• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Girlfriend is Better

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For all of its obvious symbolism and seemingly standard-issue anime influences, there's a genuinely intriguing tale about things rarely approached well in games—and there's a frequently enjoyable puzzle game to go with it.

Sure, but compared to obviousness of Madoka's symbolism, Catherine is Utena-class.
Fantastic description of the game though. J. Price's alcohol trivia delivery is just rich; the Prairie Oyster comments... Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:26 am Reply with quote
PIX NAO PL.Z T.HX
DifferentD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
Thank you for doing such a great review of Catherine.. you really explained the game so well and hit all it's great points Smile
I personally am not a big puzzle game fan usually... I really enjoyed this game!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:38 am Reply with quote
Catherine is such a fresh and unique game. I suggest anyone who plays it takes the hint from the game and answers questions and characters honestly, since it's so much fun to just answer as you want without trying for certain outcomes.

Otaking09 wrote:

Fantastic description of the game though. J. Price's alcohol trivia delivery is just rich; the Prairie Oyster comments... Laughing

I really liked the Prairie Oyster trivia. Now I know what goes into Spike Spiegel's hangover remedy.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:19 am Reply with quote
Err the thing about the Nura/Viz thing seemed a tad off. Viz hasn't even announced their dubbing the thing yet(though streaming numbers would seem to suggest they probably will at some point) so it doesn;t make sense to knock the franchise when it hasn;t really hit the states yet(though the anime is subpar compared to the manga).

As for Catherine, it's certainly an interesting game. I do like how it explores relationships and the like, and you can really sort of understand Vincent's confusion. The puzzles can get really annoying at times though(which is why the undo feature is a blessing) and trying to outrun the stage can get really irritating during certain boss stages. Overall though, the game is a pretty fun experience and worth playing, though I'm not quite at the end yet.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:35 am Reply with quote
Great write-up of Catherine; it's great to see another person who realizes that this game isn't trying
to be blatantly sexual, and instead focus on the character development and unique gameplay concepts.

Also: Great Talking Heads reference in your title.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:41 am Reply with quote
I've been laying off of Catherine lately (trying to slog through SRW Z2...ugh), but I definately liked what I saw. I'm a little more than halfway through the game, I finished chainsaw baby stage, and while the whole "good Katherine and naughty Catherine" ordeal is fun if only for the realization that the choices are classic SMT stuff (which I haven't had a chance to play yet) and it also made me think about relationships and the various emotional impacts it would have on people.

But, like a good little boy, I'm going Mesian route (Katherine.) I'm just way too nice of a guy to go the other way.

Last edited by FaytLein on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting to see such praise for Catherine. I've heard almost nothing but bad about the gameplay. You might have convinced me to give the game a try!
RyougaZell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
Whoever thinks Catherine's gameplay is bad its just because they have the patience of a rock. Do give it a chance.

I played the game in Hard Mode from the start and I had a blast. Managed to Gold each stage and finished the whole game in around 55 hours.

I'm currently hunting the different endings and have clocked around 10 more hours. Definitely getting a Platinum out of this.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Hmm, interesting to see such praise for Catherine. I've heard almost nothing but bad about the gameplay. You might have convinced me to give the game a try!

The game play in Catherine isn't bad, in fact it's very imaginative. And works well in concept with the story line. The problem are the controls. The game requires a lot of going very fast and the controls are just wonky enough to make it kind of annoying. The just don't feel tight in a game where they need to be super tight. But that in the end doesn't detract from the fact that the game is original, innovative, and has an interesting and mature storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm contemplating Devil Survivor. I couldn't get into it on DS, but maybe I should give it another shot. I love SMT and SRPGs so I'm not sure why it didn't click with me.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
RyougaZell wrote:
Whoever thinks Catherine's gameplay is bad its just because they have the patience of a rock. Do give it a chance.

But wouldn't rocks have infinite patience? I've never seen one get bored and do something else...

Razz
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
Catherine is definitely a game not for everybody, but it is ambitious and actually DOES stuff games seem to be hesitant to actually touch upon due to the fact that they have this misaimed idea that games need to be about empowering the player. This is an actual MATURE title that shows a character who truly grows.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
Catherine is certainly a change from the norm. To be honest, I haven't really played many puzzle games recently that have it as it's core game play apart from Puzzle Quest and Portal. While they are fun, there are too many games coming out this fall, so I'm going to pass up on this title until get's a price drop.

Deus EX is looking promising from the game play video's I've seen. I'm going to wait for the reviews on that one before committing as I like waiting to see which system get's the better product.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Nice review of Catherine. It's definitely going to be a game that some will love or hate. It's definitely different. I like that about 'Atlus', they try to do something different. This is pretty different I must say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2