• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JManga Site Lists 12 New Titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, the scanlations for Trinity Blood have been wonky for years now (no idea how far TP got in their translations) and the manga is finally approaching where the anime ended, I'll have to look into this!
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I really want to like the whole JManga idea, I really do, (they have a nice selection of titles) but I want to own the manga I'm reading, not just view it only when I'm connected to the Internet. I don't know if they will make it possible to download to own, but here's hoping for future changes to market demands.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
I really want to like the whole JManga idea, I really do, (they have a nice selection of titles) but I want to own the manga I'm reading, not just view it only when I'm connected to the Internet. I don't know if they will make it possible to download to own, but here's hoping for future changes to market demands.

I emailed them about this; they responded:

Quote:
Greetings and thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately at this time, we do not offer DRM-free downloads for purchase, and this is something unlikely to change at the moment. Do feel free to check back with us in the future though.

Sincerely,
JManga Customer Service
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
JohnnySake wrote:

Quote:

Unfortunately at this time, we do not offer DRM-free downloads for purchase, and this is something unlikely to change at the moment. Do feel free to check back with us in the future though.

Sincerely,
JManga Customer Service

Well, then forget them. I want to be able to read my manga however I want, without being restricted by their arbitrary limitations they place on it.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Quote:

Sincerely,
JManga Customer Service

Thanks for the info. I understand their reasoning as to why they have it set up the way they do,(to protect their licenses) but it doesn't mean I have to support them in that offered format. I do wish them well though.
Minatsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed by the selection of titles they are getting (at least I will be when they are actually available), but they seriously need to work on their pricing scheme before I actually buy anything. 899 points is a little too steep for me. I have read some manga on eManga, but none of their volumes cost quite that much.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Thanks for the info. I understand their reasoning as to why they have it set up the way they do,(to protect their licenses) but it doesn't mean I have to support them in that offered format. I do wish them well though.

Yeah, protecting their licenses from my money.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
JohnnySake wrote:

Protecting their licenses from simply being downloaded and then put up on NyaaTorrents or some other torrent place.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
JohnnySake wrote:

Protecting their licenses from simply being downloaded and then put up on NyaaTorrents or some other torrent place.

I don't believe that has any practical effect, though. In actual reality, I checked all of the JManga titles that interested me and at this moment, every single one of them already had scans illegally distributed online (and in English too since they were scanlated).

Plus, it would be trivial to rip JManga's content.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
It would be trivial, but it would be less trivial than simply downloading an archive and uploading it. Downloading each individual page (or writing a script to do that for you) would be far less trivial.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Ahhhh, Zettai Shōjo Seiiki Amnesian! I would have been interested, but then I found out about the ending and then interest dropped into a never-ending dark void! Confused
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Hmm, the scanlations for Trinity Blood have been wonky for years now (no idea how far TP got in their translations) and the manga is finally approaching where the anime ended, I'll have to look into this!

TP finished 12 volumes of the manga. Haven't read anything beyond 12, as I believe only one volume and a few chapters have been written since then. 12 finishes the story of Istvan but starts a new tale that we will never see. I tend to feel that the first story wraps nicely and will just pretend that the new arc doesn't exist.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I don't believe that has any practical effect, though. In actual reality, I checked all of the JManga titles that interested me and at this moment, every single one of them already had scans illegally distributed online (and in English too since they were scanlated).

Plus, it would be trivial to rip JManga's content.

And there's stuff on there that only have the first chapter scanlated. Like... Ninja Papa.

Personally I paid the $10 sub fee for that 1st volume and next month, when I'm charged again, I'll probably get that one about the anesthesiologist. That comic looked interesting. I do wish the volumes where cheaper then 899 points though. 699 would be a decent middle ground I think.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:

As if that wasn't already happening?

Anyway, nice to see they are servicing the yuri and yaoi demographics. Now if we could just get some slightly better quality yuri...
Lynx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
Listing titles is nice and all but I would actually like to be able to buy them. I'm still waiting for some of the 17 titles listed last week to become available for purchase. It would be nice to get an actual release date or something of the sort.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2