• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dragon Quest Press Conference to Be Streamed Live

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
While it would apparently be a blasphemy to suggest that DQ get some other artist do the designs, every single piece of fanart and every doujishi, even the ugly ones, still look better than Toriyama's designs.

The guy has not changed in 30 years. Sure, Leiji hasn't changed in 50, but at least his designs are nice to look at.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
sorry Toriyama design > most people's design. they can hire another one, but it will probably fail and make the fans hate them. Sale goes down as the result.

you can hate dragon ball, the re-release Dragon Ball still sell better than 95% of the anime out there.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
Oh boo. I love Dragon Quest and Toriyama's designs work very well!

Excited about the press conference. Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Toriyama's Dragon Quest work is just fine. The only thing I'm concerned about is the lack of new monsters. For the most part, the monsters have remained the same. The work Toriyama did for the character creation designs in DQIX were good. Some didn't even look like his own familiar style.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:06 am Reply with quote
Toriyama's One shots(Jiya and Kintoki), from last year are pretty interesting. too bad he won't write long series anymore.

I think All the characters from DQIX is from Toriyama's manga. it's just not all from dragon ball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1