• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Makoto Shinkai

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xBTAx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Shinkai worked for "Falcom", not "Falco". :p

Otherwise, seems like a great interview. 5 Centimeters Per Second is my favorite movie, and I can't wait to see this new one myself. At this rate I'll probably be importing the Japanese BD, since it apparently has English subs...
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
Indeed, an interesting interview. I've been a Shinkai fan for quite a while now, and I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing Hoshi o Ou Kodomo when it is released in North America.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'll be really honest right now. When ADV released Voices back in the day, I picked it up out of sheer curiosity, kind of expecting to see a somewhat decent movie, and once the credit rolled, I was floored. The whole theme of isolationism and communication resonated DEEPLY with me, and I can honestly say that the movie moved me, something few anime can claim to have done. Sad to say, the name Shinkai never really stayed in my memory, and I kind of forgot about him until he was announced at Otakon, with a NEW MOVIE? I was honestly really, really excited (The night before I went, I spent hours searching for my copy of Voices, determined to get it autographed. Sadly, it was not to be.)

I went and saw Hoshi, and again I was moved. (I was sitting directly behind the ANN staff there, and if they looked behind them, they would have see a slightly pudgy nerd doing his level best not to show his tears.) Afterwards, I had flipped through the Otakon programming guide and under Shinkai's entry, I noticed that two other movies were under his belt, and I smacked myself for not having caught them. But when I got home, I happened to discover that I had already bought the two of them, on some wild shopping spree I don't recall. I will be sitting down and finish those off shortly.

And thus ends my loving tale of fanboyism for Mr. Shinkai. He has a lifelong fan in me, and I hope Hoshi only increases his fans. I hope he has a long career ahead of him and I truly wish him success.

(P.S.: To the people who got into the autograph session, I hate you SOOOOOO MUCH!!!! Sad )
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
I hate the people who got the autographs too >.<...along with people who went to otakon in general.

Also, Mimi was in more than just that other movie...

Also cannot wait to see this. I love this man and his works.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
As somebody with a great interest in the subject of this interview, I find it somewhat disappointing that spoilers for Shinkai's latest film were included amongst less revealing questions. Though efforts have been taken to identify such content, it is still somewhat frustrating to have to take caution whilst scrolling through the article for the sake of future narrative enjoyment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the people who asked at the panel if Shinkai would ever create a new work that didn't focus or put attention on romance. Shame ANN didn't put up this question and response. (He said he was thinking about focusing on a work about a character leaving a hometoen and coming back...or something to that extent.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
He's like Barry Manilow of anime. Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
I was one of the people who asked at the panel if Shinkai would ever create a new work that didn't focus or put attention on romance. Shame ANN didn't put up this question and response. (He said he was thinking about focusing on a work about a character leaving a hometoen and coming back...or something to that extent.)

But you just know he would be leaving a childhood sweetheart behind who waits for his return Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I hate the people who got the autographs too >.<...along with people who went to otakon in general.

Also, Mimi was in more than just that other movie...

Also cannot wait to see this. I love this man and his works.

Your hate and disdain is sweet and delicious lol. One of the few advantages to living near Baltimore for me is Otakon. It's close enough I could actually drive every day and not get a hotel if I felt like it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
sfried wrote:

But you just know he would be leaving a childhood sweetheart behind who waits for his return Wink
More like he comes home, but she left to find him months before, and they never see each other again. or she has fallen under the anime amnesia syndrome and doesn't remember who he is anymore, and so has married someone else and had his children. Shinkai can't seem to get over it. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1