• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: 'Next Season' of Code Geass Aimed for 2012

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
its director is Kazuki Akane (The Vision of Escaflowne, Noein - to your other self).

Also directed both of seasons Birdy Decode and Heat Guy J. Well, the chances of this not being as bad as R2 are pretty good, but who's writing it? If the auteur theory is true, then this should at least have some neat and unique style to it.

Quote:
Apart from Akane, the credits include Shigeru Morita (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, Blood+)

Not to so good.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Also directed both of seasons Birdy Decode and Heat Guy J. Well, the chances of this not being as bad as R2 are pretty good, but who's writing it? If the auteur theory is true, then this should at least have some neat and unique style to it.

I'm relatively optimistic about it because I'd like to see how he would handle this fictional universe, particularly since little or nothing was done with Europe during either season and the fact this is just a side story should give Kazuki Akane a certain amount of creative freedom to play around with a number of potentially interesting ideas, as long as the result remains more or less compatible with the rest of the established chronology.

In this case though, I would say a lot also depends on the production environment and external pressures. Code Geass R2's actual problem wasn't a lack of talented or at least experienced staff but trying to serve too many interests at the same time and without enough episodes to do it at a reasonable pace. As a result, we ended up with a mess that included some good moments, in my opinion, but also a lot of bad or mishandled scenes that would have required more explanations or attention to detail. If you have to rush, that's usually very hard to accomplish.

Quote:
Quote:
Apart from Akane, the credits include Shigeru Morita (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, Blood+)

Not to so good.

To be fair, Shigeru Morita merely wrote individual episodes or provided special settings for those specific series. In fact, doing that and working on a couple of manga or light novel adaptations tends to describe the vast majority of his work. It's not like you can turn, say, Seikon no Qwaser into something that's not a blatantly ecchi series if you're given the task of writing seven episodes.

On the bright side, he also worked on Stargazer, which was surprisingly better than some of the worst parts of the Gundam SEED universe despite its unfortunately short length, and also wrote a couple of episodes for Toward the Terra.

It wouldn't really be fair to blame him for their inherent positives or negatives taken as a whole when he usually wasn't the only writer in the staff room, let alone the main one. I'd say those circumstances make it very hard to judge how he would actually deal with a different kind of series where he should presumably have a little more creative freedom, for better or for worse, since he's not adapting something nor working together with other writers in a supporting position.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
grr i rather see if prove "he" is ALIVE?!

or better make new season involve prevent the events of r1 & r2 be non-canno due to time travel etc to prevent it all everyone ok & happy happy ending & all safe.

really i'm still not ok with series how it's still like scar must be "saved" for all generation.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

The side story is set in the European warfront, where a Knightmare unit made of boys and girls from Zone Eleven is sent into a military operation with a 5% chance of survival.

They should call it the 442nd Infantry Regiment:

The 442nd Regimental Combat Team (Japanese: 第442連隊戦闘団) of the United States Army, was an all Japanese American unit. They fought primarily in Europe during World War II, beginning in 1944.[2] The families of many of its soldiers were subject to internment. The 442nd was a self-sufficient fighting force, and fought with uncommon distinction in Italy, southern France, and Germany. The unit became the most highly decorated regiment in the history of the United States armed forces, including 21 Medal of Honor recipients. The motto of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team was “Go for Broke.”

See the parallels? Laughing
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
^^^
Nice find. That Wikipedia article actually makes the overall concept sound like it could be pretty good source material for this kind of production. Of course, I imagine there would be plenty of artistic license and what have you, given the differences in context.

Taking interesting ideas or situations from actual history and using them as inspiration for a fictional story is completely fine by me. Whether or not it works out this time around, I think that sort of thing should be done more often.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Quote:

Not to so good.

I found Gundam Seed to be the best written of Sunrise work over the previous decade. Considering what Sunrise actually made though that's not exactly that hard.

It had some flaws (it shouldn't have tried to hard to be like MSG) but also updated MSG story with some pretty interesting stuff (genetic engineering, corruption of government, revenge)
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:04 am Reply with quote
With Lerouch spoiler[killed how will his sister hand the situation. Confused]
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
With Lerouch killed how will his sister hand the situation. Confused

Lyndon LaRouche is dead? It's a government conspiracy!

Also, the article says nothing about a time frame, simply that it's in the same world. It could be simultaneous with either season, or any time before or after.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:50 am Reply with quote
This article doesn't, but the previous announcement did mention it was set around the same time as the first season (2017).

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-04-22/code-geass-gaiden-bokoku-no-akito-project-announced
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys....use spoiler tags, please? Not everyone has watched this series.

On topic: Yoohoo, Bandai. Please be sure to pick this up next year. Here is my reason:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zero3f

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Is this "new season" about the Gaiden? Not about some new kind of series about Code Geass, right?
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Despite what other people say about R2, I think that the entire series as a whole was very nicely put together and that it had a satisfying end. So as long as this 3rd series doesn't interfere with the ending of the second then I'm all good.

I hate it when companies ruin good things by adding more onto them.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
It's about time that we got an update on how this new Code Geass anime is progressing.

So in the new anime, we will be focusing on Japanese characters working with the rarely seen and mentioned Euro Universe? A good thing because those guys were barely involved in the previous series and they definitely do need the development.

More expansions and explanations on what Geass is, where it came from, and who is the very first Geass user is definitely more welcome in my book.

Plus, I wonder if the fan favorite Knights of the Round characters who hardly got any development and screen time in the previous series like Monica, Nonette and Dorothea will get their overdue development and get their characters expanded here.

Anyways, from what has been gathered, it sounds good and I can't wait to see how a Code Geass series will succeed without Lelouch being the main character.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
On topic: Yoohoo, Bandai. Please be sure to pick this up next year.

Maybe even pair it with the BD release of the first two seasons? Nothing crueler than seeing "HD editor" as a job description in the otherwise untranslated credits and nothing but DVDs as far as the eye can see on our shores.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

I'm relatively optimistic about it because I'd like to see how he would handle this fictional universe, particularly since little or nothing was done with Europe during either season and the fact this is just a side story should give Kazuki Akane a certain amount of creative freedom to play around with a number of potentially interesting ideas, as long as the result remains more or less compatible with the rest of the established chronology.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. Code Geass is my favorite series and I'd so love to see more of it, and this new project seems to have a lot of promise. I'm just worried that it won't feel quite the same as it's predecessors with a new director at the helm.

Rukiia wrote:
Yoohoo, Bandai. Please be sure to pick this up next year. Here is my reason:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2