• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tiger & Bunny TV Anime to Get English Dub

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zags

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Most obvious announcement ever.

Still, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with this.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked ... shocked to find that gambling is going on in here.

Well, this is good news and pretty sensible. I suppose that it will be an Los Angeles production then. I look forward to seeing who will be cast. Anybody want to make odds on the chance that Steve Blum'll be slotted in somewhere?

I wonder if they'll try an alternative name for the North American market. The series has a good reputation among the faithful, but it might be harder to get any further than that with a title that has the word Bunny in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
What are they going to rename it? "The Anime Superhero Knock-Off Show"? Laughing "Tiger & Bunny" works, and once you check out the show the title never matters. Anime has a history of weird names anyway-"Bleach," anyone?

This was predictable. Next prediction: its air date on [Adult Swim] and a honest-to-goodness sequel.

Okay, VA guessing time: Who is Vic Mignonia going to play in this one? Laughing
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I thought Viz's main VO contacts were in Canada....

Anyway, this was a no-brainer. Only thing I hope is that the November announcement isn't for a live-action version.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Well, this is good news and pretty sensible. I suppose that it will be an Los Angeles production then. I look forward to seeing who will be cast. Anybody want to make odds on the chance that Steve Blum'll be slotted in somewhere?

If Steve Blum is Kotetsu I will be a very happy girl.

Surrender Artist wrote:
I wonder if they'll try an alternative name for the North American market. The series has a good reputation among the faithful, but it might be harder to get any further than that with a title that has the word Bunny in it.

I think a subtitle would be appropriate rather than a retitle. Maybe something like Tiger & Bunny: The NeXT Generation of Heroes or something? Something that would help to nerf the 'cutesy' effect of having Bunny in there? Or maybe they'll just change it to Tiger & Barnaby? But then Barnaby sounds like Barney the Dinosaur or Barnaby Bear to me too.

I think if it got airing later on on Cartoon Network or something it could do well. But in this climate anime TV wise I doubt that's likely.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

They have been using LA studios like Studiopolis and Salami for awhile now for a lot for their recent anime titles. It seems likely they'll follow the same suit for this one.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I;ve got a few VA ideas so far. Let me know what you think

Kotetsu: Troy Baker or Travis Willingham
Barnaby: Johnny Young Bosch
Blue Rose: Michelle Ruff
Dragon Kid: Laura Bailey
Origami Cyclone: Yuri Lowenthal
Sky High: Patrick Seitz
Rock Bison: Kyle Herbert
Lunatic: Crispin Freeman
Maverick: Kirk Thorton
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Due to how big and successful the show is in Japan, it's not surprising to see this great Superhero anime series is now getting an English dub and really, for those anime bashers (namely those who bash anime due to the Marvel anime being shown right now) who say that Japan can't make a good Superhero anime series, watch Tiger & Bunny and eat your heart out! Very Happy

So who will be cast as the main leads of Kotetsu and Barnaby? I personally vote for the great Steve Blum and Johnny Yong Bosch respectively.

Despite that Tiger & Bunny is a great series, the title itself however, will be a challenge to market to North American audiences though. It needs to be seen as a serious series and having something like "Bunny" added into the title will be misleading others into thinking that it would be something cutesy.

Regardless, I'm so excited for this and I can't wait to see it dubbed!
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Not so much surprising news as very, very exciting Smile

GracieLizzy wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

If Steve Blum is Kotetsu I will be a very happy girl.

Seconded all the way! His is the first (and only) voice that came to my mind regarding Kotetsu.

GracieLizzy wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

I think a subtitle would be appropriate rather than a retitle. Maybe something like Tiger & Bunny: The NeXT Generation of Heroes or something? Something that would help to nerf the 'cutesy' effect of having Bunny in there? Or maybe they'll just change it to Tiger & Barnaby? But then Barnaby sounds like Barney the Dinosaur or Barnaby Bear to me too.

I have been saying this all along the title made me think "oh, cutesy, moe stuff? Not for me." Now, I have no brainstorms on what Tiger and Bunny could be called that would appeal to an American audience. Hmm...I guess depending on the way they market this Viz could keep the same handle. They just need to really push the whole "superhero" aspect.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

They have been using LA studios like Studiopolis and Salami for awhile now for a lot for their recent anime titles. It seems likely they'll follow the same suit for this one.

I could see them using Studiopolis which has a lot of experience with superhero shows actually.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they don't use Ocean, which seems to have been phoning in their anime dubs lately.
corinthian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
I;ve got a few VA ideas so far. Let me know what you think
Lunatic: Crispin Freeman

If this happens the series will jump to the top of my wish list. If anybody could rock vigilantism in bell-bottoms...
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Viz won't get the home video rights to this (or maybe they already do?). I have a feeling it would be another unfinished series.
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
If "Tiger & Bunny" won't work as a title for US views how about "Wild Tiger" instead.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I just hope they don't use Ocean, which seems to have been phoning in their anime dubs lately.

See I like Ocean because I have a soft spot for many of their VAs, but I've heard a few people say they've been less than impressed with Ocean recently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4