• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kotoko to Sing Shakugan no Shana III (Final) Opening

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
After watching the trailer, I'm all fired up to see it! (Lame pun intended)

It's been a long time coming and if the trailer is anything to be believed, it looks like they're not going to leave anything on the table. I'm not familiar with the light novels beyond the whopping two volumes Viz has released in English so I'm anxious to see what kind of new faces there'll be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The American Average

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
I never saw what was so awesome about Shana I thought It was an slightly above average anime like Fate/Stay Night, could someone explain why it's so popular? Embarassed
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:46 am Reply with quote
Shana is pretty much what gave Rie Kugimiya her tsundere fame, and Shana is by far my personal favorite between all her (now) many tsundere characters. It has some pretty memorable moments and fights, but mostly it's popular because of the main character herself. Personally, I like the world-building and setup involved. The idea of using 'Torches' to relax the emotional strain caused by someone close to you dying is interesting, as well as the whole balance needing to be maintained by the Flame Hazes against the Guze no Tomogara (bad guys). If you didn't understand that, don't worry, Shana is loaded with similar terms that you'll simply learn to accept and possibly even understand after watching it.

Anyway, why not Mami Kawada? I loved Joint Sad

Doesn't Kotoko usually do the 2nd OP and Kawada the 1st? Don't get me wrong. I love Kotoko's work (and if the song can be as ear-pleasing as their themes for Kannazuki no Miko, then I certainly welcome the change), but with Shana in particular, the Mami Kawada songs are simply better.

Last edited by Megiddo on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Kouta6769

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Doesn't Kotoko usually do the 2nd OP and Kawada the 1st? Don't get me wrong. I love Kotoko's work (and if the song can be as ear-pleasing as their themes for Kannazuki no Miko, then I certainly welcome the change), but with Shana in particular, the Mami Kawada songs are simply better.

Probably because Mami Kawada did the opening theme to Shana-S. Of course Since Kotoko is doing the first theme to Shana III, Mami Kawada will most likely do the 2nd.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote
Ah, that's a very good point. It seems Kawada actually did both OP and ED for Shana S, so it is indeed Kotoko's turn now. Thanks for reminding me.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote
I also agree that you can't have Shana without Mami Kawada, as she's done the theme songs for every Shana anime to date, including the movie. It's great to hear that Maon Kurosaki is doing the ED though.
nght5tlkr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:02 am Reply with quote
Wait, I'VE isn't doing the opening?! I like supercell and all, but I thought I'VE had already staked their claim on the Shana, Hayate, and Railgun franchises. I hope ryo's song is at least similarly styled. Perhaps something like 恋は戦争 or 嘘つきのパレード from supercell's first album.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Kouta6769 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Probably because Mami Kawada did the opening theme to Shana-S. Of course Since Kotoko is doing the first theme to Shana III, Mami Kawada will most likely do the 2nd.

Mami Kawada and KOTOKO have often gone hand-in-hand, so I'd be surprise if she doesn't come back for either the second opening or ending, unless they plan to save her for Index, which may come back again next year. Regardless seeing Maon Kurosaki doing the ending is interesting. I guess she's quickly becoming a part of the studio's main lineup after doing a good job with Index II. To see her on a Shana project though is a surprise. I was hoping they would keep the consistency with the duo of Mami Kawada and KOTOKO.

Quote:
Wait, I'VE isn't doing the opening?!

KOTOKO is a part of I've as is Mami Kawada, but I think the more interesting thing is that KOTOKO is not helping in composing her own song this time like she has done in the past.
karenai_hana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
^It was announced last month that KOTOKO has left I've. Her upcoming album "Hiraku Uchuu Pocket" will still have songs by I've composers, along with songs by other composers as well.

Her official site under the Warner Home Video label:
http://www.whv-amusic.com/kotoko/index2.html
nght5tlkr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

Quote:
Wait, I'VE isn't doing the opening?!

KOTOKO is a part of I've as is Mami Kawada, but I think the more interesting thing is that KOTOKO is not helping in composing her own song this time like she has done in the past.

Trust me, I know who I'VE is/was composed of. None of the I'VE members are writing, composing, arranging, or singing the song.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
I never saw what was so awesome about Shana I thought It was an slightly above average anime like Fate/Stay Night, could someone explain why it's so popular? Embarassed
I watched it with zero info on what it was about and it really surprised me. Honestly. compared to most anime it's got great writing/story. The characters arn't so special but I do find them above average except Sakai Yuji whom I hate with a passion. The most entiicng aspect honestly is the world they created. Not just in the present, but they also have a great backstory and such. Shana herself is also very epic. Glad to see Ko Otani is also returning for the OST.

Edit: Also has one of the best OSTs in anime.

edit 2: Anyone know how many episodes this will be? Watching the trailer makes me think it's gonna be over 24/26 due to the amount of new characters added in...unless they're all just gonna be minor characters. I havn't read the LNs so I don't know if they can fit it all in 24/26 episodes or if they need more...anyone have an educated guess based on the LNs?
filus69

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't hurt if ANN would finally fix the realease date of XXII novel. It''s not September but October 10th.
Check official Dengeki website: http://dengekibunko.dengeki.com/new/index.php#top1
You can also find cover and description for final volume. Someone already translated it (description ofc not whole novel that isn't out yet xD) but I don't wanna spoil myself, so I didn't read it.
TJR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote

I think it's significantly better than Fate/Stay Night (which I thought was average at best), but yeah, I agree with slightly above average.

The popularity of Shana and other light novels aimed at the same audience largely lies in the characters and how they interact. Throw in a lot of "cool" elements to the universe/backstory and some flashy action, and you've got an appealing package.

Quote:
I havn't read the LNs so I don't know if they can fit it all in 24/26 episodes or if they need more...anyone have an educated guess based on the LNs?

As far as I know, the Shana adaptations are fairly loose. Instead of animating cut down versions of the novels, the director/writers opted to craft their own continuity (which allowed them to control the pacing while drilling through several volumes of source, as well as to maintain a focused and cohesive structure for each season) by combining original writing with key plot and character developments from the source.

I'd imagine that Season 3 will be adapted in a similar way. It's a risky writing strategy, but if done properly, episode count is less of an issue.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:

I think it's significantly better than Fate/Stay Night (which I thought was average at best), but yeah, I agree with slightly above average.

The popularity of Shana and other light novels aimed at the same audience largely lies in the characters and how they interact. Throw in a lot of "cool" elements to the universe/backstory and some flashy action, and you've got an appealing package.

Quote:
I havn't read the LNs so I don't know if they can fit it all in 24/26 episodes or if they need more...anyone have an educated guess based on the LNs?

As far as I know, the Shana adaptations are fairly loose. Instead of animating cut down versions of the novels, the director/writers opted to craft their own continuity (which allowed them to control the pacing while drilling through several volumes of source, as well as to maintain a focused and cohesive structure for each season) by combining original writing with key plot and character developments from the source.

I'd imagine that Season 3 will be adapted in a similar way. It's a risky writing strategy, but if done properly, episode count is less of an issue.
Cool. That just means I need to pick up the LN at some point in time to enjoy the series more than I already have. Thanks for the reply.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1