• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pikachu Lookalike Mascot Costume Abandoned by City

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon has become pretty well known, kind of like Mickey mouse. Just using a mascot suit that is used for non-profit, I don't see any harm there.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Pokemon has become pretty well known, kind of like Mickey mouse. Just using a mascot suit that is used for non-profit, I don't see any harm there.

The harm would really come from the message that people might interpret from them doing nothing. If they didn't do anything this time, somebody else might think it's ok because nothing happened, and eventually you have several groups using your legally protected material for their own purposes. People try to abuse perceived loopholes and gaps all the time, so it's better to be as consistent as possible.

I'd say a fair compromise was worked out. The costume did look very Pokemon-ish, but the drawing seemed fine to me. Dropping the costume, keeping the drawing, and moving on seems like the most civil way for this to go.
Racheldoublemm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The mascot looks like a combination of Gir and Pikachu. I think with a few design changes it would have been fine. Maybe a bit of testing should have been done before actually promoting it.

However, it is positively adorable and a shame that it didn't work out.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
It still looks like Pichu. How these people thought "Oh, it's Pikachu" need to learn up on their Pokemon.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
It looks like a good compromise ended up being made between the two parties.

Seeing the drawing included in this article, it looks different than the one that was posted on MSN Japan last week. The drawing being shown here looks enough different from the Pikachu or Pichu characters that it's much less likely to confuse little kids. The picture of the costume confused my 6-year-old when she saw it last week; her reaction when she saw it was to exclaim, "Pikachu!"

As for the costume, the face definitely looked a lot like Pikachu. Like I said last week, the face on the head of that costume looked eerily similar to my 6-year-old's Pikachu plush toy (the eyes, the cheeks, and even the mouth matched perfectly).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ommadon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
The ears are different shapes, and lack the marked tips. There is evidently no tail. The hands are black. It is not pikachu, it is just a generic rosy-cheeked, cat-mouthed, black-dot-eyed creature. Poke'mon evidently has a copyright on "so easy 5 year-old children can draw this cute thing" characters.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
The costume looks a lot like Pichu... the original character design, not so much. This is a pretty good compromise, methinks. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:

Unlike copyrights, a trademark can be lost if not protected. Nintendo is just protecting its trademark if something is too close. The city and Nintendo could have a fight, or they could make a deal together such that the city gets to keep using the mascot costume, with Nintendo's understanding (since they own the trademark).

ommadon wrote:
The ears are different shapes, and lack the marked tips. There is evidently no tail. The hands are black. It is not pikachu, it is just a generic rosy-cheeked, cat-mouthed, black-dot-eyed creature. Poke'mon evidently has a copyright on "so easy 5 year-old children can draw this cute thing" characters.

That's the hazard with anime/manga using such simplistic faces. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1