Dinobot as Captain Harlock.

I predict that you will like Adieu, Galaxy Express 999 less well than the first film. It isn't bad, but is almost too similar to the first in a lot of ways and is harsher in a way that isn't quite welcome. (I'll go so far as to lay down not-really-money on it being consigned to the rental shelf)

There, I've gushed over one of my memories of yesteryear being happily vindicated, so I guess we can spend the rest of this thread kvetching about Dance in the Vampire Bund.

When I hear Bund I think of... German federalism. I have very dull interests.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If that were the plot of a Hollywood live action movie coming out this summer, would you not see it?

It's almost one. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Notice I said an old submarine (granted, I've never been inside a new submarine, I've only been in submarines that were museums).

Does that Disneyland ride count? Confused

Quote:
Somehow in this DVD version, the glowing windows and control panels don't look horribly dated.

Probably 'cus they retouched the print for home video.

Quote:
Every time I see Maetel and Tetsuro's interactions, I just think that Matsumoto must have some serious mother issues.

The show does get into some serious quasi-shota moments at times. But I imagine Tetsuro's too young to "get" why he's the luckiest kid evar.

Quote:
but admittedly it's hard to get excited about something that's kinda slow paced and episodic.

Yeah, I just finished it about a couple weeks before the movie DVDs got released. It's not something you can marathon. And I won't deny there's a lot of pointless eps in the show which keep me from caring about it getting an R1 release. They're usually the hippy tie-dyed alien ones, too. But for the most part, once you've actually seen the show, the movie just seems like a cheap imitation with some catchy tunes.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Leiji Matsumoto's work has never clicked with me. I wish it did, because I keep reading wonderful things about it. Maybe I'll give Galaxy Express 999 a shot. It's not too expensive and is only 128 minutes...

Quote:
That said, I am totally against Mina attending Akira's school. She's already plenty educated, and just wants to go to the school because, as we've learned from watching anime, that's the most romantic thing you can do with your crush, whether you're an alien or a robot or a vampire princess.

This scenario is one of my pet peeve's too. Or even worse, when the character's life is in danger and he/she still attends school. I know school is a great place to move the plot along, but still...
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I'm pleased to see Galaxy Express 999 mentioned and ranked as Shelf-Worthy, no less. I got my copy last Monday and loved the Hell out of watching it. I haven't felt so good watching anything in a long time. I had watched it on The Sci-Fi Channel some time in the nineties,

Oh I saw it first on the Sci-Fi Channel too! Anyone else remember Apollo Smile? Laughing

I haven't seen that much of Bund, but you know what one of my issues with it is? That it's trying to make the whole, "I'm a 100+ year old in the body of a 10 year old!" all fun and sexy...didn't Interview with the vampire spear that and showed how much that would suck years ago? Hell, didn't Shiki do that last year?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching the TV series of Galaxy Express 999 myself, so I have to ask you a little more about the character of Tetsuro. In the TV series, I quickly got tired of the dissonance around him: Tetsuro would show no remorse over killing other people (they may be cyborgs, but they're fully sentient, which makes them people) and Maetel would tell him he was a sweet, kindhearted boy. He wasn't. He was really screwed up, and I think I would've been okay with that if she didn't claim otherwise every episode.

So... what was his character like in the movie? You say "sad," but beyond that?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Hell, didn't Shiki do that last year?

Considering that Sunako wasn't sexualized in any possibly way... I'm going to go with no.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
This scenario is one of my pet peeve's too. Or even worse, when the character's life is in danger and he/she still attends school. I know school is a great place to move the plot along, but still...

Not only that but how can you be centuries old and not know how to cook at all? I mean, that's just....... being f****** lazy with your life.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I completely forget what was in the review, too busy drooling over that Hime figure...and Flandre. Huga.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Hell, didn't Shiki do that last year?

Considering that Sunako wasn't sexualized in any possibly way... I'm going to go with no.

No, but it did show that being a young girl vampire isn't fun or appealing in anyway, although she seems to spend a good deal of the series trying to convince herself that it is.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

Not only that but how can you be centuries old and not know how to cook at all? I mean, that's just....... being f****** lazy with your life.

She is a vampire so eating normal food let alone cooking normal food is not something she does since vampires would not be able to taste it.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I love me some GE999 movie! I didn't know they were out on DVD! Next stop, Amazon!

I, too, tried to watch the series but... well, I saw the movies first, and the difference in Tetsuro's character design was very jarring. A little TOO Matsumoto for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6