• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, TV Tokyo Sue YouTube Users for Unauthorized Anime Uploading

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll .... Sue YouTube Users for Unauthorized Anime Uploading

think I just found the definition of "ironic"
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"permanently remove the illegal uploads of infringing parties from file-sharing services and to obtain legal relief against infringers."

I loled. This will NEVER happen. There's plenty of other places to get these shows and the "Customer opportunities" wouldnt happen anyway. The shows are free on CR a week later...if these "pirates" wanted to watch it for free they're going to do so...they're not gonna pay for it when there's plenty of free ways to watch it on the net. If anything, these lawsuits will just cost the companies more money and that's it.

"
Sorraffy wrote:

"

Haha I forgot all about that +1
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
For Crunchyroll I imagine its more about pleasing their Japanese masters than anything else.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:

Yeah, that just annoys the hell out of me. Way to go Crunchyroll, stop those people from doing exactly the same as you were.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Nobody will understand the suffering of TV Tokyo and Toei... Curse you Youtube users!! Ruining the popularity of anime and reducing sales of DVDs!!
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Nobody will understand the suffering of TV Tokyo and Toei... Curse you Youtube users!! Ruining the popularity of anime and reducing sales of DVDs!!

It has nothing to do with the sales of DVDs. As you can plainly see, it has everything to do with the streaming rights. If it had anything to do with the DVDs, we would have been hearing about VIZ in the picture, but we don't. Crunchyroll and TV Tokyo are giving you a place where you can watch something for free AND they generate revenue. If people aren't watching it there where they're providing it for you, they aren't making money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
If I can get an account infraction on Youtube for uploading a random 10 second clip to show to a friend, this doesn't seem like it's a disproportionate reaction to people uploading entire episodes.

Last edited by Veers on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
thaivuN

Rather than targetting little rats like Youtubers, shouldn't Crunchyroll be chasing after Illegal Anime distribution sites that gets 5 or 6 digit daily viewership and most importantly AD REVENUE?
FaytLein

Ah piracy...the eternal struggle. When will this kind of stuff end? Virtually everything is streamed as quickly as possible, and people are still not satisfied? Ugh.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the defendants reside in the United States, Japan, Canada, Denmark, and Hungary

It will surprise me if legal action is successfully taken against defendants in all countries named. One suspects that the legal procedures required for Crunchyroll to prosecute the unspecified number of Hungarians will be complicated to say the least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I would say that uploading a show that will be available for free on Crunchyroll is such a dickish stupid thing that they deserve to be sued into oblivion.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this is an ironic development given Crunchyroll's origins, but that's beside the point. They went legit and are now playing by legit rules, so they have to act to enforce the best interests of themselves and the companies that they have licensing arrangements with.

And given their origins, they certainly know that this won't accomplish much directly, so I think they're doing it more to make a point than because they have any hope of recouping damages. Fansubbers and YouTube posters have been ripping off almost everything that Crunchyroll streams, but notice that CR only mentioned its most high-profile titles in this case. They targeted the format that could most easily be regulated (YouTube) and the titles of theirs that would be most worth trying to do something about, while implying that they could do more if/when they feel so inclined. That smacks of a much more calculated move than most of the past efforts that Funimation and other companies have made in this direction.

thaivuN wrote:
Rather than targetting little rats like Youtubers, shouldn't Crunchyroll be chasing after Illegal Anime distribution sites that gets 5 or 6 digit daily viewership and most importantly AD REVENUE?

I've wondered about this, too. Those are much more flagrant offenses and they aren't hard to find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Key is right. This is a measured response designed to serve notice that they are watching, and that their Japanese investors are not happy.

These are not small-timers. Over 200 million unauthorized hits is a HUGE volume over a three month period and represents a significant amount of ad revenue. (At least in my opinion...)
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with this. Watching anime on YouTube is dumb.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:

Doesn't Chrunchyroll upload episodes legally on their website? Confused
Perhaps i have missed something...

Last edited by Hawkwing on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7